buyer's item was not received but the address was wrong

Anyone have any advice or insight on this?
A buyer in australia opened a case this morning for an item not received. Item entered Australia March 22 but not other updates. I remember the address being weird & was going to call the place to see if they remember receiving an ebay package but when I googled the address to get the number (it's a post office on a university campus) I saw the address the buyer provided was missing Kensigton, NSW which is pretty important.
First ebay Rep didn't understand anything. Second Rep said all I need is tracking showing it made it to Australia, then said the buyer uses lots of different addresses so she was messaging him asking to confirm the address.
Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

FWIW- "problem with buyer address" is a valid reason for cancellation without seller defect.

You don't have to refund if you don't get the item back.

Postal codes indicate at the least the city and state the shipment is going to.

K1A 0A6 is the House of Commons in Ottawa.

K indicates Eastern Ontario KIA Parliament Hill, 0A6 House of Commons.

Canadian postal codes are each a 'postal walk'. One carrier may cover several walks in a shift, because most urban walks are about a city block.

Australia has much shorter postal codes usually only four digits.  But the principle remains.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

You can still get a negative feedback for cancelling & who has time to research every address to make sure someone didn't leave out a huge chunk of it.
And the item was shipped to Australia, we're not talking Canadian Postal codes that are broken down block by block which I know thanks
Message 3 of 6
latest reply

I would think that the postal code would tell the post office the city and state so the fact those were missing may not be the problem.  Usually if an item isn’t delivered because there is a problem with the address then the tracking would reflect that so it’s possible the package is lost somewhere or stuck in customs.

I don’t know why a cs rep would tell you that the package would only have to reach Australia because you need proof of delivery to win an inr.  Or if tracking showed that the item couldn't be delivered because of a problem with the address then you could get the case closed because the buyer wouldn’t be covered under the Mbg. But without any proof that the address is the problem I’m sure that eBay will expect you to refund.  If you wait until the buyer asks them to step on and you lose, you will get an unresolved case defect.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

If the buyer opens an INR, and the seller promptly refunds without arguing, then there should be no Defect.

The Defect happens if the seller refuses to refund.

In that case, the buyer is refunded by eBay which then comes after the seller for the money.

And the obdurate seller gets the Defect.

And the refunded buyer can leave appropriate feedback.

If the item turns up later, the buyer can use Paypal's Send Money service to return the refund. It is a good idea for the seller to include this information with the refund, because most buyers are honest but are also baffled about how to refund a refund.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

If the buyer opens an INR, and the seller promptly refunds without arguing, then there should be no Defect.

The Defect happens if the seller refuses to refund.

I'm not sure if you meant to post to me but I am  aware of all of that which is why I said "If you wait until the buyer asks them to step on and you lose, you will get an unresolved case defect."

Message 6 of 6
latest reply