defect when nothing went wrong?

was just looking at my performance record for the first time in a while..

I noticed I have a defect but why..

Basically what happens from what i remember in the only situation a case has been opened against me was when someone bought 2 games from Montreal. One day 1 arrived the guy opened a case "then asked me if i shipped it separate" instead of asking than opening a case... This was around Christmas so I said the hours are messed up so one might of slipped out of sorting before the other and some days there were only 4 hour days so wait a few. The next day he closed the case and told be the game arrived why do I still have a defect under item not received..

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I would try to call ebay and have it removed if I were you. There are sometimes grounds to do so. This might be one of those times. 

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Because he opened a case. An opened case = a defect if it is closed by the buyer or ebay.
Message 2 of 5
latest reply

I would try to call ebay and have it removed if I were you. There are sometimes grounds to do so. This might be one of those times. 

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

ok I will thanks. 

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Since the Spring Seller Update (2014), eBay counts every case that is opened for "Item Not Received" or "Item Not as Described" as a defect, regardless of the ultimate outcome (i.e. regardless of whether the item arrives, in the case of INR, or the seller refunds, in the case of INAD).  

Compounding this issue of course is the problem of buyers "accidentally" opening cases when all they really want from the seller is an update.  EBay has changed some of the buyer experience in this regard, but in my view the communication process is still not separated sufficiently from the case opening flow.

You can try calling eBay to get this removed if you have a lot of time to spare, but I think your chances of having the defect removed aren't good.  If you have any subsequent messages from the buyer saying that he opened the case in error, that could help.  

EBay made a decision in the spring of 2014 that anything that reflects buyer dissatisfaction, even if only temporary, and even if cheerfully and promptly remedied by the seller, is worth a defect.  Their basis for this thinking was that buyer dissatisfaction would mean buyers would not return to eBay to buy. 

Whether eBay was right in supporting that principle in the way they have is debatable, but we're now stuck with it.  This also means that eBay is now holding sellers responsible for some events that are totally out of our hands (such as delays in delivery of parcels).  

For reference, here is the Q&A from the Update that pertains to opened cases, with the link to the 2014 Spring Seller Update below: 

"Why is eBay counting opened cases, returns, and detailed seller ratings of 3 for item not as described?

The data shows that receiving an item that is not what the buyer expected based on the seller's listing is the single greatest cause of a buyer deciding not to purchase again or purchase more often on eBay.

What is considered an opened case?

An opened case is a case filed for an item not received or not as described through the eBay Money Back Guarantee or through PayPal Purchase Protection that passes checks for eligibility or fraud."  

http://pages.ebay.ca/sellerinformation/news/springupdate2014/sellerstandards.html

Message 5 of 5
latest reply