eBay Labels - Item Lost in Transit

I had my first one of these today (item lost in transit by the USPS, Tracked Packet USA).  I'm making this post in part because eBay has never told us how we're supposed to handle this, so I'm prodding devon@ebay to get us an official answer. 

I've refunded the buyer. It went out for delivery about 2 weeks ago, never actually got delivered, then bounced around some sorting facilities. The address is valid according to Canada Post's address complete. I've filed a claim with Canada Post (we'll see how that goes).

Message 1 of 20
latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

@flipistics wrote:

I had my first one of these today (item lost in transit by the USPS, Tracked Packet USA).  I'm making this post in part because eBay has never told us how we're supposed to handle this, so I'm prodding devon@ebay to get us an official answer. 

I've refunded the buyer. It went out for delivery about 2 weeks ago, never actually got delivered, then bounced around some sorting facilities. The address is valid according to Canada Post's address complete. I've filed a claim with Canada Post (we'll see how that goes).

@flipistics 

Discussion started 12/2023. No follow up from eBay

https://community.ebay.ca/t5/Community-eBay-Site-Issues/Opening-a-CP-claim-when-using-eBay-Labels/td...

Discussion started 6/22/2023 - Indirectly mentioned in Line item 17. (Claims can be both ways)

https://community.ebay.ca/t5/Community-eBay-Site-Issues/eBay-Label-Concerns/td-p/496069

Problem was reported by another seller in 2022. Does not appear like that situation was resolved or a workable solution was devised. 1 poster had it take 6 months to get a refund.

https://community.ebay.ca/t5/Community-eBay-Site-Issues/WARNING-You-can-t-get-back-for-Canada-Post-i...

-Lotz

Message 2 of 20
latest reply

@flipistics wrote:

Hi @flipistics! Let me reach out to a few different teams to get some clarification on how this is supposed to be handled. 

Message 3 of 20
latest reply

devon@ebay wrote:

@flipistics wrote:

Hi @flipistics! Let me reach out to a few different teams to get some clarification on how this is supposed to be handled. 

Hi devon@ebay ,

Similar discussion and the problems involved when using UPS in the USA. Exasperated because eBay is the account owner on record. So just not a ca problem. 

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Shipping/UPS-Next-Day-Delivery-Refund/m-p/34391415#M475537

-Lotz

Message 4 of 20
latest reply

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

devon@ebay wrote:

@flipistics wrote:

Hi devon@ebay ,

Similar discussion and the problems involved when using UPS in the USA. Exasperated because eBay is the account owner on record. So just not a ca problem. 

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Shipping/UPS-Next-Day-Delivery-Refund/m-p/34391415#M475537

-Lotz

Hi @lotzofuniquegoodies! What I was told from the Shipping team is that the seller will need to  open a search request here: https://www.usps.com/help/missing-mail.htm

Message 5 of 20
latest reply

devon@ebay wrote:

devon@ebay wrote:

@flipistics wrote:

Hi devon@ebay ,

-Lotz

Hi @lotzofuniquegoodies! What I was told from the Shipping team is that the seller will need to  open a search request here: https://www.usps.com/help/missing-mail.htm

@flipistics 

devon@ebay  That would be fine if Canadian sellers used USPS but  we use Canadapost. Claim needs to be generated within their system. If required CP contacts USPS with any required details and contact info.

-Lotz

Message 6 of 20
latest reply

devon@ebay wrote:

devon@ebay wrote:

@flipistics wrote:

Hi devon@ebay ,

-Lotz

devon@ebay  That doesn't really help when the item hasn't moved for a week and you have a buyer open a claim.  Even if it started moving again, you'd have to refund the buyer to satisfy the claim before it reached them. There has to be some sort of process to protect the seller in this kind of situation.

Message 7 of 20
latest reply

@flipistics wrote:

devon@ebay  That doesn't really help when the item hasn't moved for a week and you have a buyer open a claim.  Even if it started moving again, you'd have to refund the buyer to satisfy the claim before it reached them. There has to be some sort of process to protect the seller in this kind of situation.

The process is simple, you refund the buyer and make a claim against Canada Post (if the package has insurance).

Out of curiosity where is the location of the most recent scan? There are several "hot spots" for delays in the US due to the restructuring and amalgamation of USPS facilities.

Currently there are several areas with lengthy delays, one of them is Georgia, Houston was also a big problem but I believe that one has resolved.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 8 of 20
latest reply

If the shipment is returned to you as Undeliverable, you have the item back (which you refunded).

This can take a long long time.

I got a return from Uruguay today that was mailed with tracking in August 2023.

Message 9 of 20
latest reply

So, an unhappy update. Canada Post denied the claim saying they contacted the buyer and the item had been delivered. Tracking still does not indicate that, but they did retroactively update (and change) part of the tracking to say that the package was redirected to the recipient's new address about a month ago (it did NOT indicate that a few days ago).

It just shows how reliant we are on the tracking actually being properly updated.  I'm thinking the buyer may have moved and had their mail held, and that occurred at a central facility bundled with all the other mail for that person, hence no tracking updates.  Oh well, at least it wasn't an expensive item.  The investigation wouldn't have concluded before having to deal with the eBay claim, so there was nothing I could have done.

Message 10 of 20
latest reply

If you can get this information organized in an easy-to-digest manner along with some sort of proof via Canada Post & USPS, you might have some luck with eBay covering the refund as a courtesy. 

Before doing that, you should contact the buyer and explain that Canada Post states the item was successfully forwarded to their new address. Ask them for a follow up. If they admit it arrived, request repayment via Paypal, eTransfer, or by making an identically priced generic eBay listing that they can use to repay you with "Private listing for Bob" type listing.

You may want to double-check this, but as of a few months ago you were allowed to request repayment outside eBay from a previous customer who was refunded. Additionally, eBay might be more likely to cover the refund if you can show them you reached out to the buyer and they either ghosted you, or admitted that it arrived. 

With that said, if this is a cheap item it may not be worth the additional time required to chase down the possibility that the buyer will pay for the item, or eBay will offer you a courtesy refund. 

Message 11 of 20
latest reply

@ilikehockeyjerseys wrote:

If you can get this information organized in an easy-to-digest manner along with some sort of proof via Canada Post & USPS, you might have some luck with eBay covering the refund as a courtesy. 

Before doing that, you should contact the buyer and explain that Canada Post states the item was successfully forwarded to their new address. Ask them for a follow up. If they admit it arrived, request repayment via Paypal, eTransfer, or by making an identically priced generic eBay listing that they can use to repay you with "Private listing for Bob" type listing.

You may want to double-check this, but as of a few months ago you were allowed to request repayment outside eBay from a previous customer who was refunded. Additionally, eBay might be more likely to cover the refund if you can show them you reached out to the buyer and they either ghosted you, or admitted that it arrived. 

With that said, if this is a cheap item it may not be worth the additional time required to chase down the possibility that the buyer will pay for the item, or eBay will offer you a courtesy refund. 

Yeah, I'd possibly pursue it on a more expensive item, but I'm not going to on this. It does highlight a critical issue in the process though.  When mail gets stuck and a buyer opens a case, the case will have to be dealt with before any investigation concludes by the postal system. There needs to be a process in place with eBay where the buyer or seller (or both) open an inquiry with the postal system a few days before any INR claim can be made.  90% of the time the item will likely be found and start moving again.

Message 12 of 20
latest reply

@recped wrote:

@flipistics wrote:

The process is simple, you refund the buyer and make a claim against Canada Post (if the package has insurance).

Out of curiosity where is the location of the most recent scan? There are several "hot spots" for delays in the US due to the restructuring and amalgamation of USPS facilities.

Currently there are several areas with lengthy delays, one of them is Georgia, Houston was also a big problem but I believe that one has resolved.

@flipistics 

devon@ebay 

This message is in regards to damaged, lost and late shipments with CP/Fedex/UPS and the claims procedures shipping using eBay Labels.

I recently submitted a claim to Canadapost for a damaged shipment. April 1, 2024. I provided the ebay email address and phone number shown on file. I have an official ticket number from Canadapost. According to the ticket I would be contacted within 5 business days. So far this hasn't happened. I followed up with Canadapost this morning. There response was they try to get a hold of the receiver 2 times. If they have no luck the claim is cancelled. I am unsure if eBay email addresses ONLY work between eBay parties. Not outside sources. They (CP) have advised me i need to follow up with my buyer and have them contact CP to get the claim resolved.

In a previous message you provided us with a link to USPS for claims. (Your post #5.) This will not work for something shipped with CP. If CP needs to contact USPS for any follow up they will do that part. The other concern is the any shipments created with eBay Labels have eBay's customer number attached. This puts eBay partially in the middle with limited information to assist the process.

Can you clarify the process please for Canadian eBay sellers for submitting a claim. Stating just refund the buyer does not assist the seller when it comes to retrieving any lost funds. Is there any way to access an actual email address for the buyer to assist with the process?

-Lotz

Message 13 of 20
latest reply

I also very recently submitted a claim on a Tracked Packet USA label (damaged item), so I'll report any updates.

So far, this is how it has gone:

3/28/24 - Filed claim on Canada Post website. Received email confirming that claim had been filed.

4/10/24 - Received email from Canada Post claims department saying they were unable to get a hold of the buyer. I had only provided a phone number (I have no idea what that email address eBay provides for the buyer corresponds to or if it even works as a regular email address). Canada Post said the phone number I had supplied was "not in service" and asked for me to provide another point of contact, with an email address beng the preferred method. I reached out to the buyer and asked for email address.

4/12/24 - Replied to the previous email from Canada Post and gave them the email address for the buyer.

4/14/24 - Received another email from claims department thanking me for the information and stating they will proceed with the investigation. Email indicated "most claims are completed within 10-15 business days".

Message 14 of 20
latest reply

@dinomitesales wrote:

I also very recently submitted a claim on a Tracked Packet USA label (damaged item), so I'll report any updates.

3/28/24 - Filed claim on Canada Post website. Received email confirming that claim had been filed.

4/10/24 - Received email from Canada Post claims department saying they were unable to get a hold of the buyer. I had only provided a phone number (I have no idea what that email address eBay provides for the buyer corresponds to or if it even works as a regular email address). Canada Post said the phone number I had supplied was "not in service" and asked for me to provide another point of contact, with an email address beng the preferred method. I reached out to the buyer and asked for email address.

4/12/24 - Replied to the previous email from Canada Post and gave them the email address for the buyer.

4/14/24 - Received another email from claims department thanking me for the information and stating they will proceed with the investigation. Email indicated "most claims are completed within 10-15 business days".

@dinomitesales 

devon@ebay 

Once the customer has been refunded communication from my past experience drops off the map because there is little reason from their end to assist to help complete the claims process.

-Lotz

Message 15 of 20
latest reply

@dinomitesales wrote:

@dinomitesales 

devon@ebay 

Once the customer has been refunded communication from my past experience drops off the map because there is little reason from their end to assist to help complete the claims process.

-Lotz

@dinomitesales 

What addy were you able to provide? the one we receive from eBay or a personal email address you had to retrieve direct from the buyer?

devon@ebay 

Attached is the email I just received from Canadapost for a recent what should have been a simple request to claim for damages.

To process a claim for damage or loss of contents, we need the addressee to respond to our request for details about the item (including pictures). 

The addressee has not responded to our attempts to contact them, and we are unable to proceed with your claim. 

If you are in contact with the addressee, you may wish to let them know that they need to respond to the questionnaire we sent to them. We will reassess the claim accordingly once we receive the required information.

Any problems a seller has creating a ticket are caused directly by the limited amount information we are able to provide to CP. This is causing claims to be rejected majority of time. Is eBay looking into doing anything to assist with this process?

-Lotz

Message 16 of 20
latest reply

I sent the buyer a message on eBay asking them for their real email address so I could use it on my Canada Post claim. So the buyer is aware of what I was doing and why I needed it. No response from either party though (yet).

Message 17 of 20
latest reply

An interesting twist to my claim! The buyer contacted me again hoping that the item had been returned to me because they still wanted it. They said that Canada Post DID contact them and they told Canada Post they DID NOT receive the item.  Canada Post denied the claim originally stating that the buyer said they had received it.

Message 18 of 20
latest reply

@flipistics wrote:

An interesting twist to my claim! The buyer contacted me again hoping that the item had been returned to me because they still wanted it. They said that Canada Post DID contact them and they told Canada Post they DID NOT receive the item.  Canada Post denied the claim originally stating that the buyer said they had received it.

<<<<<<bump>>>>>>

@flipistics 

@dinomitesales 

devon@ebay Are you able to comment on this issue please? Problem being to ease processing a claim a VALID email address and/or phone number are required so Canadapost/USPS can contact the customer.

-Lotzofuniquegoodies

Message 19 of 20
latest reply

I won't speak for Devon but the easy way is to simply ask the buyer for that information. If you have been in a recent transaction there is no problem from an eBay perpective.

Buyer phone numbers are already provided in the Order Details although that is for a limited time (14 days from the sale?).

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 20 of 20
latest reply