eBay Needs To Change The Times For Non Paying Bidders

I am getting sick of the amount of Non Paying Bidders lately. They should not be given more than 2 days to pay & then we sellers should be able to open a case against them right away. And then if they don't pay within another 2 days we should be able to close the case & get our fees back. The way it is now gives the buyer 4 days to pay before we can open a case & another 4 days for them to pay after the case is opened.  8 days is ridiculous. 4 days would be plenty. 

Message 1 of 23
latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

@2nd-time-around-jewelry 

My most recent 2 unpaid were 4 days + 10 days. Both were for the UK. Are there different rules for based on the eBay sites? 14 days is very excessive.

-Lotz

Message 2 of 23
latest reply

That's crazy.  Why would they extend the time by so many days for an international sale?  I have only had non paying buyers from Canada & the US.

Message 3 of 23
latest reply

@2nd-time-around-jewelry 

I believe they were items I sent random offers. I always note shipping as per calculator so they are able to confirm prior to accepting the offer. Unfortunately with not being able to see who you are sending offers to, it makes things very difficult to "screen". At least when you receive an offer you can see a bit of their past history before deciding to accept or counter. Messaging these slow payers has become a lost cause.

-Lotz

Also of note when the item is a single unit it appears to get relisted automatically when the cancellation has run its course. When it's an item with multiple units you have to manually update your stock. Not sure if this is how it is supposed to work. Just what I have been seeing recently. Prior to Covid 19 I rarely had non paying buyers.

Message 4 of 23
latest reply

I just had one non-paying-buyer last week in like two years. It's a Canadian with 1 feedback score who made a low-ball-offer that I decided to accept because that book has been around for 5 years and I was like, eh, whatever... and nope, she didn't pay lol. Waiting for the case to close so that I get my FVF back lol.

Message 5 of 23
latest reply

Your example shows the stupidity of ebay. If a buyer makes an offer and you accept with no counter-offer, it should trigger immediate payment. They've already agreed to a price, why does ebay think they need time?
Message 6 of 23
latest reply

@a51split wrote:
Your example shows the stupidity of ebay. If a buyer makes an offer and you accept with no counter-offer, it should trigger immediate payment. They've already agreed to a price, why does ebay think they need time?

It would not work. Immediate payment implies the buyer is still online when you accept the offer. Most of the time, he is not.

However, I do agree that 8 days is way too long (had a 0 feedback buyer 2 weeks ago that did not pay after sending an offer that I accepted). Americans have had 4 days for a long time now (a few years at least). I don't understand why it was not changed everywhere...

Message 7 of 23
latest reply

There are certain things that we as sellers on eBay must learn to live with.... make an appropriate adjustment 

If a person does not pay,  I wait, and I wait...  and then close everything

and.. that person is put on my Blocked bidder list.

Sometimes  a buyer must learn the hard way..

---- Someone made several sales, and I shipped many times... then they bought... did not pay.. and were blocked

----  Someone made an offer... The offer was accepted.... but item was not purchased and paid  after about two weeks... buyer was blocked...  and then was unhappy when they could not buy ...

---- People get blocked  and then find out they cannot buy....  They get someone else to buy for them....  and at times  I have told then to do it .... carefully....

----  Buyer bought and did not pay....  filed unpaid item dispute  and buyer paid quickly... She had forgotten to pay, and apologized....

Message 8 of 23
latest reply

US based sellers must wait 48 hours before they can open an Unpaid Item Dispute.

All others wait 96 hours.

All sellers then wait 96 hours before we can close Unpaid Item Disputes.

That's a six day wait for US sellers and an eight day wait for the rest of us.

Message 9 of 23
latest reply

That's strange, I thought for sure it was a 4 day wait for US sellers... thanks for the clarification.

Message 10 of 23
latest reply

@lady.stark wrote:

@a51split wrote:

It would not work. Immediate payment implies the buyer is still online when you accept the offer. Most of the time, he is not.

The buyer doesn't have to be online.  As soon as the seller accepts the offer, ebay can pull the funds from the buyer's PP acct.  Then the next day when the buyer wakes up, he's greeted with a cheerful message from ebay saying he's just bought the item.

Message 11 of 23
latest reply

@a51split wrote:

@lady.stark wrote:

@a51split wrote:

The buyer doesn't have to be online.  As soon as the seller accepts the offer, ebay can pull the funds from the buyer's PP acct.  Then the next day when the buyer wakes up, he's greeted with a cheerful message from ebay saying he's just bought the item.

Unless buyers specifically gave eBay permission to do so (which no buyer in their right mind would do) that would be attempted theft or fraud. I say attempted because if PayPal allowed it then PayPal would be guilty of theft.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 12 of 23
latest reply

@recped wrote:

@a51split wrote:

Unless buyers specifically gave eBay permission to do so (which no buyer in their right mind would do) that would be attempted theft or fraud. I say attempted because if PayPal allowed it then PayPal would be guilty of theft.

If a buyer, who is logged in, enters a $ amount and sends an offer, how is that any different from clicking on a Buy-it-Now button in an auction that is set to immediate payment?

Message 13 of 23
latest reply

@recped wrote:

Unless buyers specifically gave eBay permission to do so (which no buyer in their right mind would do) 

Every buyer on ebay has given ebay permission to go into their Paypal acct and take money, then give it to the seller. 

How do you think transactions work???

Message 14 of 23
latest reply

So, I am dealing with 2 non paying bidders again. So had to open cases against them.

First one wanted to purchase an item & pay the next day. But it kept wanting immediate payment even though I do not have that set up.  Anyways it took me awhile to get that all sorted out. It has now been over 5 days & not a word from the buyer despite numerous e-mails & invoices sent.

Second buyer is very strange. They bought 2 large lots, combined shipping for them & they paid. Also left me positive feedback. They then continued buying up a large amount of items (7 Lots). But I have not heard a word from them either despite many e-mails & combined shipping invoices sent.

What bothers me the most is absolutely no communication from these buyers. If something unexpected has come up, I am more than willing to allow them some slack. Very disappointing as these sales were close to $500.00.

Message 15 of 23
latest reply

Buyer One.

Purchased IPR items, but wanted 24 hours to pay?

In my opinion, if a customer is buying without the money in hand, he is not likely to pay at all.

At it's simplest, if the buyer attaches a credit card to a PP account, he can pay the seller immediately, and pay the card at his leisure.

If his bank won't allow him credit, why should I?

The other possibility is that he has lost interest.

You opened an Unpaid Item Dispute? Don't bother with anything else.You can close it four days after opening and the buyer will get an Unpaid Item strike. He can't leave FB either, which is important because,even though it is his fault, he may be irritated by being reminded that he is a deadbeat.

Buyer Two.

The first two items were paid and shipped?  No worries there.

The next seven items are again Unpaid Item Disputes.

Make you life easier with a policy that these get one reminder (I do those on Day Three) and then the UID on Day Four.  Close 96 hours later.

Remember that eBay sent an invoice when they bought each item.

If you were combining shipping for Buyer Two, he got an invoice from you for the group.

If he is not responding, cut your losses, in time and money, and open the Disputes (all seven of them).

Message 16 of 23
latest reply

@a51split wrote:

@recped wrote:

Unless buyers specifically gave eBay permission to do so (which no buyer in their right mind would do) 

Every buyer on ebay has given ebay permission to go into their Paypal acct and take money, then give it to the seller. 

How do you think transactions work???

You have not bought on eBay recently have you?

When you pay eBay asks where the money is coming from. 

If the Buyer decides to use PayPal, then when they confirm, they are giving their permission to take funds from PayPal for that purchase -- and ONLY for that purchase.

-..-

Message 17 of 23
latest reply

Does anyone know how many unpaid strikes a buyer has to get against him to have his account restricted or suspended?  The one buyer I am dealing with now has 7 unpaid cases open against him just from me.  I don't want this to happen to other sellers.

Message 18 of 23
latest reply

what you say is not true ! i have had a similar situation when i had immediate payment required on a listing with open to offers with automatic acceptance of
of minimum set amount and offer was made and accepted automatically by the system and the buyer did not make immediate payment .
i contacted e bay and was told the buyer was not required to make immediate payment .
go figure this e bay system ! and worst of all ! the e bay reps ! i would not trust any one of them ! most are spreading dis information and out right lies and or at least pure incompetance . do not trust any of them !
Message 19 of 23
latest reply

So I waited the compulsary 8 days to close my cases against the 2 deadbeat non-paying bidders so I could receive my fees back (over $43.00 worth).  One purchased 7 large lots & never paid.  This time frame really needs to be changed.  Very unfair to us sellers to have to wait so long.  And how could this one buyer with 7 strikes against them still be allowed to purchase other items. Their account should be suspended.

Message 20 of 23
latest reply