eBay Shipping Calculator page is broken

The stand-alone eBay Shipping Calculator, at https://www.ebay.ca/shp/Calculator, is broken. No matter what values are entered, clicking the "Calculate shipping" button does nothing.

I used it successfully last week, perhaps on Monday or Tuesday. I believe it became broken sometime last week, because it was definitely broken on Friday, through the weekend and still today.

I used eBay's support chat function. The eBay support rep told me that she is able to reproduce the problem and that other sellers have reported the same issue. She said that this issue has been added to a priority list for resolution.

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

@toronto_tuttle wrote:

The stand-alone eBay Shipping Calculator, at https://www.ebay.ca/shp/Calculator, is broken. No matter what values are entered, clicking the "Calculate shipping" button does nothing.

I used it successfully last week, perhaps on Monday or Tuesday. I believe it became broken sometime last week, because it was definitely broken on Friday, through the weekend and still today.

I used eBay's support chat function. The eBay support rep told me that she is able to reproduce the problem and that other sellers have reported the same issue. She said that this issue has been added to a priority list for resolution.

@toronto_tuttle 

Tested. Same no results. Mentioned in the past that the calculator needs a zip code for US points vs just the country option. This was never corrected.

It should be the same as Canada. This message flashes for Canada.

Please enter a valid destination postal code

devon@ebay 

Is eBay getting anywhere on the long tail list of issues connected to eBay labels and the discount option for sellers to show buyers. These omissions are causing sellers sales. Buyers need to know the if a discount is applicable on shipping before they complete a transaction. Not after.

-Lotz

Message 2 of 21
latest reply

How do you folks get shipping prices when that calculator is broken?
The eBay rep suggested that I could get rates at Canada Post site and FedEx, but of course those would not show the eBay discounted rates.

Message 3 of 21
latest reply

Just to be clear, you are using metric measurements?
Canada Post went metric in 1974 and using anything else will lead to errors.

Noted for newbies who may not realize this.

@toronto_tuttle 

Isn't the customer being charged and paying the counter rate, while we use the discounted rate to cover packaging, Cookie Jar Insurance, and other minor costs?

Message 4 of 21
latest reply

Yes, of course, metric measurements. I've used that calculator many times before, so I know how it is supposed to work. And, the Shipping Calculator states that data are cm., g, and kg., so there's no Imperial option anyway.

And even if a seller mistakenly entered Imperial measurements into the metric fields, the page should still return shipping prices. Those prices would not be correct for the seller's package, since seller is working in Imperial while the calculator is based on metric, but it should still give a result. At the moment, no matter what is entered the calculator does not return a result.

As for what the customer pays, that is dependent upon what the seller sets. If the seller sets a flat rate for shipping, seller needs to know what shipping will cost to ensure profitability on the sale. The Shipping Calculator lets the seller check what shipping will cost for various weights/sizes and destinations.

If the seller sets the listing with Calculated Shipping, then various buyers will see different shipping price based on each buyer's location. It's still helpful for seller to test in the Shipping Calculator to know what pricing will be, as if it's high then it can cause buyers not to want that item.

With Calculated Shipping, I don't know if buyer sees the normal retail rate for Canada Post and FedEx or if buyer sees our discounted rates.

Message 5 of 21
latest reply

@toronto_tuttle wrote:

The eBay rep suggested that I could get rates at Canada Post site and FedEx, but of course those would not show the eBay discounted rates.

@toronto_tuttle 

It requires a calculator that is working. Guesstimating for Canada/USA/Internationally should not be necessary or required. The calculator has always (from my understanding) been based on counter rates. This has never explained why at the counter customers without small business accounts have access to Expedited. Something you only have access to with an account. Giving sellers the option became even more critical when sellers got access to the level 4 discounts. You can personally apply a % discount. Only issue being that the discount varies per service as do tax rates per province and fuel surcharges based on total. Just something that is very low on eBay's to do list for Canadian sellers.

When any eBay calculator is broken it should be fixed with the highest priority as it is an important tool. A solution shouldn't be for sellers to need to find work arounds in the mean time until it gets "figured out."

-Lotz

Message 6 of 21
latest reply

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

@toronto_tuttle wrote:

@toronto_tuttle 

The calculator has always (from my understanding) been based on counter rates.

In fact the calculator shows both counter rates and our eBay discounted rates. When you click "Calculate shipping" it first shows non-discounted rates. Then you may click a radio button (if I recall correctly) to show eBay discounted rates. The first tab shows rates for Canada Post, while second tab shows FedEx, although FedEx has been broken in the calculator for many destinations for weeks now.

When any eBay calculator is broken it should be fixed with the highest priority as it is an important tool. A solution shouldn't be for sellers to need to find work arounds in the mean time until it gets "figured out."

I agree with you. It should be a priority. The FedEx part of the calculator has been broken for ages, so who knows how long before they properly fix the calculator.

Message 7 of 21
latest reply

@toronto_tuttle wrote:

@toronto_tuttle wrote:

@toronto_tuttle 

The calculator has always (from my understanding) been based on counter rates.

In fact the calculator shows both counter rates and our eBay discounted rates. When you click "Calculate shipping" it first shows non-discounted rates. Then you may click a radio button (if I recall correctly) to show eBay discounted rates. The first tab shows rates for Canada Post, while second tab shows FedEx, although FedEx has been broken in the calculator for many destinations for weeks now.

I agree with you. It should be a priority. The FedEx part of the calculator has been broken for ages, so who knows how long before they properly fix the calculator.

@toronto_tuttle 

For clarification to this post I meant the calculator the buyer sees. Sellers have access to both. Buyer only has access to the counter option without discounts. The seller calculator is mainly an approximate point of reference tool. 

When Fedex was released as an option (almost a year ago) to sellers the calculator was not fully functional. It has been tinkered with but still hasn't been 100% fixed to correctly show the actual final rate based on all the necessary criteria. There was an earlier announcement, as an example that there should be no additional charge for either home pick up or  home deliveries. Sellers have been billed after the fact on numerous occasions at either 1 or both ends. A fee that they are unable to recover once a buyer has paid. 

-Lotz

Message 8 of 21
latest reply

When Fedex was released as an option (almost a year ago) to sellers the calculator was not fully functional. It has been tinkered with but still hasn't been 100% fixed to correctly show the actual final rate based on all the necessary criteria. There was an earlier announcement, as an example that there should be no additional charge for either home pick up or  home deliveries. Sellers have been billed after the fact on numerous occasions at either 1 or both ends. A fee that they are unable to recover once a buyer has paid. 

You are correct, FedEx rates shown in eBay have not been fixed. A few days ago I created a thread here to alert sellers to FedEx charges that occured some days after delivery of item. I had purchased the shipping label in eBay's Shipping Labels. Days after the item was delived, new charges were "fuel surcharge" and "misc fee" that amounted to almost 50% more than what eBay's Shipping Labels said the cost would be. An eBay rep opened a case about it and said that they've heard similar complaints from many sellers.

For clarification to this post I meant the calculator the buyer sees. Sellers have access to both. Buyer only has access to the counter option without discounts. The seller calculator is mainly an approximate point of reference tool. 

Before an item is listed/active, such as when it's a draft, how do sellers have access to calculator that the buyer would see? At least that would give me some information, even if I can't see the eBay discounted rates until eBay fixes the stand-alone shipping calculator.

Message 9 of 21
latest reply

@toronto_tuttle wrote:

You are correct, FedEx rates shown in eBay have not been fixed. A few days ago I created a thread here to alert sellers to FedEx charges that occured some days after delivery of item. I had purchased the shipping label in eBay's Shipping Labels. Days after the item was delived, new charges were "fuel surcharge" and "misc fee" that amounted to almost 50% more than what eBay's Shipping Labels said the cost would be. An eBay rep opened a case about it and said that they've heard similar complaints from many sellers.

Before an item is listed/active, such as when it's a draft, how do sellers have access to calculator that the buyer would see? At least that would give me some information, even if I can't see the eBay discounted rates until eBay fixes the stand-alone shipping calculator.

@toronto_tuttle 

The buyer can only see once a listing is live. They get either the flat rate...Your choice or the eBay calculator which is based on what the seller enters including shipping options and the buyers postal code/zipcode or country choice. Seller can test once it is live by plugging in an assortment of locations to confirm all is showing as per your choices.  Accurate discounted options are a work in progress from an eBay perspective. (Flat rate works fine if you selling only like items or you have the wiggle room to use.) 

-Lotz

Message 10 of 21
latest reply

I use the calculator often to check on rates and I just tried now, it is definitely not calculating anything. Button does not work when hit.

Message 11 of 21
latest reply

@toronto_tuttle 

At times posters will add information that the OP obviously knows for the less experienced members who are also reading the posts.

At the moment, no matter what is entered the calculator does not return a result.

Well that's not good.

Is this a problem when listing? Does the lack of a calculated shipping fee mean the listing stops dead?

And if not how accurate based on the CPO website is the fee that is shown?

FWIW- Your cassette cleaning head shows $4.99 standard shipping to me here on Vancouver Island.

devon@ebay 

Glitch or snafu or fubar?

Message 12 of 21
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

Is this a problem when listing? Does the lack of a calculated shipping fee mean the listing stops dead?

Without the calculator I cannot know what eBay discounted rates will be, so I don't know what shipping will cost me. Those eBay rates are less than those that we see on Canada Post web site.

@reallynicestamps wrote:

FWIW- Your cassette cleaning head shows $4.99 standard shipping to me here on Vancouver Island.

Thanks. That one was easy for me, as set a flat rate for all Canadian buyers, since the item is light enough and thin enough that I can mail it as lettermail.

@reallynicestamps wrote:

devon@ebay 

LOL. Nice use of two WWII acronyms in a single phrase. And both are appropriate! 🙂

Message 13 of 21
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

@toronto_tuttle 

At times posters will add information that the OP obviously knows for the less experienced members who are also reading the posts.

At the moment, no matter what is entered the calculator does not return a result.

Well that's not good.

devon@ebay 

Hi @reallynicestamps! Is this still appearing to not function?  

Message 14 of 21
latest reply

devon@ebay wrote:

Hi @reallynicestamps! Is this still appearing to not function?  

It appears to work now for Canada Post. But, sometimes FedEx doesn't work and shows no rates.

But, formatting has changed. On the results page, the names of the services and the prices are in a smaller font than the rest of the page. On my monitor, it makes it difficult to read. The results should have the same font size as the rest of the page.

Also, for International the drop-down list is difficult to use. United States is near the bottom. Web page drop-down lists can be designed to enable the user to type the first letter of the desired option, and the list would jump down to entries beginning with that letter. That would help here. And, since United States is likely the most common International destination, you could put that entry at the top.

Message 15 of 21
latest reply

devon@ebay 

@toronto_tuttle 

It appears to be working now.

Message 16 of 21
latest reply

It's working to show eBay discounted rates for Canada Post.

But, FedEx tab is still broken, shows no rates.

Message 17 of 21
latest reply

@toronto_tuttle wrote:

Also, for International the drop-down list is difficult to use. United States is near the bottom. Web page drop-down lists can be designed to enable the user to type the first letter of the desired option, and the list would jump down to entries beginning with that letter. That would help here. And, since United States is likely the most common International destination, you could put that entry at the top.

100% agree with you there! I've thought that each time I scroll waaaaay down to United States at bottom. Thanks for putting it out there, maybe someone who can make the changes takes notice!

Message 18 of 21
latest reply

Bumping this from a few months ago. The shipping calculator page is working for me for everything except USA over 2 KG. Under 2 KG is fine. Tried it on Chrome and Firefox.

Message 19 of 21
latest reply

"Bumping this from a few months ago. The shipping calculator page is working for me for everything except USA over 2 KG. Under 2 KG is fine."

This has always been the case for many years. I think it's because at 2 kilograms it can't go Tracked Packet and has to be Expedited Parcel USA, not sure why it doesn't recognize that.

For myself I set up a separate policy called "Larger packages" and chose Expedited Parcel there and although I can't see the amount when I use the calculator from Help page, it still somehow always showed the amount in my listings (counter rates of course). If someone asked me the shipping amount I had to go to Canada Post site to look it up. A pain but as far as I know was always this way.

Message 20 of 21
latest reply