eBay is not forwarding payments to me. No cogent reason given

I have sold items worth over $1000 but eBay refuses to send the money to me. Why? It could be that the longer our money stays in their bank, the more interest it earns - for them. It could be that they simply don't give a **bleep** that some of us actually rely on these payments. Or it could be that they're a dying, irrelevant

company that has forgotten why it existed and was so popular in the first place.

I cannot say for sure which, if not all, of these things is true but the fact remains that they have my money and there isn't much I can do about it even though I cannot see much, if any, difference between what they are doing and theft.

Is anyone "enjoying" a similar experience? I certainly do not think that I am the only one!

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Can you provide more information?

I assume you're properly set up with Managed Payments (you've attached and confirmed a Canadian chequing account) and there are no verification steps you still need to complete?

What is your payout schedule set to? (daily, weekly, etc.)?

Are there any sort of notices or flags on your eBay Seller Hub that might explain why the payments aren't being transferred?

Have you contacted eBay via chat/phone to inquire as to what's the issue?

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

I assume this was on a different account?

Sometimes it helps if you post a problem using the account where the problem arose.

The most likely reason is that you have not registered for Managed Payments. EBay no longer has that arrangement with Paypal. They've been moving away from PP since they were forced to spin it off in 2015.

If you are registered with MP, it is very likely that your funds are being Held (for up to 21 days) against customer satisfaction.

This is Standard Practice with eBay for new, returning and occasional sellers. Mostly because those are the sellers most likely to make errors (like not signing up for MP*)  or less often, to be setting up a scam.

The other reason is that - going by your FB on this ID- most of your sales are of low value items. Seeing a sudden high value sale after that trackrecord would set off alarm bells.

Given the value of the sale(s) I hope you used a tracked service.  Did you remember to put the tracking number into the transaction? If not you can do that by looking at My eBay-> Selling-> Orders-> All Orders and clicking on the dropdown menu next to the Sold items.

When the tracking shows delivery, the payment will be released from the Hold.

Or, when the 21 days is up, the payment will be released from the Hold.

BUT.

The default for Managed Payments is a weekly** transfer on Tuesdays.

So if your Hold is lifted on Wednesday morning, the payment will not be transferred to your bank until the next Tuesday.

And there may be a pause between the transfer and your bank recording it in your account.

All of which is a pain in the badonkadonk.

But once set up, it does go smoothly.

Online selling is not a fast cash operation.

*And eBay is very very very lax in not making it clear on the Sell Your Item form that the MP account needs to be set up first. tyler@ebay 

**There are other choices including daily.

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member

I agree with @dinomitesales, we need more information.

Right now, I'm inclined to think that if you've received payments from eBay via Managed Payments in the past, you're just being subject to payment holds because you're not a regular seller of high-value items.

Message 4 of 4
latest reply