eBay sellers treated like dirt

I have been dealing with eBay for approx 16 years, mainly as a seller. I'm just curious why sellers are not allowed to leave negative feedback for a buyer after the unpaid item strike has been approved and final value fees have been credited. I thought that eBay was a safe place to do business with within a community. Well isn't part of that community informing other sellers that a certain buyer did not pay for their item...as a reminder to the seller to be aware. Obviously not. Ebay is one sided with buyers. "The buyer never received their item!! There's no tracking number!! Here have your money back!! By the way, you can keep your item(s) as well!! The sellers are the one's that pay all the fees etc. I guess it's all about the mighty buck. That's why it takes 15 seconds to download my home page because I have to wait for some useless advertisement to load. Also, I recently received 5 negative feedbacks from a buyer. Every comment that he left was a lie. I tried to get them removed by contacting ebay but they never or wouldn't help(as always). So I guess it's OK in the "community" to leave false and lying feedback. When you are the only game in town, you can change/suit the rules not to hurt the mighty buck.Smiley MadMan Mad  

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Who is going to read the negative feedback you leave for a deadbeat buyer?

The deadbeat won't care. And he has  Strike on his buying account already that will make future purchases more difficult.

Other seller won't see it.

Most (over 85%) of listings are Fixed Price. We see our buyers when they purchase.

Many, if not most, Auction listings include a Buy It Now option. If that is used we see our buyers when they purchase.

Most Auctions end with last minute or even last second Snipe bidding. We see our buyers when they purchase.

So, outside of a small subset of the Auction category, plus the interested buyers who make Best Offers, sellers don't get to look at FB until the purchase is in place.

Even there, by opting to automatically Block bidders with UID Strikes, and using Immediate Payment Required, sellers are protected from unwanted bidding.

And of course, eBay doesn't use FB as a measure of member accounts.

So who reads FB?

The minority of your future buyers, who actually look at your FB Left for Others and, on seeing you lashing out at another buyer, hits the backbutton.

Set your Seller Protection/Buyer Requirements to Block bidders with UIDs.

And use AdBlock Plus to prevent ads from showing on your eBay pages.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

You seem to have discovered that you can leave negative Responses.

In ALL CAPS

With mu!t!p!e exc!amat!on marks!!!

Calling the customer a douchebag and a liar.

Really ?  This is what you want your future buyers to see?

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

So-- parsing this out.

The guy bought and paid for five $1.00 sportscards.

You shipped-- I'll assume without tracking since even losing the cards would cost less than tracked shipping.

The cards did not arrive for over a month.

The guy reacted, not with an enquiry, but with angry FB.

Did these all  arrive on the same day? Or as indicated, over a two week period.

• Did you respond with information about the shipping? FWIW, I put the date of shipment in my FB Left, since I rarely track. My customers seem to find this reassuring.

Did you refund him for his lost purchases?

No returns does not mean no refunds and this was a low value shipment-- until it escalated.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

I did some checking through my records and found out that I had to cancel the order because my variation listing was showing that I had the cards in stock when in fact I didn't. I cancelled the order BEFORE the buyer paid and sent him a message through ebay explaining this. I'm assuming he never read it. So all his comments were lies. Regarding your statement that no one checks feed backs of dead beat buyers, 99% of my sales are auction format. I always check to see who is bidding on my cards. If I notice that somebody is at 84% a red flag goes up. I check their feedback. If they have negatives for not paying, I immediately cancel their bid. So you saying that no one would read the negative feed back you are 100% WRONG. My reputation speaks for itself. I resolve EVERY ISSUE my buyers have. Contact me first before leaving cowardly feed back and the issue is resolved.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

When you are 100% and 5 stars in every category, I think I have the right to use any language, punctuation allowable by ebay. Especially when the buyer is a cowardly, gutless douchebag. Most of my buyers are repeat buyers. They know what they are getting and have put their trust in me to provide top notch service. I've been doing this for 16 years and my reputation speaks for itself. So when they see me leave replies to undeserved negatives, they contact me and assure me that the buyer is a douchebag. And we both have a laugh about it. 

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

You can cancel without defect for two reasons : Buyer Request and Problem with Address.

If you cannot fill an order because you did not notice you were Out Of Stock, you can cancel, but you will get a Defect.

In this case apparently five of them.

And buyers can always leave feedback for a cancelled transaction.

You are responsible for your own actions.

That your buyer is also an drooling anger monkey is not your responsibility.  Your future buyers may also form an opinion of him lashing out over a five buck order. Less than the price of a medium latte. But they won't be dealing with him.

Nor you.

If they have negatives for not paying,

They have been dealing with sellers who do not understand how to use the Resolution Centre.

If those sellers had opened and won an Unpaid Item Dispute, your automatic Block on deadbeats with Strikes would prevent them from bidding.

You do know that is a Seller Preference, right?

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

The damage to your reputation is equally your own due to your aggressive response in the FB you left.  I can't believe you'd do that to yourself over what appears to be a loss of about $10.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

As sellers on eBay we have to learn how

to adjust to each reality

and each new reality on eBay.

Success on eBay  is knowing what NOT to do.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply