eBay should update Buyer Requirements protect sellers

eBay keep change rules last 10 - 15 years.

Every rules they change are gives more protection on buyers side.

More and more scammer use that advantage, scam seller items.

eBay have done nothing to protect sellers.

It is time for eBay update the Buyer requirements at less do something that help seller avoid got scam.

Buyer with negative feedback?? !!

Buyers with a negative feedback score
Block buyers who have a feedback score of "- #" or lower.

Can we request change it to:

Buyer is blocked by "#" of seller?

Seller are welcome give more suggestion. fight against scammers.

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Or 'Buyer has requested # of Order Cancellations or Returns' maybe. 

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

I agree with eBay that giving buyers negative feedback would have little effect on the buyer, but has a strong effect on the seller's future customers.

Do you buy from stores with a reputation for hostile service and angry staff?

More effective are Unpaid Item Disputes and demanding Return before Refund. Both of which hurt the buyer and have not public effect on the seller.

I do think it would be helpful to sellers if :

•  Bid retractions were more visible on the FB page. While most useful to the few auctioneers still listing here, the pattern of conduct could be a signal to the  Fixed Price sellers. It would also make shill bidding more obvious.
  • EBay stopped masking bidder names. Again, shilled auctions are the problem, more so than the SCO scams that were the original reason for masking.
  • EBay and Paypal (or in future Ayden) make it impossible to change a shipping address after purchase. Or at least, if an address is changed from one country to another, the cost of shipping changes to the more accurate charge.
  • EBay clarifies what seller's rights and responsibilities are when an overseas buyer uses a freight forwarder. And also what elements of the MBG the buyer gives up when he uses a freight forwarder or the GSP.
Message 3 of 9
latest reply

"I agree with eBay that giving buyers negative feedback would have little effect on the buyer,"

If that were the case, there would be no reason to block sellers from leaving negs on the buyer's FB.  The threat of getting a neg would help keep buyers honest.

A couple of weeks ago, ftaelectronics posted the user ID of a thief who's stole from hundreds of sellers.  With all positive feedback.

On my expensive items, I check for phantom negative feedback on the buyer.  I will gladly take a defect for cancelling an order to prevent a theft.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

eBay abolished negative feedback for good reason. Chronically DISHONEST sellers with a feedback count in the hundreds of thousands would use it to leave retaliatory negative feedback against honest buyers who dared to open well-deserved cases. The negative left for the seller with 167895 feedback would change their percentage not at all while one retaliatory negative for the buyer with only 34 feedback would drop their percentage to an embarrassing level. The bad seller would win the Shame Game and the honest buyer would never return. Then honest sellers lose.

The problem with feedback is that a positive feedback left for a buyer is given the same weight and appearance for a buyer as it is a seller. Buyers don’t deserve a positive green dot for paying; they could have a blue dot for successfully completing a transaction. I’ve said this for five years. Green positives inflate a buyer’s sense of entitlement. Case in point: my example of Returns Fraud. After I replied to the Return with a list of the damages on the item sent back to me (supporting my belief this wasn’t my item being returned but another, different open and wrecked one in its place) the buyer sent me two angry messages one of which cited his stellar feedback record.

Buyers don’t deserve green dots and the word ‘positive’ simply for submitting payment. They can have a blue dot and a ‘successful’ for paying.

Opinions, like results, may vary.
Message 5 of 9
latest reply

My point is that buyers deserve acknowledgement for completing a transaction but that it takes no talent or skill to pay for something. It does take effort and skill to successfully deliver an order though. Green dots should not be granted to buyers. Give them another colour and word to make them feel valued and provide a sense of accomplishment.

This would prevent bad sellers from moving negative feedback lower by spending sprees.
Message 6 of 9
latest reply

I think that buyers should have a rating that shows a few key categories:

1.) Payment
2.) Communication
3.) Commitment
4.) Returns
5.) Suggest Something

We would then combine those scores and produce a final score of the credit worthiness of a customer. Then you could refuse sales to customers who have bad credit.

It's like DSR but for buyers!
Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Because eBay seller can not give buyers negative feedback any more. and I don't think eBay will change it back.

So there is no reason keeping the option - block " Buyers with a negative feedback score " in Buyer requirements.

Why not remove it and add something useful that could protect seller.

Like:

momcqueen suggest: Block 'Buyer has requested # of Order Cancellations or Returns'

or Block " Buyer has blocked by # of Sellers"

* Some scammer might not direct purchase items at eBay. They will message seller and offer send them bank check to ship the item. I will put them in eBay block list too.

Above suggestion is more like setup a scammer list by eBay seller.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Speaking of that, I'd like to see when seller-specific Blocked Buyers try to buy something of mine. They don't register on that list of Blocked Buyers Activity Log whatsoever but there's been two instances where someone I took the tome to block manually for unsavoury behaviour messaged me later to ask the reason they got an error message when they tried to buy something (or something else) from me.

I think a note from ebay indicating when a buyer that I blocked personally (for good reason) tries to make a purchase is far more valuable 'intelligence' than when someone with too many unpaid item strikes tries to buy something. That way if three minutes later the same item sells to someone through Guest Checkout, I can protect myself with actions like adding tracking to the order on my own dime if I choose. 

Still, knowing when a buyer with too many unpaid items or in countries to which I don't ship get blocked? That's good to know. Immediate Payment Required solves that problem. And if one were to suddenly discover that what they sell is big in Japan which is a place they've not sold to before, they can make the judgement call as to whether to start shipping there.

Those Buyer Requirements could absolutely be put to better use than they already are. But in true ebay fashion, we get more of what we don't want and didn't ask for than what we do want and ask for. Often, not always. We also do get what we ask for along with what we don't want. We just have to keep asking for it. In large numbers and often. 

So. Let's keep asking for changes and perhaps those changes will eventually be reflected.

Ebay has proven recently that those Buyer settings aren't written in stone because the one about requiring a paypal account (which I never used) quietly disappeared. 

Message 9 of 9
latest reply