ebay shipping coupon - delayed 1-2 weeks

The shipping coupon delayed. Any thoughts on how useful this coupon could be for you as a Canadian seller since the supplies ship from USA and importers will be asked to pay additional HST/GST and Provincial taxes and the Canada Post processing fee on imported goods. 

What is the current Canada Post processing fee on imported goods when duty is collected?

Is Canada's duty free exemption still C$20? 

Here is the month-end announcement http://announcements.ebay.ca/2016/05/31/7783/

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

At this point we do not know if the shipping supplies will be shipped by USPS - Canada Post or through eBay's Global Shipping Program (GSP) administered by Pitney Bowes where taxes are collected at time of purchase/payment.

The real question to ask is:  How useful are these shipping supplies advertising "eBay"? and why should sellers pay to advertise the name eBay?

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

@ight.coin wrote:

What is the current Canada Post processing fee on imported goods when duty is collected?

Is Canada's duty free exemption still C$20? 

When taxes (and occasionally duty) are collected, Canada Post's processing fee is $9.95

Exemption for goods by mail is still C$20

-..-

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

The Global Shipping Program would be welcome for shipping these supplies, especially if the coupon could be used to buy the item AND cover shipping to Canada AND also the import duty, then it would be usable from my viewpoint.

I notice ebay branded supplies seller ships from Kentucky. that has to be a part of or close to the GSP HQ.

Ironically, this would be the only instance where I would consider buying anything using the GSP program as the shipper.

My buying declined when ebay brought GSP in, wasn't long after that my ebay buying went to C$0.00. Smiley Tongue

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

The real question to ask is:  How useful are these shipping supplies advertising "eBay"? and why should sellers pay to advertise the name eBay?

Yes, to answer that ask this, what is the shipping supplies scheme supposed to accomplish FOR EBAY?

- another cash grab profit-maker for ebay?

- getting cost subsidized shipping supplies in the hands of sellers for advertising purposes?

It can't be both. And I don't think ebay has any idea which one they are trying to accomplish.

It is amazing the mistakes they make. What will they do next?  

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

- getting cost subsidized shipping supplies in the hands of sellers for advertising purposes?

The price might be subsidized for US sellers, but it is above market costs for Canadians.

I don't object to the advertising on the package, I even bought some of the branded envelopes from Canada Post although the size is way too big for anything I sell.

Look at it this way.

EBay is a mall.

We are the shops in that mall.

We could try to advertise our wares on radio, on TV, in the local Pennysaver, but our affordable little ads would be lost in the noise.

But the mall can afford full page ads in the daily paper, spots on daytime TV and the local news, and blanket coverage radio ads.

When the mall brings customers in, the shops make money.

Branded packaging is advertising that reminds potential customers that eBay exists and that shopping here is easy and fun.

As a side note, I believe branded packaging is more secure than unbranded, because being more memorable, when it is misplaced it is more easily found.

- another cash grab profit-maker for ebay?

Is every profit a cash grab? Is every fee a cash grab?

Phooey.

We're here to make money. So is eBay. Get over it. If you don't make money you'll leave. If eBay doesn't make money, it will close down.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply