force mp date approaching, never used ebay shipping directly before only via paypal. can't add insur

as most seller might already got the email telling the manage payment date is approaching, i wanted to see how the ebay shipping works as i had never used it in my 19years on ebay.

i have always used canada postal via paypal site directly attached through the payments.

let say item is listed on ebay.ca in cad, sold to usa. the ebay shipping page does not always load the page/tab to  let me add extra insurance on  changing it to expedited service because tracked packet won't reach 100% of the total transaction price. 

item is $250cad, shipping paid was $15cad tracket packet but i would need to upgrade it to expedit for me to actually purchase enough insurance to cover that. 

the box is limited me to purchase the insurance to cover$250only it's locked on the item's price without the tax, shipping and etc. but the transaction buyer paid tax, and if something goes wrong in the shipment (under the pandemic and isc chicago blackhole) that if i need to refund because of late/non received. 

the insurance won't cover 100% of the lost this way. it says it locks it on the amount of the item price only

as oppose on paypal shipping i could purchase the correct amount of the whole transaction.

another example is listing on ebay.com, in usd. sold to canada buyer.

i could select expedited, but i can't add insurance. only add signiture box is shown up

the page won't let me add extra insurance but item is well beyond $100 at $190usd

so that is very concerning.

how am i supose to add insurance to cover the whole amount if the option is not there.

do i have to start manually make shipping label via canada postal site logging in instead if i need to have that flexablitly of upgrading shippment to higher than paid service, add insurance and stuff because the one on ebay is very unflexible locked.

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

force mp date approaching, never used ebay shipping directly before only via paypal. can't add insur

Have not used ebay labels (yet).  I am waiting for the complaints to die down first.

Some alternatives:

paypal.com/shipnow allows you to buy labels for non-paypal sales (copy and paste required). Also allows you to use netParcel (which has a method to import the ebay sale address). Payment via paypal.

goshippo.com still as clunky as ever, but does work for importing MP sale info from ebay. Payment via paypal or credit card. Extra insurance above the Canada Post basic is via a 3rd party insurance company.

canadapost.ca SnapShip does require copy and paste plus a credit card to pay. Claims are all direct via Canada Post.

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

I'm not an eBay labels user either but it sounds as if eBay labels is completing the insurance info correctly.

Sales taxes (IST) collected by eBay don't need to be insured, in fact I don't believe those amounts are even insurable.  The reason for that is because the moment we (as sellers) refund a customer eBay refunds the IST out of their own pocket, eBay collected it, they refund it too. On sales made within Canada where a GST/HST registered seller collected the tax, the tax IS refunded by the seller but again there is no liability to insure because the refund reversed the sale, no sale, no tax liability.

It has been quite a long time since I last filed a CP insurance claim but I don't believe it is proper to include the cost of the CP label when entering the value of the contents.  As I recall, when CP approves a claim they pay the insured amount (value of contents) plus the cost of the CP label so there's no need to insure the cost of CP services.

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

I agree that if the insurance is from Canada Post they will add on the shipping...the insured amount is for the item itself.  I'm not sure though if the insurance on ebay labels is from Canada Post or a third party.  On ebay labels in the US I think that the insurer is a third party insurer so it might work differently.

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

I am sorry if my post failed to express what i my question/concern was. I am not looking to "purchase more insurance than listing value is supposed to be to cheat or something"

My main question was that the ebay shipping doesnt show the option for additional insurance box for listing on ebay.com, in usd, buyer Canadian.
It only has the add signature option .
No matter if its tracked packet, expedited or xprespost

As oppose to a listing on ebay.ca, in cad, buyer usa.
The additional option of insurance, signature are available/appear after i move the selected method from tracked packet to expedited.

The additional option isnt available for a usd listing. I suspect that is because of that max hard cap in the system program. It possible under a cad listing but doesn't recognize a usd one because it wasnt writen to do the conversion to put that "hard cap" because currency rate is variable.

And to use shippo it looks like even after linking cpc account with them somehow the additional insurance will have to purchase from another 3rd party in shipsurance. That just so much more 3rd party to be streamlined.
And their insurance time frame is so not suited for the current postal delay pandemic.
Like every single tracked packet have high chance of going dark checking into isc chicago.
And 40 60 days after est delivery date for start line for claim is not good. Buyer usually get upset by 20 25 days. And if item took more than 10days in isc its as good as lost. It tracking will never move again. So to wait another 40 days to start a claim to cover refunds that might need to happen weeks earlier is not desirable.
As bad as canada post is, that process is not 40 days deep.

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

I don't see anyone suggesting that you were trying to cheat, just that tax and label cost shouldn't be a factor if the item is insured by CP.

As far as tax, your insurance shouldn't need to cover that as if it is US tax collected by eBay that will also be refunded by eBay.  It doesn't look as if you are collecting tax from Canadians but if you were, you would be able to get a credit for the tax refund on your ITC.

So that leaves the cost of the label and assuming that the insurance is paid out by Canada Post, when they pay out a claim, they do add the cost of the label to  the payout above the cost of the insurance fo the item. So if the box states that you have $250 insurance for the item and CP approves your claim, you should receive $250 plus the cost of the label.  That's how I've always understood it to work.

You mention a couple of scenarios and mention which site each item was listed on which is confusing me as  I would think that regardless of where the item was listed, the ebay label would be based only on the destination of the package...it shouldn't matter where the item was listed.  It's possible that I'm wrong though.

You're saying that when you print a label for a package within Canada there is an option to add a signature but not an option to add insurance.....correct?  Is that the situation regardless of where the item was listed?

But when your buyer is in the US, expedited USA does allow you to add more than $100 insurance...correct?  Is that the situation regardless of where the item was listed?

I've never heard the term 'hard cap' so I'm not sure what you mean by that.

Sorry if I am misunderstanding something in your posts...I am just trying to figure things out so we can let the ebay labels people know what is missing.

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

Just a comment about length of time to collect insurance. I don't know offhand the difference between the time when CP pays out insuance vs the company that Shippo uses but I realize that could affect your decision on who to use.  However, it shouldn't affect your buyer as the insurance is ultimately for you to recover the refund already paid to the buyer.  If an item is obviously lost, buyers shouldn't be asked to wait for an insurance claim to settle.

If you buy insurance much more often than the amounts of times that you collect it, you might want to have a close look at the rates. I've found that Canada Post insurance can be quite a bit more than the third party insurance companies.

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

In regard of the length of time 3rd party like shipsurance need, i am refering to if item happen to get lost in thd isc Chicago blk hole, buyer needs a refund.
Of course by the policy timeframe i will refund the buyer. I am concern on how usually when a buyer had to ask for a refund, they were already out of patience of staying in a relationship with seller. By the time refund is sent to this startline of 30 40 days of after est delivery date is past, buyers are not likely to co operate with the claim process as they are most likely to be moved on. At least for cpc, the addressee had to respond to cpc when they reach out for a non delivered statement for a claim to be approved.
I dont asume 3rd party insurance would just approve claims out of sender just file it without reaching to recipient. So a est delivery time frame plus longest possible on hold to see if parcels moves request case time plus overlap 30 40 days claim filing. Its going to be more than a month or two of willingness of staying on positive terms and contacting.not sure how many of disappointed buyer is going to willingly drop their contact info of emai or phone number for the claim to reach them by then.
So theres that.

On the two scenarios
I meant
Listing A , i listed it on ebay.ca with a cad currency at $250, buyer is a usa address buyer.
The shipping page has no problem displaying all the option for additional options like purchase additional insurance, add signature.
When check box the additional insurance option the max insurance could be purchased based on how much the listing unit price is.

While on the other situation
Listing B, same Canadian account.
I listed it on the ebay.com side, in usd currency at $190usd. Buyer in bc.
I could reselect the various shipping service from tracked packet, expedited, xpresspost just like the other listing.
But under the additional option part, only signature shows up.
The purchase additional insurance check box is missing.
My theory is that because the listing was in usd, the system was never program to handle a usd listing for Canada post. So it doesnt have a way to generated that checkbox of how much additional insurance at $xxx amount of the listing. because it were written to be able to put a definitive amount of $190usd on that cad amount box. And basically just dont show that option on page.
Message 8 of 13
latest reply

eBay's Canada Post shipping is a level 1 Canada Post Solutions for Small Business account.  I was moved last year to managed payments and when that happened I was unable to use PayPal shipping and shippo would not sync with eBay for almosts 6 months. 

Solution: Open your own Canada Post Solutions for Small Business account, you will start at level 1 same as what eBay provides.  Open a shippo account and link your Canada Post account.  If you have items you want more protection on (signature, insurance, card for pick up, DNS, etc) use 'snap ship' through your Canada Post account.  For smaller sales, use shippo.  By doing it this way you will also potentially qualify for higher discounts based off how much you spend on shipping via Canada Post.

Off-topic but important: eBays new shipping service is the same as a level 1 Canada Post Solutions for Small Business account.  However it's not your account, at this time you cannot access it nor upgrade it to a level 2, 3, 4 based off $ spent.  I talked to Canada Post about this.  Lastly eBays shipping does not show you the pre-tax amount on the shipping, if you claim ITCs means more work for you.  Canada Post 'snap ship' and shippo show pre-tax amount and they charge the correct tax rate for online sales.

P.S. If you are concerned about insurance, don't sell the item.    

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

If a seller chooses to maintain a PayPal account funded with funds either from a bank account &/or another selling venue where PayPal is still a viable payment sytem option, Is the eBay seller still able to use PayPal shipping?

I ask because hubby & I always used PayPal for our eBay shipping and although I am not signing up for MP, hubby has decided after an 18 month absence, to sell again on eBay; and will start listing when all that verification process is completed and is given the go ahead for listing....and then I shall be getting first hand knowledge of the workings of the MP system, all the glitches, all the issues with payments, shipping,etc,etc.

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

You don't really need any "verification" for selling on eBay.

If you have an account you can use it to buy and to sell.

If you are selling you should add a means to be paid, which at the moment includes Paypal, but will not in the near future.

Or are you saying that returning and new sellers are being automatically enrolled in Managed Payments?

You will, as an occasional /returning seller, have your buyer's payment Held for up to 21 days. I understand that if you use tracking (I usually don't), entering the tracking number speeds this up considerably.

You are never restricted in what you use as a shipper, although eBay makes it easier to use some methods than others.

Personally mostly I use postage stamps.

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

Hubby is using the account that he has used for the past 18 or so years, but could not list any items=had to to sign up for MP to be able to list items, so a bank chequing account was set up solely for eBay,etc. & then a message from eBay indicated that there is a  verification process and currently cannot list anything until eBay gives the OK.

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

If you sign into PayPal.com/shipnow  PayPal shipping can still be used but the buyers info won't be there so it would have to be added in.   There was a post awhile ago about entering some sort of transaction number to bring up the buyers info on PP but I don't know anything about it or if is still available

Message 13 of 13
latest reply