how do I use UPS as a carrier options when listing an item?

I am selling items in Canada.  I want to show UPS as a shipping service so that the calculated shipping cost would show the UPS rates. 

When I try to update an item I am selling or selling a new item,  I choose to add other shipping options, and only check the UPS box and not the Canada Post.  However, I only have Canada Post services when I come back to choose the shipping services.

So, I want to show buyers UPS shipping cost when they calculate their shipping costs.  Thanks

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Courier rates like UPS and FedEx don't actually work with ebay Canada's Calculated Shipping tool. You'd have use Flat Rate and a generic term like Standard Shipping. Unfortunately.

I asked ebay Canada staff about this too a few months ago (during Canada Post's about unrest) and they said CPC was the only shipping partner willing to create an API that worked with ebay's Calculated Shipping, if I am utilizing the terms correctly. 

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Be careful.

There are old threads on the Buyer Board screaming and moaning about the high cost to buyers of sellers using UPS (and other couriers) for cross border delivery.

Now, some of the problem relates to Canada's very low ($20) cutoff for duty free importation, which may not be a problem for US buyers who can import $800 in goods before duty kicks in, but you do sell some higher priced items and if you sold that saw blade, for example, your buyer might be a tad upset.

Anything you can ship by Canada Post will move reliably through the system. Expedited Parcel  and Tracked Packet both include tracking and confirmation of delivery, ExpressPost gives you signature confirmation too.

BTW-- on those blades, you might want to add measurements (in metric and in imperial) to the title. You have 80 free keystrokes which are your best advertising, may as well work'em.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

You could use Canada Post Expedited or XpressPost for across Canada, cheaper than UPS.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

I see that you are using Canada Post Regular Parcel, why not use Expedited, Expedited is more cheaper than Regular Parcel for across Canada via PayPal Shipping.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Thanks for your answers.  Very much appreciated.  Learning on the fly here and lots of different things to know with Ebay.

Will continue to experiment and will look up the different postal rates for the different services offered.  One thing with UPS for us, is that they will come and pick the packages at our business.  CPC does not do this in our area.  And, also, we may get cheaper rates with UPS (not sure about that yet), because of discounted business rates. 

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Have you called UPS and spoken with a service rep about opening your new account? The courier companies, in my experience, will bend over backwards to gain new business and may offer you a steeply-discounted introductory rate to gain your favour. Call.
Message 7 of 9
latest reply

It helps to explain how you will ship in your eBay item description, and that shipping cost shown may just be a placeholder. I recently shipped and item from Canada to Georgia USA. CP would have been$50.69 CDN, UPS was $42 I went UPS. Go to their .ca website. Have your box dimensions and weight ready. You will also need a phone number for the recipient. I found the cost calculated on the website was within pennies of what I had to pay at the UPS store. Then make up your  eBay invoice. No problems so far... H

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

ZOMBIE thread from 2017

Message 9 of 9
latest reply