how do i deal with this buyer?

hello i so i sold a s5 cell phone to this person, it worked great they got it 2 days after i shipped out few days later they open a case saying item wasnt as listed and wanted a refund! , so having this happen for the first time didnt know anything and refunded buyer, and were supposed to send phone back, now 20 days later and ya i got a phone back but a old 1994 nokia phone!!! and buyer wont answer to my messages. called ebay and they said theres nothing they can do?? so what am i to do now? i dont have the s5 phone or the money and an old nokia??? and i would HIGHLY like to say do not deal with this person 

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Re: how do i deal with this buyer?

You will have to file a police report for theft or mail fraud. They bought one thing and returned another. Once you have your incident report, call ebay back. Or better yet, call paypal about it. 

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:

You will have to file a police report for theft or mail fraud. They bought one thing and returned another. Once you have your incident report, call ebay back. Or better yet, call paypal about it. 

Pretty much. You have to jump through hoops and no-one will want to help.

Photobucket
Message 3 of 6
latest reply

About ten years agao the same thing happened to me with an expensive radio tube I sold to a guy in Australia. He sent me back a burned out tube that did not work. I opened a dispute - no luck on the computer. When I phoned eBay they told me to file a police report. So I went to the local RCMP and did so and they gave me a copy of the report which I sent to eBay. After a lot of phone calls and haggling with eBay - at one point they even refunded his money back to him. They finally told me to send the burnt out tube to some place in the US - can't remember where. I did so and about two weeks later I got my $250.00 back and they closed the case and removed the negative that he had given me. They kept the tube. The whole process took over two months and I suppose it was worth it but it was a lot of hassle. Siince then, I mark my initials on the bottom of every tube I sell and include a photograph of it in the listing and have never had a problem since.

Old enough to know better. Young enough to do it again. Crazy enough to try
Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Did you take a photo of your phone's serial number before you sold it? Take that photo with you when you file the police report. 

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

j44b
Community Member

Hi,

The Canadian Wireless Telecommunications Association  has a so called blacklist for stolen phones. They store the IMEI number of the device which may/will prevent the phone from being connected to Canadian service provider. Obviously you would need to know this info from your phone, serial number would probably be important also. If perhaps you still have original receipt from phone purchase all that info may be on there.

Since the buyer of this item has said it has been returned, there would be no plausible reason for you to know the IMEI or serial number of their cell phone. You mentioned it was with Rogers Telecom they may still have a lot if info in their database also. Rogers used to have a find my stolen/lost phone program, don't know if it is still in existence. Looks like you'll never retrieve your item, and you may be out your money. It may be a little self rewarding to at least know nobody else will be using it. Good Luck

Message 6 of 6
latest reply