listings

listed several item today noticed half went to ebay.com in american dollars and says I don't ship to Canada and only ship to the US. It;s the other way around I ship to Canada not the US is there any way to change this

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

listings

You made a common error on the Sell Your Item form.

In order for a listing to show on a given site, you have to give a Shipping Price for that site.

At the very least you have to ship Internationally, or the listing will only show on the listing site.

So back to the listings.

Your Domestic Shipping is probably fine.

When you list on dotCA , domestic means Canada.

When you list on dotCOM, domestic means USA.

On your dot CA listings go to->Add shipping services and flip that switch to blue.

On Cost Type you have two choices Calculated or Flat Rate.

Choose either Flat Rate or Calculated.

Now.

Flat Rate includes Free Shipping,

DON'T PANIC!

Free Shipping means you have included your shipping and packaging costs in the price of the listing.

Which is cheaper a $20 card with $3 shipping or a $23 card with Free Shipping? (And consider whether a $24,99 card with Free Shipping might not be more attractive.)

You can make Flat Rate into Free Shipping by using $0.00 as the shipping cost.

BUT

If any of your items are bulky (over 500grams or 2cm thick) you will want to use a Parcel Rate and that's where listing on dotCA with Calculated Shipping comes in.

In passing, it is strictly forbidden to ship 'goods' by LetterPost outside Canada. Interesting that eBay gives that as a possiblity.

On dotCOM we must use Flat Rate, so bookmark this and look at it carefully.

https://www.canadapost-postescanada.ca/cpc/en/tools/find-a-rate.page

Again, the domestic rate will be Flat Rate, but based on Canada Post rates.  (We'll talk about Stallion and Chitchat another day) (Shipping is complicated)

Canada now becomes part of the International Shipping, but at a Flat Rate.

If you are using Free Shipping  (DON'T PANIC!) as part of your business plan, then you enter the Canadian rate as $0.00.

It's late and I'm tired.

But one last note, you will lose money on every one of your $1.00 cards, even with $3 shipping.

You should review fees.

To begin with there is a 30c non-refundable charge on every sale, plus an average 13.5% on your customer's entire payment including shipping, the sales tax he pays, and your  item itself.

On a $1.00 sale to Alberta that's 30c +81c  or $1.11 in fees, higher in provinces with provincial sales taxes.

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

listings

I make it short and simple......

If you list on .com you MUST offer shipping to the USA (plus wherever else you want).

If you only want to ship within Canada you MUST list on .ca

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 3 of 4
latest reply

listings

If you use 'sell one like this' or sell similar to start a listing, that listing will be on the site that the original listing was done on. If you want all of our listing on .ca then you would have to end the .com ones and redo them on .ca.   If you want US shipping you have to indicate that you want to ship internationally, pick a service and a price if you are using a flat rate.  If you don't see a space on your listing page to do that then click on the 3 dots to the right of the shipping section. That will give you the option to turn on the international shipping.

Message 4 of 4
latest reply