paypal shipping

jayzeeelectronics
Community Member

i use PayPal for both domestic and international shipping, Canada Post and UPS. Shipping with Canid Post is always kinda pricy but it is what it is. But lately, ive notice some odd charges from PayPal when using shipping. 

Sending a package to Toronto, just an example, shows as 11.09 on the Canada Post site, where i track from, and even bringing one in to ship is the same amount. Yet when i use PayPal, it costs 12.53. Trying to get answer from them is impossible, get responses about selling fees, to what the seller charge for shipping...which makes no sense becuz i am the seller.

they tell me Canada Post must have hidden charges, yet the amounts are what is listed on my CP seller dashboard, so thats not the issue.

any thoughts on what is happening here, or is PayPal just adding a fee without telling me?

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

paypal shipping

@jayzeeelectronics wrote:

i use PayPal for both domestic and international shipping, Canada Post and UPS. Shipping with Canid Post is always kinda pricy but it is what it is. But lately, ive notice some odd charges from PayPal when using shipping. 

Sending a package to Toronto, just an example, shows as 11.09 on the Canada Post site, where i track from, and even bringing one in to ship is the same amount. Yet when i use PayPal, it costs 12.53. Trying to get answer from them is impossible, get responses about selling fees, to what the seller charge for shipping...which makes no sense becuz i am the seller.

they tell me Canada Post must have hidden charges, yet the amounts are what is listed on my CP seller dashboard, so thats not the issue.

any thoughts on what is happening here, or is PayPal just adding a fee without telling me?

11.09 * 1.13 = 12.53. You are seeing the full amount with tax on PayPal. The CP website doesn't list the tax. I had this issue with Shippo and thought the same as you. But, the amounts equal - CP isn't showing you the tax.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

paypal shipping

When you'rd checking prices on the Canada Post site be sure to select an actual service so as to see the final cost including the fuel surcharge and taxes. The first CP pricing screen where they list the available services does not include those additional costs. 

Another possibility ... if you have a CP for small business card, is your number registered with Paypal? I remember when ebay changed shipping partners a few years back Paypal was asking ebay sellers to provide their CP small business account number ... maybe you're not getting the CP discount through Paypal?

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

paypal shipping

I've been all through the PayPal help and found no way to update my small business account. If anything changes with Shippo, at least for me it automatically updates. With Shippo I have a level 2 discount which was level 3(Canada shipments only) with that recent promo. With PayPal when I check only level 1. If someone knows where/if it can be updated in PayPal, please pass it on?Thanks.

-Lotz

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

paypal shipping

Found the info listed below in the Paypal Canada help pages. They mention that Canada Post accounts can be setup within the Paypal shipping platform but they provided no further guidance. All of my transactions are marked shipped so I don't have the "purchase shipping label" link available underneath a transaction. thus I cannot get into their shipping platform right now.

Hope someone figures this out, I never got my small business account registered with them either.

I have highlighted both relevant passages in red.

How can I purchase Canada Post or UPS Shipping Labels on the PayPal site?

For all eligible transactions, merchants are able to purchase and print a shipping label. Here’s how:

1. Log in to your PayPal account.
  2. From your “Summary” page, click the Print shipping label button under that specific transaction.
  3. If you’re using it for the first time, you will be asked to undergo a one-time registration on PayPal. Choose Canada Post or UPS as your default shipping carrier.
    1. If you already have a Canada Post or UPS account number, enter the account details.
    2. If you don’t have a Canada Post account number, click No and proceed. You can create your Canada Post account from the PayPal Shipping platform itself.
    3. If you don’t have a UPS account number, visit the UPS website and register for a new account.
  4. Once registration is complete, you can proceed with purchasing the label. Verify the address and choose the desired service type. Fill in the correct weights and dimensions, if applicable, for the chosen service type.
  5. Click Calculate shipping cost to get the cost of the label.
  6. Click the Confirm and Pay button to make the payment. You will get a pdf label in your browser. Print this label and use it for shipping.
  7. Tracking information is automatically updated in our PayPal system, and an email with the Tracking number, if applicable, is sent to the buyer.

Here are some benefits of printing your shipping labels on the PayPal site:

• The origin and destination addresses are fetched from the transaction and are prepopulated, so there is no need to re-enter the information. 
  • Merchants can purchase labels at a discounted price from Canada Post based on their shipping volumes. 
  • Tracking numbers for shipments get automatically updated on the PayPal system for seller protection eligibility.

PayPal also sends the buyer a confirmation of shipment email along with the tracking number.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

paypal shipping

Do you know which small business level you are at with Canada Post?  When I check from your location to Toronto, I see the $12.53 rate on the Canada Post site and I'm on level 1.  If you see less than that when signed into the CP site on the calculator, you must be a higher level.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

paypal shipping

@jayzeeelectronics wrote:

11.09 * 1.13 = 12.53. You are seeing the full amount with tax on PayPal. The CP website doesn't list the tax. I had this issue with Shippo and thought the same as you. But, the amounts equal - CP isn't showing you the tax.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

paypal shipping

thnx all, very helpful info. got the answer i believe i was looking for...

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

paypal shipping

yes i do have a CP small business card, number has been in for a while now.
Message 8 of 9
latest reply

paypal shipping

this is still kind of an issue...im not getting it any cheaper with PayPal, just easier to do it at home rather then bring 4 or 5 to the post office and wait there..thnx
Message 9 of 9
latest reply