"ITEM NOT RECEIVED" CLAIM FILED ON FIRST BUSINESS DAY

I sold on item on Saturday at 7:42:35.  A claim was filed for "Item Not Received" on Monday at 7:47:38 PST.  I  called eBay and they said it did not go through them, it was a  PayPal claim.  I called PayPal and they said there was nothing they could do, that the claim came through from her Credit Card provider.  I asked to speak to a supervisor, and he told me the same thing.  It was suggested that I refund or ship the item.  I chose to ship the item because I do not wish to receive a "defect" on my selling account.  

The  purchaser was livid!  She said she  will do everything she needs to do to make sure I don't get my money back and it will be held until she gets it.

She also told me that she paid with a PayPal Credit and NOT with a credit card.

Message 1 of 82
latest reply
81 REPLIES 81

Re: "ITEM NOT RECEIVED" CLAIM FILED ON FIRST BUSINESS DAY

True.  I haven't had a PayPal case in a long time so wasn't thinking but I guess eBay would know what the refund was for since a case had been opened.   That sounds like the easiest route.

Message 21 of 82
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

This was basically a buyer requested cancellation although the buyer should have done it differently.  I know that it's easy to say what I would have done after the fact but I probably would have contacted the buyer, asked if they wanted me to cancel the transaction.  Assuming they said yes, the cancel order request would not have resulted in a defect and fvf would have been refunded.  If by some chance it did give a defect, I don't think that it would have been that difficult to get removed since opening an inr before the item is shipped should equal a cancellation request in this situation. 

Can you do a buyer-requested cancellation AFTER the buyer has opened a Not Received case on PayPal? 

The seller has said several times here that the buyer at no time asked for a cancellation.  Asked about tracking and shipping time but that's it.  Then after 48 hours almost exactly (must be their time limit) the INR case was opened without word one to the seller. 

The seller obviously believed she'd get a defect if the sale was just refunded instead of shipped once the case was already open.  Could she do that then, cancel it as buyer-requested even after the PP INR case had been started? 

Does anybody know if after this the buyer can open a Not as Described now on eBay to get their rtn shipping paid and a full refund? 

Since the buyer asked about tracking and mail time maybe they'll just keep the item and be happy.  It might have been for a gift and they were afraid of delayed post.  That would be a good end for everyone. 

Message 22 of 82
latest reply

It's just bizarre. I can't make sense of it no matter how I turn it on its side. I don't think the buyer wanted to cancel the order, I actually believe that she was apprehensive it was already taking too long to get to her. But then the OP says the buyer was all upset after it shipped. Could the buyer have been so impatient she bought another in the meantime and then tried to cancel the wrong way? Maybe. 

I kind of doubt ebay would allow a seller to cancel an order that was already subject to a paypal INR but you never know. We'd have to hear from another seller to whom this has happened recently and I cannot imagine that would be anyone. 

Message 23 of 82
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:

I kind of doubt ebay would allow a seller to cancel an order that was already subject to a paypal INR but you never know. We'd have to hear from another seller to whom this has happened recently and I cannot imagine that would be anyone. 

That's just it and we don't dare try it out on our own listings with ourselves in case it actually does give us a defect. lol! 

The OP has said numerous times that the buyer just sprung the INR claim on her at hour 48, so unless it really IS possible to THEN go and do a buyer-requested cancellation after the fact, I don't see a lot of value in others here lining up to tell the seller this is something she should have done.  No one can do the impossible, at least I can't, but maybe some here can. 

If it is certain that a quick refund on a PP  INR case will absolutely NOT result in a defect, that is what everyone needs to know but unfortunately the OP didn't know and followed PP's crummy advice. 

The moral of the story:  When facing a bad situation, always ask on the boards for others' opinions and what they think before taking a final action.  🙂 

Message 24 of 82
latest reply

Or maybe the seller could cancel via eBay after the payment was refunded via PayPal. But then a defect? Yes or no? If yes, can you imagine the 28 hours of continuous telephone contact it would take to reach the right person at eBay Customer Service who'd agree the seller made the correct choice in refunding instead of shipping. I'd fully expect CSR to say the defect would and should stick because the seller had no actual proof that the buyer asked for a cancel order. I would have done exactly what the OP did: ship it with tracking toute de suite. 

Message 25 of 82
latest reply

I don't know how many sellers here have ever lobbied Customer Service to get a defect removed but those CSR guard defects like their lives depend on it. I'd never trust eBay to take the side of the seller in a case like this simply because logic does not apply in these situations. The CSRs don't give a hoot about extenuating circumstances, it's all about policy and procedure. I'm willing to bet they would simply look at the seller's eBay My Messages and say: "Your buyer did NOT ask for a Cancel Order so therefore you should have shipped it regardless." Period. The end. 

Message 26 of 82
latest reply

It's as if defects are viewed to be the foundation that supports the sanctity of eBay. None will be removed if they can help it. 

Yes, there are worse things than defects. Probably. Like what? Oh wait. There is nothing worse than defects now. 

Message 27 of 82
latest reply

You cant cancel once the buyer opens a case, you respond by picking refund and thats it.  There is no defect for resolving cases.

Message 28 of 82
latest reply

Okay. If the case is opened via eBay, that makes sense. But if the case is open on PayPal, what then? Does it prevent the seller from taking any action on it on eBay? While the case is open on PayPal or even when it's closed?

Message 29 of 82
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:

It's just bizarre. I can't make sense of it no matter how I turn it on its side. I don't think the buyer wanted to cancel the order, I actually believe that she was apprehensive it was already taking too long to get to her. But then the OP says the buyer was all upset after it shipped. Could the buyer have been so impatient she bought another in the meantime and then tried to cancel the wrong way? Maybe. 

According to gifts:  "We exchanged several emails on Saturday and Sunday and she never once said that she wanted to cancel."

and

" After buying it, she asked how much more it would cost to ship with tracking. I quoted her and she did not say anything, Then she wrote to ask when I would ship. I explained that since we don't have postal delivery on the week-end,I would ship on Monday.
Monday morning I woke up to the PayPal claim."

How often do you exchange emails with a buyer after a sale?  In my case it's not very often and when we do it's usually to resolve an issue.

Shipping before that issue had been resolved and while there was a pending PayPal case wasn't the best solution.

Message 30 of 82
latest reply

It's not uncommon for buyers to ask questions after a sale. The two most common being those above. Sometimes buyers need reassurance.

I reiterate that I would have done exactly what the OP did. And PayPal told her to do it. Due to having a pending case. 

Message 31 of 82
latest reply

@toby**bleep**zu wrote:

You cant cancel once the buyer opens a case, you respond by picking refund and thats it.  There is no defect for resolving cases.

Well that's sure good for everyone to know at least. 

Message 32 of 82
latest reply

But the question on my mind is as follows:

'Is an open case like INR on Paypal immediately transferred ebay to also be an open INR case on ebay? Or do the two Resolution Centres run independent of one another?' 

I honestly don't know how that works. I would like to follow logic but.....

Message 33 of 82
latest reply

You could always ask on Board Hour?    🙂 

Message 34 of 82
latest reply

I'm not sure exactly what you're asking, but if you have an open case on eBay you can't open one on paypal and I'm 99% sure it works the other way around too.

On the other hand, if you have a case for an item not received and that case closes you can still open an item not as described case.

Is that what you're wondering about?

Message 35 of 82
latest reply

Poor Raphael. Board Hour is still open and it's Friday now. 

Message 36 of 82
latest reply

What I am wondering about is if a Not Received case is opened on PayPal (and then closed in seller's favor) can the buyer then open a Not as Described on either eBay or PayPal? 

It sounds like you are saying "Yes" then ?

Message 37 of 82
latest reply

@i.am.vivian wrote:

What I am wondering about is if a Not Received case is opened on PayPal (and then closed in seller's favor) can the buyer then open a Not as Described on either eBay or PayPal? 

Yes, they can.  It's just not possible to have a case open on each site at the same time, but two different types of cases sequentially can be done no problem.

I've even heard on this board of buyers opening a SNAD case and when that didn't work they switched to an Item Not Received case.  

Message 38 of 82
latest reply

Just to put a qualifier on my statement above:  I know that a case for an item not received can be opened and then a case for an item not as described can opened at a later date on the same site.

I don't know for sure that a case can be opened on paypal or eBay and then a different case on the other site.  It's possible that the site one chooses to open a case on can't be changed at a whim  (don't know).

Message 39 of 82
latest reply

@i.am.vivian wrote:

yes, those are two different types of cases. If an inr is opened and then closed on either site a nad case can be opened on either site,

if an inr is opened and closed on eBay, PP will still allow an inr case to be opened after the eBay one is closed.  eBay does not allow the same type of case on their site to be opened if one was already opened/closed on PP.

Message 40 of 82
latest reply