"ITEM NOT RECEIVED" CLAIM FILED ON FIRST BUSINESS DAY

I sold on item on Saturday at 7:42:35.  A claim was filed for "Item Not Received" on Monday at 7:47:38 PST.  I  called eBay and they said it did not go through them, it was a  PayPal claim.  I called PayPal and they said there was nothing they could do, that the claim came through from her Credit Card provider.  I asked to speak to a supervisor, and he told me the same thing.  It was suggested that I refund or ship the item.  I chose to ship the item because I do not wish to receive a "defect" on my selling account.  

The  purchaser was livid!  She said she  will do everything she needs to do to make sure I don't get my money back and it will be held until she gets it.

She also told me that she paid with a PayPal Credit and NOT with a credit card.

Message 1 of 82
latest reply
81 REPLIES 81

I would have just refunded, they have obviously changed their mind on the item purchased. It's better to keep the item because some transactions are just not worth it.

I don't think you would have a problem having the INR defect removed by eBay Customer Service considering the time frame when she filed the claim through PayPal. 

I hope you sent the item with a Tracking Number and Signature Confirmation (if applicable ). This is one problematic buyer where you want to cover all your bases.....   

Message 2 of 82
latest reply

If the buyer filed a Dispute, she apparently did not want the item.

It's too late now, but I would think that the better course of action would have been to cancel the transaction as "Buyer Request"., and refund the payment.

Message 3 of 82
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

If the buyer filed a Dispute, she apparently did not want the item.

It's too late now, but I would think that the better course of action would have been to cancel the transaction as "Buyer Request"., and refund the payment. 

Yes, that's exactly what I was thinking.  I'm surprised at Paypal suggesting the item should be shipped when the INR claim had already been filed.  Actually it seems a bit weird. 

The OP has my sympathies, but obviously this will have to play out to the bitter end now. 

Message 4 of 82
latest reply

I think that like you I would have shipped it too, with my fear of defects for 'cancelling' the transaction with a refund being as strong a motivator as my lack of faith that ebay Customer Service could be made to understand the delicacies of this case. 

Also, I would make certain it was shipped with tracking.

Expect a Return to be filed as soon as it is received, without Remorse being honestly given as the reason. 

Was there any communication in the interim about that buyer wanting to cancel or something? Sometimes buyers will 'reply' to the emails from ebay that are auto-generated and cannot be replied to and then those buyers think the seller is just ignoring them. Is the buyer in question very new? Or have they been around the block already? 

Message 5 of 82
latest reply

Good point about the auto-generated eBay emails and lost responses.

Message 6 of 82
latest reply

I had buyers tell me a few times now that they had tried to contact eBay about their order by reply to those emails. The auto-generated emails from eBay do indicate they're coming from a mailbox that cannot accept incoming messages but that's often somehow lost on people. I'm not sure if that incoming message is rejected with notice to the sender (buyer) but I don't think it is. I'll have to test this myself with my next purchase.
Message 7 of 82
latest reply

I also think it's possible that the buyer hadn't actually changed her mind but was instead incensed the item was not IMMEDIATELY shipped, business days be darned. Some online shoppers are like that; paid Saturday night to them means it should ship Saturday night. Whereas we as sellers know it's not required, the buyer might think that because they can place an order at any time of the day or night, that order should dispatch any time of the day or night. For that reason, I can understand that PayPal suggested shipping it as a solution.

It's nonetheless a puzzling situation. Please let us know how it plays out for you.
Message 8 of 82
latest reply

I would have let her cancel the transaction and would have given the money back had she asked.  We exchanged several emails on Saturday and Sunday and she never once said she wanted to cancel.

What shocks me is that PayPal took her claim within 48 hours and without any consideration that it was the beginning of the first business day.  Also that they claimed it was a credit card reversal.  If you have ever filed a reversal with a credit card, you know they don't do it that fast.  Purchaser also claims she paid with a PayPal credit.

If I refunded, I would have lost the commission paid to eBay plus would have received a defect.  Sales are bad enough without it.

Its you're damned if you do and damned if you don't.  

I shipped it with tracking and insurance with USPS.  It has been delivered today but no change yet. 

Message 9 of 82
latest reply

Those considerations make it all the more perplexing. Is it possible a case was accidentally opened on the wrong seller? And if the buyer was in contact with you over the weekend, why would she be suddenly enraged come Monday morning? Was it unauthorized account usage?

Message 10 of 82
latest reply

No, it wasn't.  After buying it, she asked how much more it would cost to ship with tracking.  I quoted her and she did not say anything,  Then she wrote to ask when I would ship.  I explained that since we don't have postal delivery on the week-end,I would ship on Monday.

Monday morning I woke up to the PayPal claim.

Message 11 of 82
latest reply

If the buyer asked to cance yiu could have refunded and used the "buyer requested" option, had the fees back instantly, no deffect and been done with it

Message 12 of 82
latest reply

@toby**bleep**zu wrote:

If the buyer asked to cance yiu could have refunded and used the "buyer requested" option, had the fees back instantly, no deffect and been done with it

Yes, and that's why this scenario is confusing.

1) Buyer purchases and pays for item on Saturday

2) First thing Monday you see that there's a case opened for the item which you haven't even shipped yet.

3) You shipped it anyway???????????

4) Buyer is livid.  No offence, but I would be too.  Now you have a very real problem on your hands instead of just one you imagined might occur.

Completely confused why you'd ship this item before you were absolutely positive that the buyer still wanted the item.

Am I missing something?

Message 13 of 82
latest reply

If the buyer changed her mind, the logical course of action is to open a Cancel Order request, not an INR.
Message 14 of 82
latest reply

To me, if I were a deranged buyer, the INR would be as a result of waiting longer than I liked for shipment to occur.
Message 15 of 82
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:
I had buyers tell me a few times now that they had tried to contact eBay about their order by reply to those emails. The auto-generated emails from eBay do indicate they're coming from a mailbox that cannot accept incoming messages but that's often somehow lost on people. I'm not sure if that incoming message is rejected with notice to the sender (buyer) but I don't think it is. I'll have to test this myself with my next purchase.

I may be wrong. I replied via email to an invoice that I just sent a buyer (via email) and received it back in my email inbox. But not My Messages. So that's a bit confusing. 

Message 16 of 82
latest reply

She didn't ask for a cancellation.

Message 17 of 82
latest reply

@gifts_of_elegance wrote:

She didn't ask for a cancellation.

She maybe didn't know how to cancel or was afraid to ask you to do it in case you refused.  It sounds like the buyer just wanted to halt the transaction.  If you have to have any more emails with this person be REALLY nice and polite and remind her she didn't contact you at all just filed a claim so you called PP who said to mail the item for a INR.  Tell her had she chosen Changed My Mind as an option you would have known what she meant.  

Do what you can to avoid neg FB but you will probably get one anyway considering how unhappy your buyer is right now.  What does the rest of her FB Left  look like?  

What happens now?  Shouldn't the tracking # that you entered in the claim close it in your favor?  

Also, if this INR case on PP is closed, can the buyer open something else on eBay, like SNAD?  Does anybody know?  I've never encountered anything quite like this myself.  If it really was PP Credit and not a credit card, at least that eliminates the chargeback possibility.  

Message 18 of 82
latest reply

This was basically a buyer requested cancellation although the buyer should have done it differently.  I know that it's easy to say what I would have done after the fact but I probably would have contacted the buyer, asked if they wanted me to cancel the transaction.  Assuming they said yes, the cancel order request would not have resulted in a defect and fvf would have been refunded.  If by some chance it did give a defect, I don't think that it would have been that difficult to get removed since opening an inr before the item is shipped should equal a cancellation request in this situation. 

Message 19 of 82
latest reply

Could have refunded through the INR and it would have been done.  No defect for resolved INR

Message 20 of 82
latest reply