"We've removed some results...."

I've just listed a vintage PDA complete with accessories. When I searched for it on eBay.com (a common enough item, with 547 results) I was surprised not to see it, but lo and behold, if I click "We've removed some results to show you the most relevant listings" there it is. How is relevance decided, and relevant to whom? Not to the buyer, since my item is complete and working and is offered at the lowest starting price. How many potential buyers will assume that the results removed are for little bits and pieces not worth bothering about? eBay needs to remove this "feature" and let buyers see everything without screening. It's in neither the buyer's nor the seller's best interests.

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

the HP12C is one of only 2 authorized calculator model for the CFA exam (Chartered Financial Analyst), along with the TI BA II Plus

you should put CFA in your title

I'm no calculator nerd like you are but I wrote the CFA exams, first thing that came to my mind when I saw HP12C

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

??? I haven't listed an HP-12C. My comment regards a PDA.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

my bad, HP12C goes for $50 new sealed in package (my memory is faulty, no calculator pun intended)

back to your problematic listing, I see it ranked first in Best Match, Newly Listed, Lowest Price + Shipping

maybe bias due to my postal code or that I checked your listing first. 

I'm sure other more seasoned folks will chime in

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Sorry, but this is irrelevant. The point at issue is removing results for items based on how many similar ones are offered and for what price. An item with a low number of companion listings isn't screened even if the starting price is $0.01. As for the HP-12C, there are currently 857 listings and you can buy one for considerably less than $50, more like $10, CFA or not.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

yes, you are correct about the HP12C, I've admitted my fault above ($10 used all day, $50 tops if new sealed in package), we are both experts now.

as I said, other more seasoned folks will chime in due time. never encountered that search ranking issue myself (other than one time when I made the mistake of substituting a 0 for a O in the item specifics, I'm not saying it's the case in your listing).

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Have 24 hours passed since you listed?

Usually when you are an experienced seller that time is shortened but some categories will take longer-- or if you are listing something much more expensive than usual or way out of your usual categories.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply