restocking fees

Hi there what you think for restocking fees and how customers react to them? I will really appreciate any information.Thank you and have an wonderful  week

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

restocking fees

I charge 10%.  I have only had one buyer return an item because he didn't need it anymore, and he was fine with paying it.

I think it probably discourages buyers from returning items they have "borrowed", although some would argue that it would cause more buyers to file SNAD in order to avoid paying the 10% and return shipping, but I have not found this.

I feel that most people are honest, just a few bad apples.

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

restocking fees

@fashionoutletdeal wrote:

Hi there what you think for restocking fees and how customers react to them? I will really appreciate any information.Thank you and have an wonderful  week

Why is this even a concern? I get, maybe, one physical return per 1,000 sales.

Excessive rules, regulations, proceed, "please read the following", is a turn-off for potential customers.

Photobucket
Message 3 of 13
latest reply

restocking fees

I think it is generally a bad idea.

I think a lot also depends on the problem you are trying to solve.

Presumably the issue is that too many people are returning items.

How many is too many? Often I see people creating "rules" because of one or two bad situations, that is normally not enough to create a special rule.

If there are truly too many returns, why is that happening?

Is it because the items (purses, luggage and bags in your case?) are prone to "borrowers", or is it because people are not understanding what they've got until it reaches them (aka are the pictures and descriptions accurate and the people get the exact thing they expected - I took a quick look at your descriptions and they look ok to me).

My beliefs are:

-negative things in listings promote negative feelings in my mind regarding my buying. If I see "restocking fees" that tells me there may be an inordinate number of items being returned to this seller which means there's a higher risk of problems (note too that this is on the assumption anyone reads the description, a large portion don't, which is a good seguay to the next point)

-a restocking fee is most likely going to make an already unhappy buyer more unhappy, causing more neutrals/negs, communication and difficult communication (assume a good number of buyers won't even have read or noticed there is a restocking fee until the time comes that they are returning the item).

Those are my thoughts, I don't know for sure what problem you are trying to solve so I've put forward the things that come to mind...

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

restocking fees

@ricarmic wrote:

I think it is generally a bad idea.

I think a lot also depends on the problem you are trying to solve.

Presumably the issue is that too many people are returning items.

How many is too many? Often I see people creating "rules" because of one or two bad situations, that is normally not enough to create a special rule.

If there are truly too many returns, why is that happening?

Is it because the items (purses, luggage and bags in your case?) are prone to "borrowers", or is it because people are not understanding what they've got until it reaches them (aka are the pictures and descriptions accurate and the people get the exact thing they expected - I took a quick look at your descriptions and they look ok to me).

My beliefs are:

-negative things in listings promote negative feelings in my mind regarding my buying. If I see "restocking fees" that tells me there may be an inordinate number of items being returned to this seller which means there's a higher risk of problems (note too that this is on the assumption anyone reads the description, a large portion don't, which is a good seguay to the next point)

-a restocking fee is most likely going to make an already unhappy buyer more unhappy, causing more neutrals/negs, communication and difficult communication (assume a good number of buyers won't even have read or noticed there is a restocking fee until the time comes that they are returning the item).

Those are my thoughts, I don't know for sure what problem you are trying to solve so I've put forward the things that come to mind...

Imaginary "what if" problems.

Rather than creating "rules", create an amazing buyer experience that boost your sales?

Put your effort in excellence in customer service.

Photobucket
Message 5 of 13
latest reply

restocking fees

As a buyer I react to sellers with restocking charges in one very simple way.....I buy elsewhere!

I'm sure I'm not alone in this.

Just as some buyers will claim a SNAD instead of buyer remorse to avoid paying return shipping the same will happen even more frequently if you have a restocking charge.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 6 of 13
latest reply

restocking fees

Actually i have a low % return because most of my customers know the products that i sell.Most of my pictures comes from the dealer.Most of my products are with free shipping.I dont like the idea of overcharging a customers and restocking fees didnt sound good for me neither.Just wanted to know what other sellers think about.I like to learn stuff to improve my business.

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

restocking fees

Most of my pictures comes from the dealer.

That could be your problem.

Perhaps you should be taking your own photos so the customer sees what she is actually going to get, rather than an ideal?

There is a happy mean between over describing and underdescribing which encourages the customer to buy and gives her a product that is better than she expected.

Nothing wrong with using stock pictures-- but as part of the mix of photos you show.

(The exception would be factory sealed items, obviously.)

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

restocking fees

Depends in which field you are.But better pictures help me more .In my case there is times that doesnt matter what i do i cant get the real colour out.The dealer do.
Message 9 of 13
latest reply

restocking fees

Actually i have a low % return because most of my customers know the products that i sell.Most of my pictures comes from the dealer.Most of my products are with free shipping.I dont like the idea of overcharging a customers and restocking fees didnt sound good for me neither.Just wanted to know what other sellers think about.I like to learn stuff to improve my business.

Drop shipping?

Photobucket
Message 10 of 13
latest reply

restocking fees

@mr.elmwood wrote:

Excessive rules, regulations, proceed, "please read the following", is a turn-off for potential customers.

Is your low rate of return because you only get 1 request out of 1000 sales or because you usually just refund without requiring a return?  I know that if my cos was as low as you've said yours is, I doubt that I would require an item be returned.

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

restocking fees

I'm not a fan of restocking fees either.  If you have free shipping it does hurt when you have to return thst amount for a buyers remorse return but if returns were a problem I would be more likely to change from free to charged shipping rather than using a restocking fee.

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

restocking fees

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

@mr.elmwood wrote:

Is your low rate of return because you only get 1 request out of 1000 sales or because you usually just refund without requiring a return?  I know that if my cos was as low as you've said yours is, I doubt that I would require an item be returned.

If you deliberately buy the wrong thing, and people do, you can pay to return it. DOA (dead on arrival) parts I do not want back. A few of those a year, it varies. I get almost as many "I just bought this and need to cancel" before I even mail it.

All told, wrong item, INAD, INR, DOA, add every reason together, still not enough to justify going after the customer and creating a negative experience for them.

Photobucket
Message 13 of 13
latest reply