return policy is out dated and seller are getting denied by e bay all the time

so I had a zero rated buyer purchase 2 of the same items from me. he filed a return request becase we had 5 of these same items we took a picture of only one and the OEM box it came in. his reason for the return request the package date stamp was not the same as the picture. Ebay allowed him to say the product was defective and forced me to either fully refund or have the product picked up. this is a farce I can not belive e-bay would allow such a silly issue the product was new in box. and the funny thing is this product is discontinued by Harley. this buyer found a loop hole and of course E Bay really dose not care about the sellers. the best thing was yesterday i was told and have a email stating E bay was going to pick up the product and I had a chance to inspect the items. then today they sent me a new e mail stating i was responable for the picking up the item and give the buyer a full credit. so becarfull E Bay words me nothing for the sellers. sellers beware of any product with a date stamp I suggest you cover that up. looking for your thoughts i al so have the emails from E Bay. I suggest if you have a zeros trying to purchase from you cancel the order ASAP

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

When a buyer opens a not as described case you are best to tell the buyer to return for refund and send them a return label.  That's how the money back guarantee has worked for a long time. eBay doesn't know what you have sent a buyer or what they have received and rather than make a judgement call, they assume the buyer is correct.   It may not be fair but with a site this size they are not going to investigate each claim.

I don't understand your comments about eBay picking up the product.  Why would eBay do that as they didn't send it?    Was the item picked up by the buyer or did you mail it? 

Imo you are just as likely to have a problem with a buyer who has hundreds of  feedback as you are with a 0 feedback buyer.  I've had lots of buyers with O feedback who have not given me a problem.  In order to survive we need new buyers on this site so cancelling a order just because they have no feedback isn't an option.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

thank you for your input.

The issue is that when we ship from Canada we can not produce a return label with Canada post to pick up a item from the USA. Even E Bay tells us they can not even do one for Me. E Bay does not offer the global shippin system in Canada. as of a matter of fact in my opinion E Bay discriminates Canadain sellers to a point that they might as well say we do not matter if you sell or not on the site. The customers service staff and even the supervisior are the most rudest people I ever have to deal with. It like they are the customer and we take the Blame. Always one Sided. 

thank you

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

@vtwinparts2015 his reason for the return request the package date stamp was not the same as the picture.

And that is your mistake, you must show pictures of the exact item you are selling, eBay policy.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

so if i have 5 units to sell i must put the item on 5 seperate times is that wht you are telling Me. the product was obsolete. so a date stamp means nothing. The date stamp had nothing to do with the product the item was new in a box. so he scammed me. thank you 

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

The issue is that when we ship from Canada we can not produce a return label with Canada post to pick up a item from the USA.

Yes you can.

You can use Shippo to print a USPS label.

I've done it and not only am I a technodolt, but the item was not originally sent by Shippo but by Canada Post.

In that instance, the scammer buyer did not use the PDF label I sent him, and lost the Dispute. Eventually, the unused label was refunded.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

@vtwinparts2015 wrote:

The issue is that when we ship from Canada we can not produce a return label with Canada post to pick up a item from the USA.

Your comments about discrimination toward Canadians make it seem like this is an issue specific to Canadians. It is not. This is something that afflicts all sellers that ship internationally (yes, the Global Shipping Program exists, but is only available in two countries and there are still many complaints and problems reported from users regarding returns).

eBay can't provide an international shipping label for another country's postal service, so you need to work with the buyer in order to get your item back. In the case of getting returns back from the US there are several options - as others have mentioned you can use Shippo to generate a USPS label; I myself have used PirateShip to do the same thing. Just purchase the label and send it to your buyer so they can print it out and put it on the package. If your buyer is in another country it might get a little more complicated but generally you would have the buyer purchase a shipping label on their own dime and then reimburse them via PayPal.

As for your specific example with the seller wanting to return the item because of the incorrect date stamp, I agree that that is a strange reason to request a return. However, I clicked on a handful of your listings and it doesn't look like you even offer returns? I suspect your buyer may have simply changed their mind about the purchase (or maybe accidentally purchased the wrong item), but reached an impass when looking into the return process after seeing your "No Returns Accepted" on the listing. eBay will of course allow a return for an "Item Not as Described" reason , so your buyer may have just nitpicked the listing vs. what he received in order to justify the INAD return.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

@vtwinparts2015 wrote:

so if i have 5 units to sell i must put the item on 5 seperate times is that wht you are telling Me. the product was obsolete. so a date stamp means nothing. The date stamp had nothing to do with the product the item was new in a box. so he scammed me. thank you 

If the listing was for a lot of 5 units (as an example) you could include photos of each lot number and then itemize lot details in the listing. Maybe even a note in the title declaring different lots are included. Are they lot mfg dates vs best before? As for some customers they like to split hairs when it comes to the listing details vs a consideration of reading the whole listing in its entirety. It's like photos. On 1 monitor they appear 1 way...on another a different way. 

-Lotz

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

When you make a listing, you can edit the quantity. Your picture does not need to show all 5. You can photograph one. You are correct that people should read listings. The reality is that not everybody does read listings. You aren't going to change that. This is why you're better off only showing 1 item in photographs for multiple quantity listings. 

You can print a return shipping label using goshippo.com. Save it, and attach it to the case. If it is cheaper, you can offer a partial refund. You have to either refund the buyer or provide a label, or else eBay will refund the buyer and allow them to ALSO keep the item. It is important that you resolve the case. 

eBay does not arbitrate individual cases. Buyers are protected if an item is not as described, or arrives damaged. eBay gives buyers the benefit of the doubt. eBay only takes action against a buyer if multiple individual sellers report them to eBay. 

The idea behind eBay's buyer protection is that it gives buyers a level of standardization that makes them feel comfortable with buying an item from a random person or business that they have never heard of before. If you are a high volume seller, it is great because it gets you more customers. Those customers easily offset the costs associated with returns. 

eBay is not the best marketplace for part time or casual sellers because they don't benefit as much from the added traffic. Someone who sells a handful of items a month might find one bad experience with a buyer return to be very costly. For someone who sells hundreds of items a month won't.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply