shipping charges - the precise CP cost or can you add for other costs re shipping?

I'm thinking of selling a few things on ebay.

As a rule...

do sellers charge ONLY what the PO charges them as the 'shipping charge',

or is it ok to add a small amount ($1 or $1.50) per item, for things like 

the cost of packing, tape, labels, printer toner, ... all of which are part of shipping costs... heard this discussion at an outlet the other day, someone was making the case for even the cost of getting it to the PO...

and have you paid for new printer toner or labels lately?

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

shipping charges - the precise CP cost or can you add for other costs re shipping?

There is no "rule"!

eBay at one time had a wishy-washy policy statement about "reasonable" handling charges but that was back in the day when there were no fees on shipping and while they intimated the reason for the policy was fair treatment of buyers the truth is that it was all about fee avoidance which at the time was quite rampant.

Handling charges have been a part of mail order since forever and throughout eBay's history there has been a place in Calculated Shipping to add a handling charge (never specified other than "reasonable").

Seems to me that if you have a policy against charging more than "cost" you should have a policy against charging less than cost (ie:"free" shipping) but that has been encouraged by eBay for years and was the main true reason for fees on shipping as it allowed sellers to charge whatever they like without penalty for subsidizing and no benefit for profiting.

The other obvious thing is that not all sellers pay the same amount for shipping, if you have the volume or the skills to negotiate lower shipping costs why should you be obligated to pass on those saving to buyers? If you obtain your goods for less than the next seller should you also be obligated to pass along those savings?

Personally I am someone who sells goods AND services, I'm here for profits not kicks or a warm fuzzy feeling, I try to make money on the items I sell and the services I provide, in some case I may profit on the goods, sometimes on the shipping and more often than not on both. I also try to be competitive so in a free market there is a balance between how much profit I can make and providing perceived value to my buyers so that they will continue to buy. The amount of profit and where it comes from (the goods or the service) is irrelevant, for both I attempt to lower my costs and increase my profits as any self-respecting capitalist scum would do. I also beat up on my suppliers (again both goods and services) to reduce my costs to the lowest in order to offer the best value to buyers and put the most in my pocket.

In practice I tend to charge at the bottom end of the range of my competitors while making higher profits than they do, this generally allows me to have a decent profit on both and because I have had many years to hone my skills I am probably making a much higher profit than others while continuing to provide "value" to buyers.

Note that shipping costs are much higher than just the raw cost of postage, there are the fees imposed by eBay, there are the payment processing fees, there are the packing materials, there are the labour costs, there are the costs associated with operating a space to conduct the packing, there are the cost of transporting packages to the carrier. In a free market you don't restrict levels of profit on goods, services are no different and this is especially true on eBay where little if anything sold could be considered a "necessity" where pricing should possibly be controlled to some extent. eBay sellers don't deal in goods or services that are vital to life, selling trinkets on eBay is not the same as life saving medical treatment or basic food & water during a natural or man-made disaster.

eBay still does have guidelines but they are vague and unenforceable they are mostly there to state their position on misleading sales tactics which have the potential to alienate buyer which in the end would harm the marketplace. eBay just recently announced a large number of layoffs in order to reduce their expenses, is there any chance that eBay will pass those savings on to sellers by way of reduced fees? I say not a chance, they do it to increase their bottom line, the same reason I usually charge over and my "actual cost".

Here is eBay's current stance on shipping charges (even more watered down than the previous):

If an item's cost seems excessive, try to find a better deal. You can also use our Shipping Calculator to research shipping rates. It's against our policy to have unreasonable shipping charges in a listing, or to provide unclear or misleading shipping information.

Sellers are allowed to:

Charge actual shipping costs
    Include the cost of packaging materials, insurance, and delivery
    Include delivery confirmation or extra services in the handling cost

Sellers aren't allowed to:

Charge more than the maximum shipping costs in categories with shipping caps
    Charge a separate fee for insurance
    Charge for business-related fees such as employee wages or gas mileage
    Include contradictory or confusing shipping terms in the listing

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 2 of 10
latest reply

It's called a 'handling charge' and you are allowed to add it when you make up the Sell Your Item form.

The customer only sees the total of the postage plus the charge, it is not broken down.

Note however, that most sellers also hold Small Business Solutions cards from Canada Post which gives us a discount on many services.

Our customers don't see that either.

So -- you may be charging your customer $10 for shipping made up of $1.50 for handling and $8.50 for postage.

But you may actually be paying $8.07 for postage.

Others will include handling costs in the asking price for the product.

And some (not all) shipping labels will have the postage printed on them.  But you actually pay a fuel surcharge and taxes on that amount.

Don't forget Cookie Jar Insurance.

This is a small amount (a few pennies, maybe a dime) added to the asking price of every item to cover the (very) occasional cost of settling Disputes.

Maybe the buyer doesn't like the colour, maybe you sent the wrong colour, maybe the buyer ordered a size Small instead of XXL. Doesn't matter, you use the Cookie Jar to cover any costs and settle the problem before it becomes a Dispute or worse a Claim.

Shipping is hard.

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

@recped

you should have a policy against charging less than cost (ie:"free" shipping)

I agree-- but would like to remind readers that "free" shipping is not free.

It's marketing talk- it really means the cost of shipping is included in the price of the product.

Which is cheapest?

A $10 item with $5 shipping?

A $5 item with $10 shipping?

A $15 item with "Free Shipping"?

And under which circumstances is the last actually the cheapest?

It's important for a seller to have a firm grasp on how much her costs really are.

recped has done a good job of outlining some that are often overlooked by newbies to retailing.

My own bugaboo is sellers who forget to pay themselves.  A 100% markup can still make a loss. (As can a 1000% markup.)

Here in BC the minimum wage is 18cents a minute. How much are you charging for the time you spend describing, photographing, listing, uploading, and packaging.?

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

As a buyer cost of shipping is a deal breaker or maker. How bad do you want to sell it?
Message 5 of 10
latest reply

@nebulaastronomy wrote:
As a buyer cost of shipping is a deal breaker or maker. How bad do you want to sell it?

This should be the default text that accompanies every ebay best offer.

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

And they wonder why I don't buy from sellers like this, nickel and diming buyers for extra money without them knowing. Shipping costs are at an all time high. A buyer pays a crazy amount for shipping now, Global Shipping Program or not. USPS is crazy expensive too. Everyone is. And you add more cost. Makes me not trust sellers. Do you wanna sell or not. I get sellers need to make money and save money, but buyers need to save it too. Goes both ways. Reading what you wrote makes us buyers skeptical.
Message 7 of 10
latest reply

When we use Calculated Shipping the buyer sees the exact price that Canada Post would charge for postage stamps or labels, but not tax or fuel fees.

OTOH, buying labels often gives us a small discount (less than tax or fuel fees unfortunately)  which slightly offsets the price printed on the label.

But then there is packaging. Bubblewrap is not free, nor is printer ink, envelopes, kraft paper, sticky labels, packing tape , or tissue paper.

Soooo- exact postage that you pay means you will lose money on shipping.

Calculated Shipping is better but you have to put your packaging costs into the asking price.

Flat Rate shipping can be used, where you either make up the cost of shipping or

DON'T PANIC!

Use Free Shipping-- which means putting all your shipping costs into the asking price for your items.

Which is cheaper:  a $10 item with $5 shipping ? A $5 item with $10 shipping? A $15 item with Free Shipping?

Flat rate/Free allow you to massage your costs better than Calculated.

But Calculated makes allowances for destination, which cannot be done with Flat Rates.

EASY.jpg

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

@ledisme 

For your reading pleasure.

https://www.canadapost-postescanada.ca/information/app/far/business/findARate?execution=e1s1

Toss in a few postal codes and zipcodes  (90210 is easy to remember).

Most buyers don't do enough shipping to know what Canada Post charges, and usually Canada Post is the cheapest and most reliable shipper in Canada.

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

-----------------------------------------
Help us keep the community friendly and fun for everyone, check out the Guidelines
Message 10 of 10
latest reply