shipping with netparcel

I am a very new seller. I have literally spent way too much time researching using Netparcel through Paypal and I'm so confused!
I have yet to make a sale, so haven't had to deal with shipping yet.
1) How do I go about using paypal Netparcel when I make a sale (I already signed up with Netparcel through Paypal) Is there something you click when shipping on eBay?
2)Do you all charge a flat rate when listing your items? I'm scared the postage rates Canada Post charges are way too high.

Thanks for your time.
Message 1 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

shipping with netparcel

2)Do you all charge a flat rate when listing your items?

Not for parcels.

Use Calculated Shipping because rates for parcels vary not just with dimensions and weight, but also with Destination.

I'm scared the postage rates Canada Post charges are way too high..

In some cases you can reduce costs by using the Flat Rate Boxes you can buy at the PO or online. Don't buy any until you need them

You do not pay for shipping, your customer does.

If you live in the right city you may be able to use chitchatexpress to ship to the USA . A similar company is redstallion. These companies run your parcels across the border and ship using the lower USPS rates. You will pay a small fee and you have to bring your parcels to them.

You get some discounts and access to the Expedited Parcel service.

https://www.canadapost-postescanada.ca/cpc/en/business/small-business.page?

Message 2 of 19
latest reply

shipping with netparcel

Ebay and Netparcel aren't linked so you would have to use a flat rate if using them.

Message 3 of 19
latest reply

shipping with netparcel

I don't have chitchats here in Winnipeg (I wish we did). Redrunner is crazy high for fees, not including the shipping. That's why I was thinking Paypal netparcel would be cheaper to use. Thanks for your answer 👍
Message 4 of 19
latest reply

shipping with netparcel

That's what I was thinking. But it seems a lot cheaper to use them instead of eBay shipping. The prices of shipping to the USA are crazy high, and might deter ppl from buying from me
Message 5 of 19
latest reply

shipping with netparcel

It can depend on the service that you are using and of course the weight and dimensions of the package.  For example, you are charging $15 for UPS to the US for the single resin Betty Boop ornament.  If you use ebay shipping or have a small business number with Canada Post and the package was 100gr or less, the cost for small packet would be $8.13 and $12.29 with Tracked Packet.  If it is more than 100 and less than 251gram, the cost would be 9.95 or 14.07.

Small packet USA does not have official tracking although it is often scanned by usps and a delivery scan 'may'show up on the ebay site.   Tracked Packet has tracking and can be used for packages up to 2kg.

Dislcaimer...I don't ever use UPS and as my items are fairly light I've never looked into it.  

Message 6 of 19
latest reply

shipping with netparcel

Some of your flat items might be able to be mailed using Lettermail if they are mailed within Canada.  Need to be under 20MM thick and under 500g weight.

Message 7 of 19
latest reply

shipping with netparcel

The company I was thinking of (I haven't used it) is stallionexpress.

Shipping is expensive. You can lower it a little but it is a big expense.

But again, you do not pay shipping, your customer pays shipping.

Message 8 of 19
latest reply

shipping with netparcel

While our American customers are passionately in love with Tracking, it is actually a Seller Protection and does nothing for buyers.

If you use an untracked (LetterMail) or occasionally tracked (like Small Packet USA) service, you forfeit protection against unwarranted claims that the buyer did not receive their purchase.

But the postal service is very good at what it does and most people are honest.

Most Canadian sellers of lower value goods don't bother with tracking, and have lower shipping costs as a result.

Message 9 of 19
latest reply

shipping with netparcel

I'm worried because I'm a new seller. My items are around $20. When tracked shipping is around $15 or higher, it seems a bit ridiculous. I don't want to get dinged as a new seller for not using tracking lol
Message 10 of 19
latest reply

shipping with netparcel

I'm just worried because I'm a new seller, and don't want to get dinged for not using tracking. My first pkg went well with Paypal Netparcel UPS (well, it got to the destination with no problems, but my first shipment paperwork was a bit unnerving). Thanks for your input. I have all my listings for Canada Post tracked for now.
Message 11 of 19
latest reply

shipping with netparcel

Netparcel (UPS) is WAY BETTER then Canada Post.

They will cost less money and get your package delivered faster.  

When sending packages to the USA there is no comparison, Netparcel/UPS wins every time.

The only time Canada Post might be cheaper is when you are shipping to a very rural address within Canada.

(Also, UPS does not ship to P.O. boxes, so sometimes you are forced to use Canada Post, unless you exclude P.O. boxes as a destination).

I almost always use flat shipping, but you don't have to.  You can enter the package size/weight  in the listing and let the buyer pay an approximate shipping fee.  (In my opinion, I would rather charge $35 with free shipping, or $30 with $5 shipping, than $20 with $15 shipping.  You get the same money but it's more appealing to the buyer).

If you start selling higher volumes, and decide to pay for an ebay store, you can import the destination address directly into netparcel which saves time when printing the label.

If the UPS store is reasonably close to you, I would go with Netparcel.

Message 12 of 19
latest reply

shipping with netparcel

"If you start selling higher volumes, and decide to pay for an ebay store, you can import the destination address directly into netparcel which saves time when printing the label."

-----

@funadvocate 

I'm curious about your comment.  

I could be wrong but I was under the impression that there was no longer a way to sync eBay orders with net parcel and if there is, why would having a store be necessary?

Why would making a store make a difference as far as importing the address?

Message 13 of 19
latest reply

shipping with netparcel

I'm not sure why having a store is necessary, but when you link netparcel with your ebay account you're asked for the name of the store and the store url (see photo).  Once you have it setup, to import the buyer's info all you need to do is copy and paste the ebay order number into netparcel and voila!  I've been doing it for about 4 months now and it's really fast.

I never got it to work without having the ebay store.

As for why the store is necessary - don't know - that's a question for netparcel I guess.Untitled.jpg

Message 14 of 19
latest reply

shipping with netparcel

There's a federal law in Canada that says courier companies MUST charge more than Canada Post delivery rates for equal service, so for things that travel in envelopes they'll always be more expensive. But for parcels they get around the law by offering BETTER service. I just shipped a box yesterday that was 75cm x 74cm x 19cm and 3.7 kg from Ottawa to Montreal. Canada Post was $42 for an estimated 4 day delivery time and I had to drop it off myself a postal outlet. The amount for Canpar (thru netParcel) was $36 for 1 day delivery time and they'd actually come collect from my home, but they wouldn't be able to collect it from my home for that rate until the next day. Yesterday I also shipped a small box to Pennsylvania, 18x18x7cm at 310 grams via tracked packet and CPC charged me a bit over $15 with my discount. Thru netParcel the cheapest rate I was offered was $26 via UPS Standard. The difference in speed was 3 business days for UPS and 8 for Canada Post but since that was an ebay sale (and ebay buyers already think 8 day delivery is amazingly quick) the $15 option was the one I went with. Now that's for things where the box size doesn't exceed Canada Post's package dimension limits.

For things that do EXCEED the CPC size limit, like for example a bicycle shipping box... you're not going to get any better than thru netParcel. On Sept 3rd I shipped a bicycle to Surrey from Ottawa insured for $1200. The canpar delivery time was 5 business days (now of course because I shipped on the friday before labour day weekend 5 business days actully means delivery on the 13th), the driver picked up the box (156cm x 24cm x 74cm and 21.8 kg) from my front door, and the charge was $233 and change. If I had gone thru  Canpar (without involving netParcel) the rate I was being quoted was over $360 and I had to bring the box to one of their drop-off locations myself.  UPS and FedEx rates were even higher. 

Another thing to consider with the courier companies... thru netParcel is that there can also be extra charges for residential pickup, special handling instructions or rushed same day residential pickup close to the end of the business day but it depends on the courier. For my bicycle shipment, the rate quoted for Canpar was identical with residential pickup and special handling as without. For UPS standard, dropping off at a UPS store I was quoted $246 for six business days delivery and $8 higher for residential pickup.

Message 15 of 19
latest reply

shipping with netparcel

I'm just worried because I'm a new seller, and don't want to get dinged for not using tracking.
There is NO requirement that you use tracking.
Our US colleagues can track pretty well anything for a 25 surcharge.
And Americans are paranoid about being cheated.
As mentioned Tracking is a Seller Protection.
If a sketchey customer decided to claim your shipment was not delivered* you will be refunding his entire payment because you cannot prove otherwise.
When that happens, you are out the cost of shipping, the cost of your eBay fees, and the procurement cost* of the item you shipped.

Most sellers report that they have a less than one percent rate on Disputes of any kind.
So if you sell 100 $20 items (which cost you $400+ in shipping, fees, and original cost) you have a profit of ~$1600.
If you lost one Not Received dispute (one percent) , your profit goes down to$1580.
And you paid $300 in untracked shipping instead of $1500 in tracked shipping.

*Or an honest but nervous one has a late delivery.
** Because the item you sold for $20 cost you less than $5, your loss is that $5 not the vapourware selling price.
Message 16 of 19
latest reply

shipping with netparcel

@deeeight wrote:

... I just shipped a box yesterday that was 75cm x 74cm x 19cm and 3.7 kg from Ottawa to Montreal. Canada Post was $42 for an estimated 4 day delivery time and I had to drop it off myself a postal outlet. ....

The dimensional shipping surcharge strikes again: 75x74x19cm = 21.09kg parcel rate

There is no federal law that couriers have to charge more for parcels than Canada Post. The only restriction is for domestic lettermail.

-;-

Message 17 of 19
latest reply

shipping with netparcel

Hello, use eBay Calculated Shipping when listing and provide your parcel dimensions. It will calculate shipping rates depending on the buyer location. When your item is sold, go to print shipping label, choose the appropriate shipping methode you will see right away how much it cost, then you can print your label and stick it on your parcel, eBay will charge you on your available funds, then you will just have to drop your parcel at the post office.

I hope this will be helpful.

Message 18 of 19
latest reply

shipping with netparcel

You were quoted $26 for a 18x18x7cm at 310 grams with net parcel?

That should cost $9.50.

I can send a medium sized parcel to California for that cost.

Something must have been wrong with the quote.

Sending to the USA via UPS Netparcel is usually 1/2 the cost compared to Canada Post.  Sending domestically is usually 10-20% cheaper, unless to a very rural address.  And the delivery times are always quicker.

Message 19 of 19
latest reply