so long it was fun at one time

well. im done with ebay. tired of getting ripped off. im not the only one to go, and im sure more will follow.  hopefully the closure goes smooth. im off to ioffer. thanks everyone for your help and advice.

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Re: so long it was fun at one time

tikazyg
Community Member
love to go somewhere else.
no point staying here if i don't buy anything anymore.. the GSP is driving me away.
unfortunately, i know of no alternatives.
Message 2 of 21
latest reply

Take care and good luck .. dishonest scum bags will be everywhere you go. ..

gsp programs driving you away ..

so far 8 of the 10 US sellers removed it when i asked have you tried asking

Message 3 of 21
latest reply

I not ready to give up just yet but I am close, too many dishonest sellers plus G.S.P equals frustration.  Ebay take notice, the revolution has begun.

Message 4 of 21
latest reply

The US sellers will soon realize the sales they are losing. Some already have adjusted there shipping prices to reflect the extra fees charged by GSP. In theory it's a good program, but you have to be careful.

Message 5 of 21
latest reply

I don't buy from any seller who uses the GSP program after paying ridiculous amounts on items I normally wouldn't. My clients won't pay it either, so there's no point bidding on things with the GSP attached to it. My buying has dropped from thousands to a few hundreds now. As more and more US sellers are forced into the GSP, or choose to enroll in it... I will be buying less and less U.S.

Now, I see lots at $200 or $300 that would have been sold last year at $80... Greed is also driving buyers away, that and charging and getting away with charging $400.00 for shipping on an item that should only be around or no more than $18. Ridiculous! 

Many other sites are opening up for our market and sadly, because I like the convenience of eBay, sellers like us, and buyers like us are looking elsewhere.  Hate to see it happen, but there's a train wreck about to happen that interjecting dollar giants will put off for only a short time further, until the absence of quality , small shop sellers will be greatly felt.  

Without a strong foundation, any mighty structure will topple... 

Janet and Paul
Message 6 of 21
latest reply

Now, I see lots at $200 or $300 that would have been sold last year at $80... Greed is also driving buyers away, that and charging and getting away with

There are two issues here.

lots at $200 or $300 that would have been sold last year at $80...

Since you are buying for resale, what is happening is your customers are buying directly. I've been involved with auctions for over 30 years and one thing I have learned is that an informed collector can always outbid a dealer, who , after all, has to add all her expenses to the hammer price in order to sell profitably. The collector has no such constraints.

charging $400.00 for shipping on an item that should only be around or no more than $18. Ridiculous

This was meant to be ended by charging sellers fees on shipping and by giving sellers bonus DSRs for using Free Shipping (including shipping costs in the asking price, which may also make a difference in your first point).

The GSP is not meant to be used by businesses. This was discussed elsewhere. However, since GSP uses a courier for delivery (at a much lower fee than the notorious UPS), the shipping cost will always include applicable duty and tax which are sometimes/susually overlooked by CBSA/Canada Post.

However, as a business, you know that just as you get tax credits on items shipped out of Canada, you also get a refund of taxes paid on any item purchased for resale. It's part of your monthly sales tax report.

Message 7 of 21
latest reply

@thebarterersdog wrote:

Many other sites are opening up for our market and sadly, because I like the convenience of eBay………………….

EBay is NOT convenient.

It's familiar and there's a big difference.

Other sites are much more buyer friendly and seller-simple.

Message 8 of 21
latest reply

ice-cutters- is there a specific problem we could give you advice about?

You are aware, I hope that you have up to 45 days to dispute an Item Not As Described or an Item Not Recieved and get your money back , right?

Message 9 of 21
latest reply

Yes, and I got a sale on one of those other venues just this week.

The Ranch, which will accept your eBay listings holus-bolus. Although they also automatically reduce your asking price by what they believe would be your eBay fees on the item.

Unfortunately, the item had sold on eBay about two months earlier. My bad, I don't remember to update those other sites often enough.

Message 10 of 21
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

Yes, and I got a sale on one of those other venues just this week.

The Ranch, which will accept your eBay listings holus-bolus. Although they also automatically reduce your asking price by what they believe would be your eBay fees on the item.

Unfortunately, the item had sold on eBay about two months earlier. My bad, I don't remember to update those other sites often enough.

……… and that's not even one of the sites I buy and/or sell on or know much about.

Sellers stick to eBay because they're afraid of change and like the familiar.

However, every day more and more are wandering from this safe haven and discovering that they aren't trapped here.

EBay has some benefits that other sites do not have (yet).

No site can compete with the exposure of eBay and this is where the newbies first land.  

However……… many experienced buyers have left are aren't looking back.    Experienced buyers who remain tend to buy for re-sale.  Collectors like to be treated with respect and other sites do that better.

Among other issues for non-American buyers the GSP is a huge insult and slap that puts buyers in their place, and some just won't take it.

Message 11 of 21
latest reply

eBay is just another on-line mall now.

‘Back in the day’, before all the rules and roadblocks set up by eBay, it was fun. You really could buy and sell unique items. The last dozen or so items I looked at (mostly Lego stuff for the grandkids), are cheaper at Amazon, and even cheaper at Toys ‘R Us and Walmart. I bought a couple of these, only because I had to use up the funds left in my PayPal account.

I don’t understand why people buy this stuff on eBay, unless they live in area where they don’t have a local Walmart.

Of course, they still have a way to buy stuff here (on-line), so why they don’t shop around before making a decision?

You HAVE to use PayPal, for example. For many years, I had 100% success with money orders doing worldwide trading. With PayPal, it takes too long to get paid, they take a cut, and it’s a PITA for new eBayers.

Trying to work within all of their policies is extremely confusing (don’t know if they still have their eBay University).

Their market audience is huge, but shrinks rapidly when you are told (not by eBay, but by helpful users) that if you include a shipping cost to Canada and request buyers to ask for a rate if they are outside of Canada in your listings, ONLY Canadian buyers will see your listings, automatically eliminating all other potential buyers. May as well use eBay’s little brother (Kijii) where there are no fees, no insane shipping charges, and you meet your buyer face to face. Just a bunch of kids playing around, mostly, but I have had great success there with larger items like guitars.

After moving into a smaller home, I have lots of neat stuff to sell. I really hoped this would be the venue to do it. After three months of experimenting with some common items, I’ve had it.

Best of luck to those who stay.

Message 12 of 21
latest reply

This thread was last addressed in 2013.  We are now in 2018.

Message 13 of 21
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

This thread was last addressed in 2013.  We are now in 2018.

Interesting - looks like thinks have not changed much.

Old enough to know better. Young enough to do it again. Crazy enough to try
Message 14 of 21
latest reply

eBay won’t die, if that’s what you mean.

But, even you have to admit that eBay has become too complicated and is a monster when it comes to new users. Surely, there must be something negative you can say about the venue to join in the spirit of this thread 🙂

(the cusory smily)

Message 15 of 21
latest reply

"there must be something negative you can say about the venue to join in the spirit of this thread "

I wrote extensively over the years about the many policy and technical problems facing Canadians on eBay.   I wrote so many negative comments in the late 20th century and early this millennium that I was invited (all expenses paid) to visit for two days the Head Office in San Jose California and talk to senior management (including president, vice-presidents and CEO) about the many problems facing members, specifically sellers.

Nonetheless, I managed over 106,000 successful sale transaction in my time on eBay before final retirement early last year.

It is a matter of learning what eBay is all about and working within their system.

Message 16 of 21
latest reply

Apparently, the meeting did’t work. The learing curve is too steep now for casual users, especially Canadians like myself.

You have been very successful and deserve kudos. Happy retirement!

Message 17 of 21
latest reply

born2golf91
Community Member

I thought mikal was done with Ebay in 2013?

Oh well, I guess he still has to sell that 1921 5c.

Message 18 of 21
latest reply

lol

Message 19 of 21
latest reply

ZOMBIE THREAD FROM 2013

The problem with zombie threads is that the advice may be out of date or erroneous.

For example the OP who 'quit' in 2013 has 69 listings in 2018

Message 20 of 21
latest reply