sold an item through paypal, ebay holding funds

I sold an item and the funds are held by ebay until the 22nd of December (estimated). I saw somewhere that if the buyer leaves positive feedback, I should get paid automatically. I received positive feedback today (the ninth) and of course I have proof of delivery from Canada Post. Still no money in my paypal account. This is a $300 USD transaction so it's not just a pocketful of change. I tried to contact ebay by email but of course they make it almost impossible to do so. Should I call them to ask them when my money will be available ? Thanks.

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

The only part of a cleared payment that is released before the 21 Days is the part spent on a Paypal shipping label. Which for what it's worth also save us 5% to 15% on the cost of shipping against the price at the PO counter.

The Hold applies to new sellers (you have only made about 3 sales in a year ) sellers in high value categories (like cameras) and high fraud categories (like cameras) and sellers with poor selling records (not you!). It is a Buyer Protection policy.

And it is bloody frustrating for occasional sellers and those trying to break in a new income stream.

the funds are held by ebay until the 22nd of December (estimated).

Yep. There's your answer. And probably to the minute.

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

"I saw somewhere that if the buyer leaves positive feedback..."

That only applies to transactions on eBay.com where the goods are shipping within the USA.

The rules in Canada are different and there is no way around the 21 day hold by PayPal unless you cross the border and ship from the USA.

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

73rhc
Community Member
I've had the very same thing happen to me ( numerous times ) and by contacting Paypal directly, they will release the funds immediately. Even if you added a tracking number on eBay, Paypal may not see it.
Message 4 of 13
latest reply

@73rhc wrote:
I've had the very same thing happen to me ( numerous times ) and by contacting Paypal directly, they will release the funds immediately. Even if you added a tracking number on eBay, Paypal may not see it.

That may not have been for the same reason as in the OP's situation, which could make a difference. 

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

"That may not have been for the same reason as in the OP's situation, which could make a difference. "

The only reason I can see that they keep withholding the funds is, that there is a dispute that was opened after the buyer received the merch. But then why would they leave posiitive feedback?
Message 6 of 13
latest reply

Thanks to everyone for responding. I'm not waiting for this to live but it's frustrating anyway.

Anybody know exactly how many sales one has to do in order to be taken out of the "potential fraudster" list and get payed immediately after the sale ?

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/pay/payment_hold.html#avoid

New seller status ends once you've met all the following criteria:

• It's been more than 90 days since your first successful sale.

• You've completed more than 25 domestic* sales transactions.

• You have more than US$250 in total sales.

* The asterisk I added, I think by "domestic" they mean Canada/USA

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 8 of 13
latest reply

the problem is you are sending an invoice from ebay, if you do it from paypal and don't enter the item #, there wont be a 21 day hold

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

That's an interesting idea, angus.

But do customers panic at the thought of an 'off-eBay' transaction?  I'd worry about this since one of the original reasons given for the Hold was seller fraud. Often by low feedback sellers.

Or is my effort to think like a criminal for a story I'm writing working all too well?

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

If the item was purchased on ebay and paid for on Paypal, it is still an ebay transaction, not an off-ebay transaction. But, I have to agree that it could sound quite shady to some buyers even though they would still be covered by buyer protection through Paypal.

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

Thanks to 73rhc. I have written to paypal with item number and mentioned that feedback had been left by buyer and that the tracking number proved that the item was delivered. My funds were released within an hour with no further questions asked.  Smiley Happy

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

Yay!!!

Message 13 of 13
latest reply