to good to be true offer

nilesb450
Community Member

I received an invitation to sell some items on Ebay for a guy in Germany.The deal is at my expense I would offer to sell some hi tech items in the $1000 - $2000 range on my ebay store using only 3 day auctions.He would ship the stuff out and the buyer would pay me...  .45 days after the transaction I would send him 60 % of the money and keep 40 % for my troubles.Where is the flaw??

Message 1 of 28
latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

Re: to good to be true offer

The flaw is that you won't get the items.. Dont do it.

If it looks like chicken, and tastes like chicken... it probably is chicken!

Message 2 of 28
latest reply

It is just another SCAM.

Don't even bother to reply.

Message 3 of 28
latest reply

I am thinking how exactly would this scam work.

One idea is that sender and buyer is the same person. Pays by credit card and after receives the money, files charge-back through the credit card.

Another idea is competitor or someone who wants to sabotage the OP. Nothing gets shipped, money gets returned, but reputation and possibly Ebay account will be gone.

But why only 3-day auctions ?

Message 4 of 28
latest reply

nilesb450
Community Member

Thanks for the interest but I will get the money from the buyer not him,and if the buyer does not receive his stuff,then I would reimburse him at no benefit to the guy that shipped the stuff.So I still don't get the scam although I am sure that there is one. Thank you

Paul

Message 5 of 28
latest reply

Fake goods that won't last more than 90 days?

The money goes to you? You hold it until you are satisfied?

It is a scam, I know.

Message 6 of 28
latest reply

I can't quite get an image of how the scam would work either.

45 days before requiring money is a long time, and as far as I can see there is nothing forcing you to send the guy in Germany the 60%.

That's why it has to be a scam............ it's just too good to be true.

That said, I've often thought that if I had a similar set up with someone in Japan selling my stuff I could make a killing.

Thing is, I'd never trust anyone enough to team up with in that way.

Do you know the guy or were you just a random seller he sent the message to?

Message 7 of 28
latest reply

nilesb450
Community Member

Sans doubt c'est un scam mais comment?

Message 8 of 28
latest reply

nilesb450
Community Member

Your thoughts are just like mine .The guy has a real english name John Christain but I was chosen from random or a sucker list.

Indeed why would he trust me.

Message 9 of 28
latest reply

nilesb450
Community Member

re inuk the polar bear

If the goods were that crummy would they last the 45 days before I forward the money??I think it is a scam and it could be like you say in that my reputation is dirtied not his.Cool idea. Thank you

Paul

Message 10 of 28
latest reply

nilesb450
Community Member

Re dipmicro

I appreciate your comments but if he files a charge back I would simply refund the money because I am the one being paid, so no advantage to anybody.

2nd idea maybe but a lot of trouble to go to to screw me ,who he does not know and he gains nothing.

Message 11 of 28
latest reply

Most likely a scam. It seems a lady from Germany (also Germany) was going to offer me something similar. I just never called  Hamilton ( Canadian) telephone number she sent me asking  to call her. Happened about a week ago.

Message 12 of 28
latest reply

nilesb450
Community Member

Hi dipmicro

I am trying to send you an opinion on why 3 day auctions but I cannot get the idea posted even though this message goes out.Maybe it is because I use the word ebay

Message 13 of 28
latest reply

nilesb450
Community Member

Hi Dipmicro I will try again with different words .If I have several 3 day auctions of $1000+items a certain company makes good money every 3 days,but I am sure they would not stoop that low.Na!

Message 14 of 28
latest reply

nilesb450
Community Member

hi olgaolga

Interesting ,maybe that is why Germany is the richest country in the EU. Thank you

Paul

Message 15 of 28
latest reply

The customer has up to 45 days to file a dispute, but if she files on Day 45 the Dispute continues for another 20 days.

If you (or your German partner) cannot prove delivery (not shipment) then you must refund.

Most sellers are a little vague on the exact moment that the original payment was made, but the deadline works to the minute from that time.

Then there are credit card chargebacks which can allow 90 days or more to file.

Hmm - the supplier's minion orders the $1000 doohickey.

The supplier sends nothing, or sends "something" using Delivery Confirmation (not Signature Confirmation).

The seller sends the $600 to Germany on Day 45.

The minion complains of non-delivery a few minutes before Day 45 deadline expires, but after the 60% has been sent.

Or the minion waits until the $600 has been recieved (by Paypal? or given German preferences, by wire transfer) then does a chargeback on the credit card he backed his PP account with. 

The seller is out fees and $600 and has to refund the $1000 to the minion.

The only problem I have with this is that it would only work once or twice before the seller caught on. It's a lot of work for very little return-- Germany is not a cheap place to live.

Of course, the "German" supplier may actually be in Lagos.

In any case, whether you are selling cheap jewelry or Bose sound systems, dropshipping is not a good idea.

Message 16 of 28
latest reply

Why would someone in Germany, or anywhere for that matter, want to have a complete stranger sell his goods for him? Especially high ticket items? Makes no logical sense! There must be a reason this person is doing this. I would not take a risk, you are not shipping the product, or even get to see what's being shipped, or if anything is actually being shipped. Probably a credit card charge back like other people said, a lengthly process. What about all the fees you'll have to pay to paypal and ebay, on $1000-$2000 items, the fees are a lot. This person will probably try to get you to transfer the money to him sooner than 45 days, I can see it now. Even 45 days isn't enough time to ensure the transactions went through hassle free. Just don't bother with it, there's no logic in it.

Message 17 of 28
latest reply

Forgot to mention, why would this person go to a person with 81 feedback to sell their high ticket items, wouldn't they go to someone with a little more experience? Sounds like this person is looking specifically for sellers with lower feedback. Strange!

Message 18 of 28
latest reply

Hello. It probably isn't a scam, at this point. You'll tell the German that you want to do it and he probably mention that he needs your bank account info, or something to that affect, to protect himself. Don't even bother with it. Norm

Message 19 of 28
latest reply

What True says. The original email is the bait. Take the bait, then they proceed to set the hook.

Maybe the German, whomever, writes back requesting "seed" money as a goodwill gesture. At some point, they will start asking for things that were not in the original request. Get the trust built and then BOOM BABY, yer done.

The opening email is simply a ruse.

Message 20 of 28
latest reply