which courier is the cheapest to provide tracking overseas

I want to sell my item internationally including The United States. I want to know if Canada post is better with there rates than say ups or another corrier service

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

i always use canada post myself,fed ex and ups are very expensive as far as i know,they will also charge your customer fees,i would not ruse  courier service myself

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

@veryoften wrote:

I want to sell my item internationally including The United States. I want to know if Canada post is better with there rates than say ups or another corrier service

For small sellers, Canada Post usually beats UPS / FedEx / CanPar.

You can buy your postage through paypal using eBay's discounted Canada Post rates. Can be paid with your paypal balance.

You can buy online using Canada Post's Solutions for Small Business card (cost for the card is free). Requires a credit card and the first time using EST can be annoying. Has discounts over buying at the postal counter.

Shipping note 1: Don't use too large a package or you could get hit with the dimensional cost adjustment for some shipping services. Length x Width x Thickness (in cm) divided by 5000 (6000 if regular/expedited parcel) = dimensional weight in kilograms. You get charged the higher of actual or dimensional.  Light packet, Small packet and Tracked packet don't have this charge.

Shipping note 2: Don't use a surface method for worldwide. The cost is attractive, but it usually takes too long for eBay these days and you could have Item-Not-Received (INR) claims.

If you are lucky where you live then you might be able to have a cross-border shipper (for a small fee) take your parcel across the border (max value of $800) and have it reshipped via the USPS using their domestic rates (very cheap inside the USA).

Those I know of: chitchatsexpress (Vancouver, Toronto, Halifax), stallionexpress (Toronto), dykpost (Alberta), runninred (Winnipeg).

-..-

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/apps/far/business/findARate?execution=e1s1

https://ircalc.usps.com/

If you are considering ChitChat and similar forwarders, check the rates first.

And Surface is too expensive for what they give you.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Fed ex seems to have some decent prices for larger packages to the US but in many cases Canada Post is less expensive.  I would never use a courier for an overseas package unless the item was very expensive and the buyer knew they would have to pay brokerage, duty etc.  

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

For items under $20 mamy Canadian sellers would send the item without tracking as the risks are usual minimal and You could buy a 3rd part insurance such as insurepost if you are really worried but make sure you know what you would need if you have to make a claim.  

Do do not use small packet ground for overseas items though, most buyers are not going to wake 6+ weeks to file a claim.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply