why are ebay sellers losing HUGE? only the creator of the gsp knows..

The creator of the global shipping program IS A THIEVING IGNORANT , and I hope Pitney bowes goes broke.  that is all.  Take your 15% mark up AND SHOVE IT

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Bottom line. U either ship to me in ca registered as us so I don't pay that bs tax. Or I don't buy from you. More and more people refuse to deal with sellers enrolled in this ignorant program. We will find elsewhere to buy. Hopefully sellers can continue to find mindless purchasers like those commenting on my shepherds will. I'm not a sheep like you, so we don't see eye to eye.

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

The GSP is a Seller Protection program.

It has little or nothing to do with the buyer experience.

The 'import fees' are made up of Canadian duty and sales taxes plus a small service fee (~$5USD).

It is a terrible program for Canadian buyers in particular, because our government has seen fit to leave the postal duty free allowance at a paltry $20CDN (~$16USD) since the 1980s.

However, by encouraging US sellers to open sales internationally, eBay has stopped the flatlining of sales from those sellers. The program, again a Seller Protection program, has been popular enough that it has been extended to UK sellers.

It's still a terrible program unless the doohickey you are purchasing is bulky or high value, in which case it would probably be assessed for duty and sales taxes by CBSA in any case.

Was there a partcular problem with the delivery or are you just upset that you paid the legally required duty and sales taxes to the Canadian government?

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

@veriman90 wrote:

The creator of the global shipping program deserves to be castrated. IS A THIEVING IGNORANT , and I hope Pitney bowes goes broke.  that is all.  Take your 15% mark up AND SHOVE IT

Why are you posting this in the Seller Central forum? 

GSP is a buyer problem only for GSP-enabled purchases from USA and UK.

Canadian based sellers do not use GSP for their listings.

-..-

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

I've never paid before is the problem. I don't care what the government is entitled to as long as they don't get it from me. This program ensures they get there duty. I don't like that.
Message 4 of 15
latest reply

If you don't want to pay Canadian import taxes, you could always move down south. Their import allowance is $200 USD if I remember correctly.

Personally, I'm happy to pay taxes to keep my free health care.

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

If you don't want to pay Canadian import taxes, you could always move down south. Their import allowance is $200 USD if I remember correctly.

It was $200 for a long time however, I think it was recently upped to $800.  Unless I am wrong.  Am I ?

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

You're not wrong.

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

@veriman90 wrote:
I've never paid before is the problem. I don't care what the government is entitled to as long as they don't get it from me. This program ensures they get there duty. I don't like that.

I don't understand, you are registered as being in the US. The GSP only adds charges to orders sent outside the US. Or have you moved here? Or is this a second address?  

If you never paid anything before (if you live in Canada) its just that you were lucky and the items were of low value. By that I mean under around $100. People often say that items valued at under $100 slip through the postal system without being assessed. Thats because it would cost the government more to collect the tax than what they actually get.  

The real official amount is $20. Anything over that and we are really supposed to pay on it. Its just the way Canada is. You can't very well say "as long as they don't get it from me", not if you live in Canada. All citizens pay taxes to their government. In some countries the total taxes is much higher, through income taxes and everything.  

This link explains it all better than I can, but see that it says, 

Value in Canadian dollars

Under the provisions of the Postal Imports Remission Order, if someone mails you an item worth CAN$20 or less, there is no duty or tax payable. If the item is worth more than CAN$20, you must pay the applicable duty, the GST or HST, and any PST on the item's full value.

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/import/courier/menu-eng.html

It is true that the GSP ensures the Canadian government gets their taxes and and duty but it makes no sense to begrudge it. If you end up buying much from outside Canada you will eventually have to pay through Canada Post anyway. CP does not decide to charge you, they just pass along the parcel and collect what the gov't tells them to, basically.

Same for couriers.  They ALWAYS charge any taxes or duty, not because they want to but because they have to. Its the way life is in Canada. When you buy something at the local mall, do you complain about paying tax there? It wouldn't do you much good.  

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

The GSP is not mandatory. Sellers can enroll or not - it's their decision.

I am VERY HAPPY with the program as a buyer. 

I am paying about 70% LESS for large and heavy items shipped to me from the UK.

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

People like "I'm happy with tax" are exactly the problem with this country, the reason I pay 60% of my income only to wait 12 hrs for a checkup and to still pay for medical services just directly and for everyone, not just for myself. Lastly most packages do not get pulled in for duty processing even though they may be taxable. This program prevents any from being overlooked. Ignorant. I am registered in us as I get most sellers to ship to me here and not get recognised by the program. (Is most people are not mislead fools and get that I don't want to support a country that is becoming increasingly communist" anyone who thinks otherwise, should play in the highway with a blindfold in. Not enough shepherds and too many sheep.
Message 10 of 15
latest reply

Bottom line. U either ship to me in ca registered as us so I don't pay that bs tax. Or I don't buy from you. More and more people refuse to deal with sellers enrolled in this ignorant program. We will find elsewhere to buy. Hopefully sellers can continue to find mindless purchasers like those commenting on my shepherds will. I'm not a sheep like you, so we don't see eye to eye.
Message 11 of 15
latest reply

That's 'sheeple' .

get the jargon right.

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

I don't see any sheeple here, only a troll. 

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

The answer is really easy - your have a choice - don't buy it if they are shipping GSP.

Old enough to know better. Young enough to do it again. Crazy enough to try
Message 14 of 15
latest reply

This topic has been locked due to hostile comments and interpersonal disputes.
-----------------------------------------
Help us keep the community friendly and fun for everyone, check out the Guidelines
Message 15 of 15
latest reply