Selling in USD

Can someone tell me how can I list in US funds on ebay.ca?  Thanks, Sue

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Selling in USD

marnotom!
Community Member
That option was dropped by eBay Canada a few years ago. Sellers who want to list in USD have to list on the .com site now.
Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Selling in USD

Even if you are registered on dotCA, you can list on dot.COM.

Actually, you can list on any eBay site, UK, Australia, Germany, Brazil, India.

There may be a few language problems, but ....

You must list in the currency of the site.

With the exception of dotCA, you must use Flat Rate Shipping from an International Location.

You must ship to the country of the site.

So if you list on dotCA, you list in loonies, can choose to list with Calculated Shipping, must ship to Canada, and can be seen in any country you give a shipping cost for.

If you list on dotCOM, you list in USD, can only use Flat Rate shipping , must ship to the USA, and can be seen in any country you give a shipping cost for. Which may or may not include Canada.

If you list on dotCA and ship to the USA, your American customers will see your price in USD in Search and in both currencies (loonies and USD) on the actual listing.

Don't forget about currency exchange .

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Selling in USD

@marnotom! wrote:
That option was dropped by eBay Canada a few years ago. Sellers who want to list in USD have to list on the .com site now.

For the sellers that are still able to list and have a store on dot com, how do things play out for fees if, for example @triber 's case create a listing on dot ca with the pick up situation?

-Lotz

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Selling in USD

Thanks for your reply.  I tried listing something on the ebay.com site a few days ago but it wouldn't let me submit as my mailing address (residence) is in Canada.  Also under the Shipping methods it lists all US methods with nothing to do with Canada Post. 

There are so many CAD sellers listing in USD and they are quite far away from the US border which now you can't cross.  I use to sell in USD before they started the eBay Canada site. Now when I want to sell it automatically transfers me to that site.

Thanks again.  I will keep trying to see what I can do on my end.

Sue in Burnaby

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Selling in USD

Thanks for your reply to my inquiry about listing in USD though I live in BC Canada.  Years ago I used to list in USD but since they started they eBay.ca site I am automatically taken there if I want to list something.  

A number of days ago I tried using the ebay.com site but it wouldn't let me submit my listing as my residence was in Canada.

I find it odd that so many Sellers across Canada can list in USD especially when they are so far away from the US and can't cross the border to ship their item from there. They have to use Canada Post, Purolator, UPS, etc.

I will keep trying on my end as I sure miss the little extra money I would be able to have if my listing were done in US dollars.

Sue in Burnaby

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Selling in USD

To list on ebay.com you cannot use Calculated Shipping.

Remember that on ebay.com the Domestic Shipping section deals with shipping to USA addresses only.

In both Domestic and International sections select  the Flat Rate Shipping option available from the drop-down menu. Some research is required to determine what rate to enter for each country you choose to ship to. If you wish to offer free shipping enter 0.00.

Since all shipping services are subject to delayed delivery due to covid and heavy volumes I strongly reccomend choosing Economy Shipping from outside of the U.S. Of course when an order is received you can ship with any Canada Post service you choose to use.

Screenshots attached below.

20201121_182818.jpg20201121_182442.jpg

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Selling in USD

There shouldn't be a problem listing on .com with a Canadian postal code as many of us do that.

If you list on .com and are using Canada Post you have to use a flat rate, not calculated shipping.  If you are using small or tracked packet to the US the rate is based on weight, not distance so its easy to figure out a rate.  But sending a parcel in Canada can vary quite a bit so it is really a guessing game.  The majority of my Canadian buyers are in Ontario so originally I  based a flat rate on shipping from my location in Alberta to Ontario.  If a buyer is in one of the Maritime provinces or in the north,  then I end up paying more than what I charged but if they are in BC or a Prairie province, I pay a bit less so it hopefully averages out.  I also use lettermail for some of my items but if you have to use a parcel service the majority of the time, then it is probably best to list on .ca and use calculated shipping.

I suppose in some cases Americans may prefer to buy an item that is listed in $US rather than in a different currency but other than that, I'm not sure why you think that you make extra money listing in $US.  

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Selling in USD

@burnaby_sue wrote:

... I tried using the ebay.com site but it wouldn't let me submit my listing as my residence was in Canada.

I find it odd that so many Sellers across Canada can list in USD especially when they are so far away from the US and can't cross the border to ship their item from there. They have to use Canada Post, Purolator, UPS, etc.

You seem to be close enough to use ChitChats (a cross border shipper). You take your parcel to them, they take it across the border (for a small fee) and send via USPS. Advantage is cheap USPS domestic shipping/tracking and you can use ebay.com calculated shipping for the USA (from the ZIP code that ChitChats uses).  ChitChats only works for items valued less than $750.

On ebay.COM domestic shipping is for the USA (not Canada). Canada is in the International section for shipping.  Shipping to Canada (if enabled) would have to be flat rate.

-..-

Message 9 of 9
latest reply