2014 Fall Seller Update

Hi everyone,

Please use this thread to discuss the 2014 Fall Seller Update.

Thanks!

Raphael

Message 1 of 81
latest reply
80 REPLIES 80

2014 Fall Seller Update

"I don't think "Kalvin" responded to a single question in the spring update"

That is correct.

eBay staffer did NOT respond to a single question or comment in the Spring Update:

http://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Updates/2014-Spring-Seller-Updates/m-p/207835#U207835

Maybe, just maybe, we expect too much for the fees we pay.

Let's try our questions on the Wednesday Board Hour (often monitored by eBay Canada country manager).

Message 21 of 81
latest reply

2014 Fall Seller Update

Hi Pierre

Here is the link. It is under When do I have to pay for return shipping under frequently asked questions

http://pages.ebay.ca/sellerinformation/news/fallupdate2014/after-sale-experience-details.html#highli...

Message 22 of 81
latest reply

2014 Fall Seller Update

Hi Pierre

I think the domestic on the .com boards refers to the managed returns, not money back guarantee

Message 23 of 81
latest reply

2014 Fall Seller Update

What I found is:

Discussion Boards

Join a special Community board and discuss these changes with eBay staff and other sellers.

"with eBay staff"????  Smiley Sad

Message 24 of 81
latest reply

2014 Fall Seller Update

Hi Pierre

These comments confuse me as don't seem to be related to your last question of where did you find this

Message 25 of 81
latest reply

2014 Fall Seller Update

Confusing choice of words!  Lots of reading today on both sites. I must be getting tired.  Sorry.

I found from your link:

• If your policy indicates that you pay for return shipping, then you will be charged for return shipping. Otherwise, the responsibility for return shipping charge is determined by the reason the buyer chooses when requesting a return. If your buyer indicates they are returning an item because they changed their mind, they are responsible for return shipping. However, if the buyer requests a return because there’s a problem with the item or the item is not as described, then you will be responsible for return shipping. This policy applies to all transactions on ebay.com and ebay.ca for domestic and international buyers.

At the bottom of the page is where I found ".... discuss these changes with eBay staff and other sellers."

Message 26 of 81
latest reply

2014 Fall Seller Update

Anonymous
Not applicable

@gravenimages wrote:

Received the notice about fall selling today. I consider it spam and I did not request it. Further the spam did not have a link to unsubscribe. I have wasted 15 minutes trying to locate ALL the notification choices but saw nothing that would pertain to this note.

I do not want any emails from ebay in my personal mailbox. If ebay wants to notify me then please use the mailbox in my ebay account which is the best way to be certain the email is actually from ebay.

Thanks

Hi gravenimages.

You can unsubscribe from general marketing communications from eBay, but two or three times a year we send a notice to all our active sellers about important and impactful changes coming to the platform - especially those that may require action or consideration by the seller. We don't have an opt-out for these, and we don't currently have an option to send these to My Messages only, because we want to be sure these communications reach all of our active sellers. We also send notification to all members whenever we plan to introduce any changes to the user agreement or privacy policy.

Message 27 of 81
latest reply

2014 Fall Seller Update

Anonymous
Not applicable

@pierrelebel wrote:

"I don't think "Kalvin" responded to a single question in the spring update"

That is correct.

eBay staffer did NOT respond to a single question or comment in the Spring Update:

http://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Updates/2014-Spring-Seller-Updates/m-p/207835#U207835

Maybe, just maybe, we expect too much for the fees we pay.

Let's try our questions on the Wednesday Board Hour (often monitored by eBay Canada country manager).

Hi Pierrelebel.

We'll try to answer as many questions as we can during the board hour. I'll be there.

Message 28 of 81
latest reply

2014 Fall Seller Update

Anonymous
Not applicable

@dutchman48 wrote:

If Ebay tries to enforce this, I definitely won't be selling to Canadians at all.

Hi dutchman48. That would be unfortunate. We certainly don't want to see any eBay sellers stop selling to Canadian buyers.

Message 29 of 81
latest reply

2014 Fall Seller Update

Anonymous
Not applicable

@dutchman48 wrote:

Are any Ebay mode here to answer concerns, they are on the US Boards

We'll be online at 10am tomorrow for our weekly board hour, and will respond to posts where we can outside of that hour. Hope to see you there.

Message 30 of 81
latest reply

2014 Fall Seller Update

Anonymous
Not applicable

@dutchman48 wrote:

Are any Ebay mode here to answer concerns, they are on the US Boards

We'll be online at 10am tomorrow for our weekly board hour, and will respond to posts where we can outside of that hour. Hope to see you there.

Message 31 of 81
latest reply

2014 Fall Seller Update

I'm right behind you packing my bags already and getting ready to leave  as soon as the **bleep** hits the fan thanks for nothing Ebay!

Message 32 of 81
latest reply

2014 Fall Seller Update

Anonymous
Not applicable

@dutchman48 wrote:

Sellers will be responsible for return shipping when there’s an issue with the item or the item wasn’t as described.

1. Who decides the above as Ebay couldn't care less and adjudicates nothing to speak of.

2. Is this only for domestic in Canada as I believe it is only for domestic in the US

3. If I sell something for $7.50, send it by regular mail, it arrives,  and the buyer files a SNAD, who decides what the return shipping cost is and is tracking a requirement. Will Ebay then force the seller to pay for tracking in Canada which starts at around $12.00 and goes up from there when it may only have cost $2.00 to send it originally. This is a joke due to our tracking costs.

This all needs to be clarified or I am gone for sure.

Hi dutchman48.

1. When a buyer asks us to step in and help, we will do our best to make a fair determination. There are a number of protections we have put in place for sellers too, as laid out in our Spring seller announcement.

2. This will apply to both domestic and cross border sales, in cases where the item is significantly not as described.

3. Even with great photos, clear descriptions, and terrific communication, returns are still going to happen, and sometimes for the item not being as described - for example, when an item breaks in transit. You're right - return shipping can be more expensive than outbound in some cases. One strategy is to consider putting return labels into your packaging as a matter of course. For example, Canada Post has a returns product for businesses that only charges the sellers Canada Post account when if and when the label is actually used. It's great for buyers, and it's a way for sellers to ship returns at a contract rate.

Message 33 of 81
latest reply

2014 Fall Seller Update

Anonymous
Not applicable

@tch_ca wrote:

Is Raphael real and will he/she be participating? I don't think "Kalvin" responded to a single question in the spring update.

Hi tch_ca.

Raphael is realer than real. I sit with him in fact. 🙂

So sorry about the radio silence from Kalvin. Our old friend who was working the Kalvin account has left us and is greatly missed.

Message 34 of 81
latest reply

2014 Fall Seller Update

Anonymous
Not applicable

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

I'm not sure if you disagree with me or with the new policy but  I'm not happy about the new policy.  I do realize that there are cases when in reality, a seller has goofed up and really should pay for return shipping and that in the past, ebay has not required them to do so.  But even the 'good sellers' who would admit a mistake and pay for return shipping are now being penalized by having to pay for it just based on the buyer's say so.

Hi pjcdn2005.

I understand your concerns.

As ecommerce has evolved, so have buyer expectations. When I joined eBay, we still payed by money order or cheque, everything was auction, and there was no structured format for international shipping. It was actually pretty hard to buy things on eBay compared to today, but millions of us did it anyway (and loved it too). But together with our sellers, we've come a long way since those days, maturing and evolving as a marketplace. It hasn't always been easy and it hasn't always happened in a straight line, but we've made the journey in partnership with our sellers, and been lucky enough to retain millions and millions of buyers. These days, if we want to continue to attract and retain buyers, they expect a lot more from us - both eBay and from our sellers.

Message 35 of 81
latest reply

2014 Fall Seller Update

Anonymous
Not applicable

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

@dutchman48 wrote:

If I am correct, I don't think managed returns are available to Canadians even if they list on .com.

Clarification would be great as all this might be a mute point for Canadians.

Even if it is only U.S. sellers opted in to the whole hassle free program, according to the fall update on the Canadian site, we will still have to pay for return shipping if the item is not as described.

http://pages.ebay.ca/sellerinformation/news/fallupdate2014/after-sale-experience-details.html#highli...

If your policy indicates that you pay for return shipping, then you will be charged for return shipping. Otherwise, the responsibility for return shipping charge is determined by the reason the buyer chooses when requesting a return. If your buyer indicates they are returning an item because they changed their mind, they are responsible for return shipping. However, if the buyer requests a return because there’s a problem with the item or the item is not as described, then you will be responsible for return shipping. This policy applies to all transactions on ebay.com and ebay.ca for domestic and international buyers.

Managed returns is only available for sellers shipping from inside the US. The section of the update quoted above applies irrespective of whether or not a seller is using the managed returns feature. Hope that helps clarify.

Message 36 of 81
latest reply

2014 Fall Seller Update

Anonymous
Not applicable

@dutchman48 wrote:

If I am correct, I don't think managed returns are available to Canadians even if they list on .com.

Clarification would be great as all this might be a mute point for Canadians.

Managed returns are only available to sellers that ship from inside the US.

Message 37 of 81
latest reply

2014 Fall Seller Update

Anonymous
Not applicable

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

@dutchman48 wrote:

If you opt for no returns to get out of the managed returns (which shafts sellers), what is to stop Ebay, when an INAD is opened, to just say since you as a seller do not accept returns, buyer can keep it but you still have to refund item cost plus shipping?

Opting out of returns really isn't going to accomplish anything. If a buyer claims an inad you have the choice of refunding after the item has been returned and paying for return shipping or of refunding and telling the buyer to keep the item. Have a return or a no return policy won't change either of those options.

Correct.

Message 38 of 81
latest reply

2014 Fall Seller Update

Ebay has refunded many buyers and let them keep the item. Read the discussion boards - items claimed as fakes with no proof, courtesy no fault refunds from Ebay, and other as well

Message 39 of 81
latest reply

2014 Fall Seller Update

Ebay is opening the doors for every scammer in the world and rental buyers with this idiotic policy. If they believed what sellers say about receiving totally different items back, or missing parts, or replaced with their broken ones, or rocks, or boxes of what ever, or just an envelope, the policy might not be as bad.

EBAY BELIEVES THE BUYER 99 TIMES OUT OF A 100 AND THE SELLERS GET SHAFTED.

This will just open more doors for scammers and fraudsters which there are more and more on Ebay all the time. Now they can tell all their friends to come to Ebay for easy merchandise with no repercussions. Safer than shoplifting. Ebay will lose a lot of sellers that are also buyers due to this policy.

Yea, I am not happy as Ebay can do what they want when they want and they are dumb enough to expect all sellers to accept it or they do not care.

Ebay was safer when we did not have all these idiotic policies and we could pay with MO or check and receive the same.

Why not just take all sellers payments, hold them for a year and then release it to give buyers 100+% protection and really tell sellers they mean nothing.

Message 40 of 81
latest reply