2016 Spring Seller Update

Hello Canadian sellers,

This is the thread reserved for discussion around the 2016 Spring Seller Update announced today.

Read about the Update here:

http://pages.ebay.ca/sellerinformation/news/sprupd16/index.html

Message 1 of 220
latest reply
219 REPLIES 219

Not sure if a new policy or just a glitch...

I went over the invoice breakdown and it appears to be something that only started yesterday ( April 21)

I have 2 transactions that were from USA and both were charged FVF based on the USA shipping price

But April 20 and before, I was only charged the domestic rate regardless of buyer location

Message 201 of 220
latest reply

If it's a new policy, there will soon be a great hue and cry raised over it. (Unless I have misunderstood the application of it prior to this which is possible since I don't pay much attention to the FVF on Shipping that appears on my invoices.) There is always a ruckus when things change, especially when changes are made without notice. 

But that's interesting: you might want to start a new thread in Seller Central on it so more sellers see your post. 

Message 202 of 220
latest reply

WOW!

Something smells here. And it does not smell roses. Smiley Sad

Your comment made me look at the eBay.ca fee schedule once again (they change it regularly)

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/sell/fees.html

Once again this is the fee schedule on eBay-Canada

Take a look at the last line:  All fees are in US dollars.

Once again someone at eBay screwed up.  They copied the info from eBay.com and forgot to customize it for Canada.

Shame on eBay (one more time).

And I am confident the staff at eBay has a good excuse for the problem.  They always have.  I am getting tired of them. Really.

Message 203 of 220
latest reply

OK but these changes shouldn't go into affect until May 6th and I don't see any mention of FVF on shipping changes anywhere

Even under the 'How fees work' page

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/sell/insertion-fee.html

Under the heading " Final Value Fees"

If you list on eBay.ca and a US or international buyer purchases your item, your final value fee for shipping is calculated using whichever service is less expensive, either:

• The first domestic service in your listing that isn't express, or

• Your international or express shipping service

This is fishy indeed Smiley Frustrated

Message 204 of 220
latest reply

"...I don't see any mention of FVF on shipping changes anywhere"

Neither do I.

Something is wrong, very wrong.

Message 205 of 220
latest reply

Just finished talking with Ebay customer service for over 30 min
They tried making some excuses for why my FVF on shipping had gone up.

They initially said it's because I offer multiple shipping methods on my listing and that the buyer had chosen the more expensive one. So in that sense I was getting charged FVF on the lowest international shipping method.

However, my buyers chose the cheapest method, so the above scenario is null.

So I got a refund, an apology and 'promise' to escalate my case
Message 206 of 220
latest reply

I am glad to read you got your fees refunded.  It should not take 30 minutes for eBay to correct a problem.

Now, on a different note, I notice in your listing:

Shipping:
~PLEASE NO P.O BOXES FOR THIS LISTING~
Shipping includes tracking and insurance

Canada ships by Canada Post
USA Ships by USPS

Why would that be? Both Canada Post and USPS deliver to PO boxes.

Message 207 of 220
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

I am glad to read you got your fees refunded.  It should not take 30 minutes for eBay to correct a problem.

Now, on a different note, I notice in your listing:

Shipping:
~PLEASE NO P.O BOXES FOR THIS LISTING~
Shipping includes tracking and insurance

Canada ships by Canada Post
USA Ships by USPS

Why would that be? Both Canada Post and USPS deliver to PO boxes.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, Pierre, but I think this answers your PO box question:

http://community.ebay.ca/t5/Selling-on-eBay/What-about-shipping-from-Canada-to-post-office-box-in-Un...

This is my POSTING id.
Message 208 of 220
latest reply

@beakco wrote:

Thanks for the reply.  My question is actually not regarding changing store levels.  Actually what I am asking is if you have a annual subscription for say a anchor store.  When the new plan rolls out, will I get another bill or will eBay honor the remaining months left over in the subscription that has already been paid.

And if that is the case.  Will these anchor stores still get 10,000 free listings or will it be 2,500 (the old plan).  I hope what I am saying makes senses and is not too confusion.

Thanks!

Sellers generally pay every month for their stores even if they have a yearly subscription and the bill they receive in May will be for the higher amount and they will have the increased number of listings as of May 6th. If a seller is billed at the beginning of the month, the bill will be pro-rated since there are 5 days at the old rate.

I didn't realize that anyone paid for the full year ahead of time...is that what you did? If so, you will be billed the extra amount. I don't know if they will do that monthly or all at once.

Message 209 of 220
latest reply

Ales - The question was asked to funfunlego1  

We know why many American sellers do not ship to PO boxes.  That is not the question.  That seller is Canadian using Canada Post to ship. Let the seller answer.

Message 210 of 220
latest reply

Pierre, Alex

I don't ship to P.O boxes for larger item is because I find that there are 2 problem types who use P.O boxes:

1. People who don't have a permanent address or travel around a lot. If a problem were to occur I wouldn't hear about it for maybe months. I realize this could also be a problem for people with residential address, but I think the risk is less

2. P.O boxes to be fright forwarded. I've had 2 incidences of this happening last year, both on smaller parcels. But none the less I didn't want this to happen again

In truth of the matter, the "no P.O boxes  for this listing" is a bit redundant because P.O box address are on my exclusion list anyways 

Message 211 of 220
latest reply

@funfunlego1 wrote:

Pierre, Alex

I don't ship to P.O boxes for larger item is because I find that there are 2 problem types who use P.O boxes:

1. People who don't have a permanent address or travel around a lot. If a problem were to occur I wouldn't hear about it for maybe months. I realize this could also be a problem for people with residential address, but I think the risk is less

2. P.O boxes to be fright forwarded. I've had 2 incidences of this happening last year, both on smaller parcels. But none the less I didn't want this to happen again

In truth of the matter, the "no P.O boxes  for this listing" is a bit redundant because P.O box address are on my exclusion list anyways 

Wouldn't the PO hold on the the package until the buyer picks it up...

or would they send it back to the seller after a month or so?

This is my POSTING id.
Message 212 of 220
latest reply

Alex,

No idea how long items at a PO are held for, but I'm positive its longer then a month

But I do know that if parcels need to be sent back to sender, the cost falls on the seller 

Message 213 of 220
latest reply

I've never had a problem with an item being delivered to a post office box. A package is safer at the post office or in a po box than it is when it is left on someone's doorstep.

Many smaller centers only have post office boxes so you are eliminating all of those potential buyers.

I don't remember ever seeing a forwarder with a box number. Usually there is a street address for the forwarding company and a customer number. Perhaps some have a p.o box number but I don't think that is always true.

Message 214 of 220
latest reply

"No idea how long items at a PO are held for"

Actually the rules for notification and holding period are the same for items addressed to a business, a residence or a PO Box.

It should also be noted that a "change of address" filed with Canada Post (about $60 for 4 months) does not include re-forwarding of parcels.

Message 215 of 220
latest reply

For those thinking of &/or considering moving over to Etsy:

As a seller with a wee presence on Etsy for the past few years, I can tell you that Etsy is a mess right now.

Message 216 of 220
latest reply

Joined Bonanza back in 2009 with the basic free account booth...it was Ok back then, got a few sales but since that time Bonanza has pushed their pay tiered membership levels and "webstores"  promoted ads,etc and has been stripping the basic free account of many of the seller tools & features so that unless a seller promotes their presence on Bonanza on social media, promoted ads etc,etc, it may be a tough go there. There is not a lot of traffic to Bonanza. I still have the basic free account, and do not do social media or promote...have had 2 sales from Bonanza in the past 12 months.

Message 217 of 220
latest reply

I am glad you got your fees back.

However, was your item listed on eBay.COM? If so, FVF on shipping will be on the US shipping cost.

Message 218 of 220
latest reply

Nope listing was on .CA

As I explained previously, I didn't change anything in my listings or add any new items recently

It kinda was out of pure luck that I decided to check my seller account that day or who knows how long the problem would have gone on for.

FVF on shipping is suppose to be $0.29 CAD, but I was seeing $0.44 for usa and $0.78 for international. I do a quite a bit of volume, so small costs like FVF on shipping really adds up, especially  when 70% of sales is non- domestic.

Message 219 of 220
latest reply

Cute...Apparently I'm now on the Ebay forum watch list and having my post moved around...Thanks...

Message 220 of 220
latest reply