A customer from the US! Urgent question! Thanks!

shv.-68
Community Member

I am new here. Today, I received my first offer from a customer in the US, though I listed my item on eBay Canada. 1. Is it common to have customers from the US?

2. How should I handle the shipment? I asked both FedEx & Canada post, and they charge around CAD$52. 

3. Can I ask the buyer to pay for the shipment? If so, how can they pay it? online?

p.s. I have included free shipping in the shipment section of the item. But I don't see anywhere writing international free shiping. I don't think I mentioned that.

Thank you!

View Entire Topic
marnotom!
Community Member

Actually, your prospective US buyer will have seen nothing about free shipping on the item because you didn't set up your listing with a US shipping method and rate.  Instead, they'll have seen this:

top.jpg

and this:

bottom.jpg

. . . so I think you're perfectly within your rights to give them a shipping quote to their location and send them an invoice with the US shipping charge on it should they commit to purchasing the item.

In case you're wondering, I changed my shipping location from my postal code to the USA with a US ZIP code, so that's how I was able to get those messages to come up on your listing.

It's interesting how this prospective buyer found your listing, actually. as it shouldn't have come up for them in a search if they were browsing the dot-com site.  Perhaps they've found they can find the occasional bargoon if they search directly on the Canadian eBay site instead of the American one.