Buyer messing around with address

Buyer sniped auction. Then complained about shipping cost because insurance and signature are required. I sent screenshots of Canada post rates. I guess he didn’t believe that; he changed his address from California to Oregon “to check”. When I pointed out that this would incur CA sales tax and a _higher_ total, he changed it back. I agreed to eat the cost of shipping and sent him an updated invoice last night, for the original Oregon address. This morning, it has changed again to some “cargo” address in Germany!! I do not ship to Germany. The auction clearly states Canada and USA shipping only. He hasn’t paid yet, and I don’t want to nag with another message. All of these addresses are what eBay is giving me, not some random request through messaging. This is starting to look like a problem buyer… What would you do?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

marnotom!
Community Member

I agree with the other responses.  If you don't want to send more messages to this "buyer," your best recourse is to cancel the transaction now with the reason "problem with address."

By the way, I'm wondering if the Oregon and California addresses your buyer tried using are forwarding services.

Some unsolicited advice: Never let your buyers dictate your shipping terms.  Your shipping terms are what they are for a reason.  Your buyer probably figured that since you were willing to ship to CA or OR for free, that it wasn't much of a stretch to ship to Germany gratis.

More unsolicited advice: If you intend on relisting the lens and you're unable to test to see if it works, you'd be best using the condition descriptor "For parts or not working."  If you end up getting a buyer who files an Item Not as Described  (INAD) case for the lens claiming that it's not working, your only hope of defending it (and these cases/claims are just about impossible to defend) will be the description at the top of the listing page, not anything that you've stated in the listing description.  A "used" camera lens is assumed to have some functionality to it.  I know that "For parts or not working" isn't a good description for the lens's condition, but listing it as "used" when you're not sure if it works opens you up to the possibility of more problems.

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

Cancel the transaction using "problem with Buyers Address" you will have no defect given and be rid of a potential problem down the road whichever one they want to use as the shipping route...

Cancel with "Problem with address".

This will not get better.

Unfortunately when you cancel he can still leave feedback.

Be ready with a calm factual and SHORT response. "Changed address three times. Canada Oregon Germany."

Some sales are not worth having.

Buyers who mess around like that are not the kind of buyers a seller needs ...they are a problem waiting to happen...If it were me, I'd not be following through with the transaction..I would cancel the sale( reason: problem with address) and block the buyer. End of the messing around, end of the problem.

I have cancelled the sale.  eBay phone rep agreed with all of you and to "should I cancel this" he said it was a "big yes".  Haha.  Now I'll just have to deal with the angry bidder.

OMG, every time I click “send invoice” to check the shipping address, it changes. Now since I posted this question it’s back to the original Oregon address. I will not send this without signature confirmation, so if he’s going to pay now, although I want to cancel, is that protection enough to send…?
I am reminded of why I don’t sell things much on eBay. And regretting my decision to do so now. 😞