Postal Costs when selling CD's

I decided I would sell my CD collection before they are 100% worthless. I know when I sell a cd to a Canadian buyer I can send it cheap by letter mail for about $3 or $4.  In the past I was told by a Canada Post clerk that a CD in its case can not be sent letter mail to the USA, and it can only be paper in the envelope.  That makes the cost of shipping to the USA around $9.00. Is there some way around this? Can you send a CD in its case to the USA as a letter?  Thanks for the help!

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Don't hand it in over the counter.

Drop it in a mailbox.

The truckdriver and the guys at the terminal are much less interested.

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

according to Canada Post no ...

Letter mail rates to the USA and International destinations apply to printed matter only.

Letter mail as defined by Canada Post and what constitutes as acceptable and unacceptable can be found here:

https://www.canadapost.ca/tools/pg/manual/PGletpost-e.asp#1395417

sending a CD with a case in a bubble envelope to the U.S. is $ 4.55 Canadian.

put it in a bubble mailer, through the appropriate amount of stamps on it, and through it in the box.

If you try to ship it in a white envelope, it might come back to you.

You are not supposed to and you may get caught and possibly the buyer will have to pay extra.    It's like some sellers ship using media mail in the US for non media, they get caught and the buyer has to pay the extra shipping and usually give the seller a negative report. 

Cd's are not worthless as that is what I sell.  Although sales have gone down and so have prices, i still manage to make a profit.  

@mapleleaf-collectibles 

Have you considered listing them in small lots? Might make them more enticing to some buyers.

The customs part on Shippo takes a few extra minutes. With US mail there has been many reports lately of them being a bit more fussy regarding non-document items being sent using letter rate. Same goes for US sellers selling to US buyers. 

-Lotz