SHIPPO. PO won't accept package

I don't post here often, but ...in case anyone else has the same issue

First time using Shippo today.

Created Shippo  account, and printed label.

Label printed successfully, so I assumed all was correct.

I took package to post office, their system would not accept it:

REASON – Distribution order blocked for credit.

I contacted Shippo support, their reply (in part):

"We've had other customers report this issue, and believe we know how to resolve it. We spoke directly with Canada Post, and they informed us that they are working to re-communicate the changes that are part of Shippo becoming the eBay suggested shipping option to their retail locations. ....

....To rectify the situation, Canada Post suggested that if the Post Office employee is selecting "On Account" as the payment method, it could be generating an incorrect response. The option that the Canada Post worker should be selecting is "Supplier Account". This will allow the packages to be accepted without error."

Message 1 of 57
latest reply
56 REPLIES 56

Re: SHIPPO. PO won't accept package

@ajdornier wrote:

So it looks like it's been a while and I've been using Snap Ship since I can't afford to have delays in my shipping in order to maintain my rating.   Does anyone know if this whole Canada Post - Shippo thing has been resolved yet?

It can still be an issue. My last package had-needs-payment-or--return-to-sender popup  when scanned at the counter -- why?

Because the clerk had clicked on the wrong check box. It took about half a minute to for them to figure where the problem was.

Problem solving was helped along because the regular clerks at the postal outlet all recognize me, so they know it's a Canada Post system problem, and not me causing the problem.

Regular goShippo user since June, once scanned I've had no issues with packages.

Side comment: Canada Post makes their over-the-counter computer system needlessly complex. I was trained 40 years ago that a proper computer setup is one that makes it easy for the person using it. The computer is supposed to be working for the human. Not the other way around.

eBay discounts via Shippo (changes may come January 15, 2018):

Canada: Expedited Parcel

USA: Tracked Packet USA, Expedited Parcel USA, Small Packet

International: Small Packet Air

All other services are the same as buying online at Canada Post (except for the credit card part).

-..-

Message 41 of 57
latest reply

I had the same issue just this week too. The clerk knows how to induct Shippo labels but had clicked the wrong screen to do so and then it took her another two minutes to navigate backwards to find what she really needed. But there was no argument about it, she knew she had taken a misstep, not that I was trying to pull some kind of a fast-one. Any authorized dealer clerk still struggling, like really struggling, to understand how to induct a Shippo label at this point all these months later is the problem. It's not the fault of Shippo.

Message 42 of 57
latest reply

I went to two post offices yesterday with a Shippo label and, even telling the clerk it was supposed to be "supplier account" they could not get it to scan.

Both times I had to wait in line almost 20 minutes due to the holiday time. There is no way I am going to ask the clerk to phone a help line and sit there on the phone with 15 people sitting behind me.

I'm done with Shippo will continue to use my Canada Post account.
Message 43 of 57
latest reply

That's unfortunate.

Do us all a favour and report those postal outlets to Shippo so that Shippo can work with Canada Post to 're-educate' the authorized dealer staff. 

Message 44 of 57
latest reply

They can't get it to scan or is it telling them that the label hasn't been paid for? 

Message 45 of 57
latest reply

> They can't get it to scan or is it telling them that the label hasn't been paid for? 

It scans but it comes up as some kind of supplier credit issue. I have the receipt from Canada Post with the exact wording at home, I can't remember what it is exactly. Having them try to put it through as payment by supplier account, as I was instructed, did not help. The system gives them two options: charge me full rate for the shipping or else I take the parcel back. 

A barcode is a barcode is a barcode. I'm not sure why Canada Post's system can't just scan it and figure out what it is rather than having the employees (and the customer) try to figure out what to do. 

But I still blame Shippo here as I bought a shipping label in good faith, expecting it to work just like any of the dozens of shipping labels I've printed in the past. It didn't. 

Message 46 of 57
latest reply

It's honestly not a Shippo problem. The persons working at those counters are untrained. They have to use supplier account and induct it on a different screen using a second step most of them never saw until Shippo came along. It's one hundred percent a Canada Post training problem with the minimum wage staff at their authorized dealers. 

Message 47 of 57
latest reply

@ajdelore wrote:
I went to two post offices yesterday with a Shippo label and, even telling the clerk it was supposed to be "supplier account" they could not get it to scan.

Both times I had to wait in line almost 20 minutes due to the holiday time. There is no way I am going to ask the clerk to phone a help line and sit there on the phone with 15 people sitting behind me.

I'm done with Shippo will continue to use my Canada Post account.

Send the locations to cp vp of parcels Rod Hart

@CP emails all format  firstname.lastname  @canadapost.postescanada.ca

Message 48 of 57
latest reply

As far as I can tell I must be the only person in my town of 25,000 people who uses prepaid shipping labels. I have been bringing packages to the post offices here for many years with Paypal or Canada Post-generated labels and they often cause confusion with the staff but they figure it out eventually. 

The Shippo labels are the first ones I've had that just don't work at all. 

Message 49 of 57
latest reply

If they 'don't work' it's only because the clerks haven't figured out how to induct them. The labels themselves are not to blame, neither is the company that provides them. It's a training issue that needs to be addressed by Canada Post Corporation. 

Message 50 of 57
latest reply

same thing happened to me at post office located in vancouver using paypal shipping label.  unfortunately the clerk didnt know what to do.

Message 51 of 57
latest reply

As much as it is already a huge pain in the butt for you as a seller when that happens, the best thing to do is call the Canada Post 1-800-number when you get home to report it. How to scan a pre-paid label for acceptance at the post office is as basic a task as you can ask a clerk at an authorized dealer postal counter to do. They're also supposed to be clever enough to transfer thousands of dollars via MoneyGram and forward people's mail. They cannot be thrown untrained into the workforce. Either the dealer has a problem there or the regional manager isn't ensuring the store manager is doing proper training. 

I've had some real doozies at my local counter, and I've always followed-up with the store manager afterwards and, if it was bad enough, Canada Post too. 

The corporation is accountable to its customers. They need to know when their frontlines are failing.

Message 52 of 57
latest reply

@momcqueen wrote:

If they 'don't work' it's only because the clerks haven't figured out how to induct them. The labels themselves are not to blame, neither is the company that provides them. It's a training issue that needs to be addressed by Canada Post Corporation. 

I hear this mentioned all the time, but why is a Snap Ship or a EST printed label from the Canada Post web site scanned without a hitch. 

Message 53 of 57
latest reply

SnapShip is Canada Post. The label is designed to work properly.

Shippo somehow managed to make a bad design and it wasn't helped by the poor training postal outlet clerks* get.

While the clerks should know where to look, it seems we have to fill in that missed training ourselves.

Politely. We have to go back again after all. Don't burn bridges.

*Which is the responsibility of Canada Post, but I have to wonder how often the trainers get to the outlets, given that many of the clerks seem to be working minimum wage, minimal responsibility positions. The turnover must be high.

Message 54 of 57
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

Shippo somehow managed to make a bad design and it wasn't helped by the poor training postal outlet clerks* get.

And that is my point, why is it that Canada Post can design their labels to work properly but Shippo can't.  Sure we can blame the postal clerks, but Ebay was the one that was pushing Shippo down our throats but they didn't have the foresight to ensure that it would work seamlessly.  

Message 55 of 57
latest reply

@bpl521_sell wrote:

@femmefan1946 wrote:

And that is my point, why is it that Canada Post can design their labels to work properly but Shippo can't.  Sure we can blame the postal clerks, but Ebay was the one that was pushing Shippo ...

THIS A CANADA POST PROBLEM.

Shippo provides labels to CANADA POST specifications.

CANADA POST has an overly complex computer system which does not go well with new and under trained clerks.

SnapShip and EST Online provide expedited labels with CC in the bottom corner.

PayPal and Shippo provide expedited labels with SA/CF in the bottom corner.

-..-

Message 56 of 57
latest reply

From the customer side of the counter, it always amazes me how many buttons the clerk has to press to accept a label that is already in the system.  CP seems to make it much more complicated than it need to be and also seems to often change how things are done.

That reminds me of another company we deal with.....

Message 57 of 57
latest reply