Shippo Compared to PayPal shipping

After four days of working with Shippo tech support to get several bugs worked out I have done a comparison time wise between creating labels on Shippo versus creating labels on PayPal. two.  Know that 95% of my shipping is to the USA via Expedited Parcel or Tracked Packet.  The remaining 5% to Canada.

With all of the extra steps and inability to set defaults in metric and CDN dollars it takes twice as long to create a Shippo label than it does to create a PayPal label.  There is a latency problem from the time that you pay for the label until it appears ready to print.  I have yet to have a label appear for printing in less than three refresh requests. 

I have mostly combined item shipments that range from 3 items to 50 items.  A real time suck is the customs declaration page where I need to remove all of the separate lines and create a single line that better describes the contents that relate to the tariff code used.  To remove each line requires two mouse clicks and two page refreshes.  For some sellers this may not matter, but for me useless mouse clicks and useless page refreshes matter.  They matter a lot.

There are some other time consuming issues as well.  That said, the tech support team at SHIPPO is the best I have ever encountered.  They did not try to get rid of me with the least possible effort like some many tech support experiences go.  I provided a detailed account of my concerns and the Shippo design team are no planning a project to streamline the Customs Declaration input page(s). 

I guess everyone will have to do their own evaluation but for me and for the time being I will be sticking with PayPal shipping for as long as I can.

I hope this helps.

Fred

Message 1 of 24
latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

Re: Shippo Compared to PayPal shipping

You're ignoring the fact that the most common issues with the cart are not usually because the buyer is trying to check out with 2 currencies so limiting sellers to one currency is not going to suddenly make the check out process seamless. 

If you have 2 currencies in your cart eBay tells you that you have  to check out each currency separately and the process is fairly easy.   I assume that if your buyers are having a problem with multi currencies it is because they don't receive your shipping promotion if their items are from different sites.  Has that situation actually happened or is it more of a concern that it might happen?  Or are your buyers having problems in general when checking out with 2 currencies? When I have had to check out with 2 currencies in my cart it was quite simple.

The majority of sellers do not list on more than one site anyway so  as I said, I don't see this as a huge problem.  It doesn't make sense to me to suggest to eBay that they penalize all Canadian buyers and sellers by forcing them to buy  and sell in $US and have to pay conversion fees each time because some Canadian sellers are having problems with multi currency discounts.  Wouldn't it make more sense for the  sellers with that particular problem to limit their listing to one site? 

Message 21 of 24
latest reply

wow. thanks for all the useful info. I have been deliberating using shippo . Ebay shipping was less than stellar so i dont have great expectations about shippo - the name itself scares me.  I decided to sign up anyways but when i entered my email it recognized it as an account with Canada Post. That was a huge red flag for me.

I think I will stay with paypal - Does anyone know if Shippo is cheaper than paypal?

Message 22 of 24
latest reply

@cek12345678 wrote:

.... I think I will stay with paypal - Does anyone know if Shippo is cheaper than paypal?

eBay's Shippo rates for Small packet USA and International Small Packet (Air) are both less than PayPal. I haven't accumulated enough data about other services yet.

PayPal when not linked with eBay, will be using the rate you have with your Canada Post Solutions for Small Business membership.

Until July 31 most services via Canada Post's Snap Ship will be cheapest because of a temporary 15% discount off your regular SfSB rate. Disadvantage: credit card required.

shippo = SHIP HIPPO (hence the hippo logo)

-..-

Message 23 of 24
latest reply

Anyone who has had or is having problems with their Shippo label at the spot office should read this Announcement via ebay Canada.

http://announcements.ebay.ca/2017/06/30/8023/

Screen Shot 2017-07-02 at 8.56.48 PM.png

Message 24 of 24
latest reply