Shippo account Compromised

My son just had a terrible thing happen with his Shippo account. It was obviously compromised & in the early morning hours someone hacked it & did 22 pages of postage labels to the tune of just over $3,000 USD. They were all for the USPS. They also changed the address to an address in Texas.

My son tried to contact Shippo but could not get a phone # for them so did send 3 email requests (still not heard back). He even called eBay to see if they had a contact # for Shippo. He talked to Paypal & also to his bank who are stopping the charge from coming through his account (had not yet come through). Paypal indicated to him that if it came back as a charge back & was not resolved in 90 days they would come after him for it.

He even contacted the police department in the town in Texas but they said there was nothing they could do as they could not prove anything.

Has anyone ever had their Shippo account compromised like this? Does anyone know how to contact them via phone? He did of course change his password on the Shippo acct immediately. Any suggestions as to what else he can do?

He cannot figure out the end game here.  How it could benefit anyone unless they really were mailing 500 or so parcels. The packages are all tracked with #'s. He did not know if he should request refunds on them all or what he should be doing? He wanted to speak to them first but that seems to be all but impossible. Any suggestions as to the best course of action would be appreciated. Thanks,

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Google the TX address.

Is it a business? Is it a residence?

You also have the name of the scammer. Or an alias.

Did you give that information to the local police?

You may find the Anti-Fraud Centre useful.

http://www.antifraudcentre-centreantifraude.ca/

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Thanks for the suggestion. Police in TX did not seem interested.

Paypal has since called him back & said they found in his favour & that it was fraudulent. Still no word from Shippo.

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

So glad that Paypal came through for him, what an awful situation. I have never used Shippo personally, stuck to good old Paypal.

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

I've no idea what the hacker's method of monetizing the labels might be. So happy that Paypal came through for you, an eye- opening experience for sure. 

Had this happened to my account I'm not so sure I'd be done at just changing the password especially with it seemingly impossible to speak with anyone at Shippo. Probably would think hard about deleting the hacked account altogether and replace with a new account. 

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

That's really scary! I would even change all the passwords that's associated with the Shippo account, such as eBay or whatever platform you're selling online.

Glad to hear Paypal got it under control, hopefully you hear back from Shippo soon.
Message 6 of 11
latest reply

Yes my son says he is totally through with Shippo after this. He will use Paypal for his labels from now on. Terrible when you cannot get hold of a company in an emergency situation such as this. Also terrible that they are taking so long to reply. Have not checked with him today to see if he has heard from them.

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

My son finally heard from Shippo but not until he had harassed them on Twitter. They did agree to refund him but as Paypal had already said they would look after him he told them to contact Paypal & settle it. To me this is extremely unsatisfactory to be unable to contact Shippo by phone & their slow (non-response to emails) in the event of an emergency such as this. I am seriously thinking of stopping using them as well.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

There are a number of "hipster" companies that now operate without publicly accessible phone numbers, and the scenario you describe is one of the pitfalls of such a company.

It makes you seriously think about where you put your money.

I've always bought my postage from Canada Post retail outlets in the past or a third party (Chit Chats) who has both phone and web support.

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

You can buy your shipping labels online from Canada Post as well using their SnapShip service.

Printing the label at home and dropping the parcel in the nearest postbox can be useful.

You can also buy *reallynice* mint never hinged postage stamps here on eBay at substantial discounts from counter prices.

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

@katlover1952 

Hope you were able to get your situation totally resolved with Shippo? In being in contact with them regarding a separate issue I was able to get the following for future reference. Unfortunately not toll free but in case of an emergency could come in handy. 

As per customer service with Shippo.com

If you ever want to speak with us over the phone, you can reach us at 415-779-7447. When you call the number, you'll be prompted to give a brief description of the issue and your phone number. We will call you back within 30 minutes.

-Lotz

Message 11 of 11
latest reply