Abuse of the Mode/Color drop down menus in listings

It's been a while since I've used E-bay but I noticed a new function in which sellers can sell more then one type of item in a listing. I assume this was for selection of either Size Or Color, however I am seeing more and more listings abusing this tool by changing the prices around tricking people into clicking and or buying.

Examples

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Shatterproof-Premium-Real-Tempered-Glass-Guard-Screen-Protector-For-ipad-2-3-...

Saw this while searching for screen protectors for my Galaxy s4 it says Buy it now $0.99 when i do the search, but when i choose my phone model within the listing jumps to $6.69

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/12000mah-USB-LCD-Power-Bank-Portable-External-Battery-Pack-LED-for-phone-mp3-...

This comes up in the search as a 12000mAh Power bank for $4.49, but when i select the item from the drop down menu it jumps to $23.32, the cables listed in the same menu are only $4.49 and have nothing to do with the original listing.

Can the abuse of this system be stopped, It's not only annoying but I'm pretty sure is borderline illegal under bait and switch or false advertising tactics.

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

@icewolfpc wrote:

It's been a while since I've used E-bay but I noticed a new function in which sellers can sell more then one type of item in a listing. I assume this was for selection of either Size Or Color, however I am seeing more and more listings abusing this tool by changing the prices around tricking people into clicking and or buying.

Examples

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Shatterproof-Premium-Real-Tempered-Glass-Guard-Screen-Protector-For-ipad-2-3-...

Saw this while searching for screen protectors for my Galaxy s4 it says Buy it now $0.99 when i do the search, but when i choose my phone model within the listing jumps to $6.69

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/12000mah-USB-LCD-Power-Bank-Portable-External-Battery-Pack-LED-for-phone-mp3-...

This comes up in the search as a 12000mAh Power bank for $4.49, but when i select the item from the drop down menu it jumps to $23.32, the cables listed in the same menu are only $4.49 and have nothing to do with the original listing.

Can the abuse of this system be stopped, It's not only annoying but I'm pretty sure is borderline illegal under bait and switch or false advertising tactics.

Hi icewolfpc,

These types of listings are called Multi-variation - it consolidates multiple listings within certain categories. The first listing groups screen protectors this seller has to offer. When you get to the page, it's $0.99 as we display the lowest price within the group, but would naturally adjust according to the type & model selected. Buyers buying those items generally have an average price in mind, and we hope that it's somewhat aligned with the prices displayed. If you feel there's abuse outside of what I've described, please feel free to click 'Report' near the bottom of the listing.

Thanks,

~Kalvin
eBay.ca Community Manager

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

I find these to be extremely misleading to the point of false advertising,

If i walked into a store, saw a big sign for these and says $0.99 with a giant picture and text of the item. i would say hey good deal, But when i go to pay it jumpes up to $9.99. Things like that will get stores in trouble in the real world why in the ebay world it's allowed? These auctions I list have a 500% increase in the advertised price, while other go up by %600, this should not be acceptable.

The variations are a good idea but the intial price listed in the auction SHOULD match the item described in the title. In the cases i gave you the prices listed initially is not for the product listed in the title of the auction.

This is a bad practice that should not be allowed

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Kalvin, I think that the ones that bother people are not legitimate multi variations listings but more of an attempt to draw people to their listing because of a cheap price or to be near the beginning of a search asking for lowest price first.

For example:

Title -Jersey 4 pc Sheet set

3 variations - Queen size - $58.99

Full size - $48.99

4x4" swatch - .99

If the buyer is searching for just Buy It Now listings, the only price they see in search is .99.

If they are searching all listings, then they will see a range of .99 - $58.99

Either way, I think that it is misleading.

I've seen many different variations of that type of listing though of course I can't remember right now what other categories I've seen them in.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Bait and Switch Definition
noun

: a selling method in which a customer is attracted by the advertisement of a low-priced product but then is encouraged to buy a more expensive one

Source: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/bait%20and%20switch

Legal Wording from the FTC website

Sec. 238.0 Bait advertising defined.1

Bait advertising is an alluring but insincere offer to sell a product or service which the advertiser in truth does not intend or want to sell. Its purpose is to switch consumers from buying the advertised merchandise, in order to sell something else, usually at a higher price or on a basis more advantageous to the advertiser. The primary aim of a bait advertisement is to obtain leads as to persons interested in buying merchandise of the type so advertised.

Sec. 238.1 Bait advertisement.

No advertisement containing an offer to sell a product should be published when the offer is not a bona fide effort to sell the advertised product. [Guide 1]

Sec. 238.2 Initial offer.

(a) No statement or illustration should be used in any advertisement which creates a false impression of the grade, quality, make, value, currency of model, size, color, usability, or origin of the product offered, or which may otherwise misrepresent the product in such a manner that later, on disclosure of the true facts, the purchaser may be switched from the advertised product to another.

Source: http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/guides/baitads-gd.htm

I was Baited into clicking on the listing (advertisement) for the sale of an Item for a lower price in my case a Screen Protector for $0.99 but when I got to the site/store the item described in the title wasn't for the price initially shown, instead it was Switched to a different type of screen protector at a much higher price. As you should know this type of Practice is Illegal

The legal ramifications could be huge with these kinds of practices being used on ebay.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Since the FTC is American and I am Canadian I should also link the Canadian information on this practice as this would be the method i may take if this issue is not addressed

http://www.competitionbureau.gc.ca/eic/site/cb-bc.nsf/eng/00258.html

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Kalvin ... your explanation is not useful.

Fixing this abuse would be useful.

I was looking for a cell phone case and came across this issue.  I stopped reporting after 3 listings.

EVERYONE is forced participate in this deception ... otherwise their listing won't show up in a search.

Ban this practice !!!!

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

The problem with reporting the listings is that there isn't a listing for this type of practice, and it's a just a **bleep** shoot on which one to pick and if it they actually know what you really mean

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Hi Kalvin,

Why can't we have drop down menus for collectibles, like the UK has? Often, we have doubles or more of a collectible as we try to get better and better models of the collectible...

Carole

Message 9 of 9
latest reply