can a seller cancel the sale if he did'nt get enough money for item without a reserve

Recently bought a Tread Climber for $1356.00 seller canceled and refunded money as he stated he thought he'd get more. Relisted the item again without a reserve. I'm thinking this is a total violation of Ebay standards?

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

can a seller cancel the sale if he did'nt get enough money for item without a reserve

Yep.

The seller is stupid.

Not only is that not allowed, he actually told you (in an eBay Message?) that that was why he was cancelling? Wow. Dumb.

And then he relists without a Reserve. Did he raise the asking price to what he really wanted? That's a much more effective (and cheaper) way of getting the right price.

Unfortunately, eBay recently started allowing either sellers or buyers to cancel a transaction within a very short time after purchase, without the permission of the other party.

This almost always leaves one unhappy party.

Because this is so new, I'm not sure if this particular cancellation is a violation or not.

However.

You can still leave feedback. The most effective FB is calm and factual. "Cancelled purchase at $1356 as too low." would be effective. (If you were really mean and the $1356 was in US dollars, converting it to Canadian would be even more effective. That would be "Cancelled purchase at $1762 CDN as too low." But mean.)

At the same time you will be asked to leave Detailed Seller Ratings. A normal transaction gets 5 stars. The lowest Rating is ONE Star. No stars is a free pass.

If a seller's DSRs drop below 4.3 his fees may rise, the number and value of his listings may be restricted, or his selling account may be closed.

If he leaves any feedback for you, and don't worry, it can only be Positive, you can add a Response to it, and to your own, indefinitely. Like the best feedback, the most effective Resonses are calm and factual.

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

Thats what I thought too, contacted ebay and gave them all the details of the transaction as well as the email, left neg feed back and took him from a 100% to 83.3%. He actually relisted the treadclimber at .99cents again?
Message 3 of 4
latest reply

Hello 'cutter2626',

If you would like to see what ebay has to say about sellers cancelling the deal, there is this info link :

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/sell/cancel-transaction-process.html

Everything you ever wanted to know about cancelling a transaction. Smiley Very Happy  You'll see where it says, "Occasionally, you may need to cancel a transaction, for instance, if ... you made a mistake when listing the item."  

Well, certainly listing an item of that value with a start price of 99 cents is a mistake of the highest order, but perhaps your seller plans to continue on this path until he has a feedback score of -38 and finds his account suspended.  

If you scroll down to the bottom to "Things to keep in mind", you will see it also informs sellers, "If you cancel a transaction, the buyer can still leave you negative or neutral Feedback about the transaction."

He can't say he wasn't warned.  

Having said that, if it were me I would not have left the negative for a seller that new.  He does not appear to be trying to cheat anyone, - he's just a really clueless newbie.  I have a forgiving nature and would have instead sent a note outlining how foolish it is to start auctions so low.  

Listing items at a starting price of 99¢ is not a good way to attract buyers with deep pockets.  I would have sent him the link demonstrating that, according to ebay, an annoyed buyer can leave bad feedback after the unwelcome cancellation.  And if he was daft enough to relist at 99¢ again, I'd just watch and wait to see who would be first to chop him off at the ankles.  The hard part would be suppressing the urge to say "I told you so".

If you still want one of those things, you would be better off finding a seller with more sense.  Sometimes it is worth spending a little more to deal with someone who knows what he's doing.

Best wishes. Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 4
latest reply