How to deal with a Persistent Irritating Buyer?

I was selling a 10kt & diamond men's ring in Cad dollars.  Had an interested buyer from the US ask repeated questions about it.   Am I sure it is real gold?  Have I tested if it sticks to a magnet?  Why am I selling it so cheap (didn't think I was)?  Told him I have an appraisal for the ring that it is authentic. Then begged me to wait till his payday in a couple of weeks to buy it.  Then kept sending e-mails saying how excited he is to buy it & can't wait.  It is now a day before he gets paid & he says we agreed on a certain price which includes shipping.  The price we agreed on was different & no shipping included.   I guess he was testing me.   He then agreed to the price & shipping.  I have had bad feelings about this all along.  So I sent him an e-mail stating that I have second thoughts about selling to him & that he will probably find something wrong with the ring & send it back.  I told him I would sell it locally & not on eBay.  Now he keeeps sending me lots of e-mails begging me to change my mind.  I have placed him on my blocked list.  But how do I stop all the persistent e-mails?

Message 1 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

Since you have blocked him, he will never be a buyer, so the best thing is to ignore him.  He will probably just go pester someone else.  People out there like to "socialize" by asking questions, but have no intentions of ever buying.

Message 2 of 19
latest reply

I believe you can also block messages received from a undesirable buyer...

http://ocsnext.ebay.ca/ocs/sr?&query=69

Message 3 of 19
latest reply

Under Managing Bidders and Buyers...

5. If you want to prevent blocked buyers from sending you questions about your listings, make sure the Do not allow blocked buyers to   contact me check box is selected.

Message 4 of 19
latest reply

Thanks so much for all the good advice.  Have set the Buyer Requirements to not allow blocked buyers to contact me. The buyer sent me an e-mail with some profanity & called me names. And then had the nerve to ask if I want more money for the item.  I don't need buyers like that.

Message 5 of 19
latest reply

That buyer is trouble with a capital "T".... 

Message 6 of 19
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi.  I don't see where "Do not allow blocked buyers contact me" check box?  I never see that, so where is it.  I would love to use that feature so my insane buyers cannot contact me at any time.  Thanks in advance.

Message 7 of 19
latest reply

Click on "Help & Contact"....

Type in Block Bidders...

Click on "Manage Bidders and Buyers"

Click on "Add Buyer Requirements" then select and check "Don't allow Blocked Buyers to Contact Me" 

Message 8 of 19
latest reply

@silverpinups wrote:

I believe you can also block messages received from a undesirable buyer...

http://ocsnext.ebay.ca/ocs/sr?&query=69

That block never stopped blocked buyers (even those who had never been a customer) from messaging me. It appears to be a setting but did nothing to halt the flow in my case(s). 

Message 9 of 19
latest reply

You are right. Just got another message this morning from the annoying person I am trying to avoid. Added him to my blocked list yesterday & clicked on the buyer requirement to not allow blocked buyers to contact me. And now he keeps pestering me. I don't know if phoning customer service would help as a lot of them are clueless about many issues.

Message 10 of 19
latest reply

I think you are within your rights to call EBay Customer Service to report the buyer for harassment but you are correct in that they may not be useful. Unless the buyer is threatening you harm (as was the case with me) I think it's safe to simply delete the messages without replying.
Message 11 of 19
latest reply

I feel like I am being harrassed. One of his e-mails used profanity & he called me names. And today he still wants me to sell the ring to him. I have deleted all his e-mails without replying.

Message 12 of 19
latest reply

If profanity is involved, he should be reported. If the eBay CSR tries to tell you there's nothing wrong with profanity in messages (as they did with me) then ask them if you are allowed to use those words in your conversation with them. The answer is 'no'.
Message 13 of 19
latest reply

We are not allowed to swear at customers, customers are not allowed to swear at us. It works both ways for the CSRs.
Message 14 of 19
latest reply

I feel like I am being harrassed. One of his e-mails used profanity & he called me names. And today he still wants me to sell the ring to him. I have deleted all his e-mails without replying.

Definitely report the buyer to eBay CS for verbal abuse and also ask why the "don't allow blocked buyers to contact me" function is "not" working under the "Add Buyer Requirements" options...

Message 15 of 19
latest reply

To my knowledge, it has not worked as long as I've been selling here. 

Message 16 of 19
latest reply

Or, it may work for buyers who've been blocked due to Unpiaid Item strikes and the like but doesn't apply to members added manually. 

Message 17 of 19
latest reply

Did you ever ask eBay CS about the function not working? I would be interested to know....

Message 18 of 19
latest reply

Of course. And Raphael. They all took reports and said they'd look into it. Nothing substantial came of it, at least nothing brought to my attention. 

Message 19 of 19
latest reply