I Hate The Global Shipping Program It Is Ruining Ebay !!!! ......Comments ????

- If i am buying an item why do i want to fork out money to Pitney Bowes for nothing

-As a bidder i may as well not even bid on an item using the GSP as the extra money i have to fork out puts me at a huge  disadvantage against other bidders that don't have to contend with the GSP

- Most sellers don't realize how much the GSP hurts their bottom line it doesn't take a genius to realize the more bids you get the more   money you make....hello !

- Not only as seller do you lose bids but a bidder forced to contend with the GSP will pay less to compensate

- when i see the GSP on an item i just pass

- I have messaged sellers to thank them for not using the GSP

- first this GSP garbage was only in the USA now sadly it has bled into the UK as well

- We do not need Pitney Bowes to assure us our items will arrive safely if i wanted to pay a Broker to import for me i should have the        choice to choose my own Broker.

Be Realistic ....Postal Workers are not a bunch of underpaid thieves waiting to steal your package when nobody is looking they have morals like most other people ,they get paid a decent wage with benefits why would they risk their job ?

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

The Global Shipping Program was not designed for the comfort of Canadian shoppers, it was to lure xenophobic Americans into offering Worldwide shipping. As to buyers outside Canada, sometimes it makes more sense to use it than not. Our method of remitting taxes on import is streamlined and simple compared to some other countries.

As a conscientious bidder, your choice is whether to buy from a seller using it, or not.

Or buy Canadian. And avoid import taxes completely.

If you want to discuss it further, there are threads devoted to this topic exclusively. You'll find links to them embedded conveniently on the right-hand side of the main Community page.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

- If i am buying an item why do i want to fork out money to Pitney Bowes for nothing

Yep.

-As a bidder i may as well not even bid on an item using the GSP as the extra money i have to fork out puts me at a huge  disadvantage against other bidders that don't have to contend with the GSP

Yep

- Most sellers don't realize how much the GSP hurts their bottom line it doesn't take a genius to realize the more bids you get the more   money you make....hello !

Yep. But offering the GSP means the seller has a worldwide customer base not just a domestic one.

And only about 15% of transactions on eBay are auction. Most are Fixed Price and even auctions usually have a Buy It Now option.

Have you ever contacted a seller to ask if they know they are enrolled.

- Not only as seller do you lose bids but a bidder forced to contend with the GSP will pay less to compensate

This would be better posted to eBaydotCOM

- when i see the GSP on an item i just pass

This would be better posted to eBaydotCOM

- I have messaged sellers to thank them for not using the GSP

Good for you. This is a helpful move.

- first this GSP garbage was only in the USA now sadly it has bled into the UK as well

Because it is popular with sellers and works well for Sellers. The GSP is a Seller Protection program.

- We do not need Pitney Bowes to assure us our items will arrive safely if i wanted to pay a Broker to import for me i should have the        choice to choose my own Broker.

Nope.

The Seller has the choice of shipping service. This is a matter of Seller Protection, which was part of the reason for the Global Shipping Program to begin with.

Be Realistic ....Postal Workers are not a bunch of underpaid thieves waiting to steal your package when nobody is looking they have morals like most other people ,they get paid a decent wage with benefits why would they risk their job ?

Yep.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:

The Global Shipping Program was not designed for the comfort of Canadian shoppers, it was to lure xenophobic Americans into offering Worldwide shipping. As to buyers outside Canada, sometimes it makes more sense to use it than not. Our method of remitting taxes on import is streamlined and simple compared to some other countries.

As a conscientious bidder, your choice is whether to buy from a seller using it, or not.

Or buy Canadian. And avoid import taxes completely.

If you want to discuss it further, there are threads devoted to this topic exclusively. You'll find links to them embedded conveniently on the right-hand side of the main Community page.

Since the GSP import charges (not called import taxes by the GSP) have Canadian sales taxes as part of the import charges, I would say that "Or buy Canadian. And avoid import taxes completely" is rarely true.

Buying Canadian from Canadian retail stores and most Canadian eCommerce sites will have Canadian sales taxes added. Plus you have to pay sales taxes on the shipping cost within Canada too if I remember correctly.

Some eBay.ca Canadian sellers do not charge sales taxes so in a few cases you would "avoid import taxes completely". Even then, some sellers include the sales taxes in the item price so a Canadian buyer pays for them indirectly.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Thank You For Taking The Time To Reply To My Post.

I Ship from Canada to the USA all the time without tracking and i never have issues , customers have the choice if they desire to have tracking but nobody ever chooses this option.

I never have any problems.... if someone were to lie and say they didn't receive an item when they did ,well i chalk that up as a cost of doing business ,humanity as a whole i find most people are honest.

Exactly what are sellers protecting themselves from anyway... lying buyers or thieves at the Post Office ???

Here is my way of thinking as a seller and i've been quite successful.....

Let's just say i sell 100 items with an extra shipping cost of 15.00 my buyers have bid 15.00 less each time to compensate which equals a loss of 1500.00 ....say i get burned 3 times by a lying buyer (it hasn't happened so far) each time i lost 100.00 that's a loss of  300.00 compared to a loss of 1500.00...huge.

I am of course speaking in auction terms which was pointed out is only 15% of Ebay sales....Many sellers (not all ) treat " buy it now' as a glorified form of selling on Kijiji hoping someone is dumb enough "to bite the hook" but that's another discussion.

Thanks Again For Your Input.....Kevin

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Absolutely not agreeing to the comment that said this opens up the world for US sellers!

I would say it's the opposite, the seller has alienated the international user base because of the insipid global shipping program.  I have seen so many items I would have liked to have bought but refused to because of the ***** shipping and the absurd costs.

I have not bought a single item from the US via ebay in many years now for the sole reason of the global shipping program. I limit my searches to the EU and other countries, the global shipping infection seems mainly limited to the US in my experience.

The GSP has ruined large parts of ebay!!!

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Hello Everyone,

Due to the age of the thread, it has been closed to further replies.  Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thanks for understanding!

-----------------------------------------
Help us keep the community friendly and fun for everyone, check out the Guidelines
Message 7 of 7
latest reply