Seller wants item back after case closed

So seller sold me a guitar that wasn’t in the condition it was described, I requested for a return and refund, he was supposed to give me a return label and never did. A week went by with excuses and how he couldn’t get a return label, had to get eBay involved and they gave him another week. Still nothing so they refunded me and said I can keep the item, the seller reached out and asked if I can return the item to him after I get my refund, he said he would cover the shipping after I send it back. What do I do?
Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Send it back!

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

The right thing to do is to send end it back obviously lol.  If you keep it; the seller loses a guitar and gets no money is that even remotely fair to the seller?  You got your money back so you can buy another one.  

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

It’s going to cost me around $120 in shipping to return it. (International ) I don’t trust the seller will reimburse me at this point.
Message 4 of 10
latest reply

You ask the Seller to provide you with the funds to buy the return shipping label, if he wants it back he will...

If he does not want to upfront the return shipping costs, then keep the item.

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

He refuses to give me the funds up front or to provide a shipping label. He said he will reimburse me once the item is in his possession which I call bs. Looks like I’m going to keep the item
Message 6 of 10
latest reply

I agree, keep the item.

If they are unwilling to cooperate with you, it confirms that they did cooperate with eBay also, AND block them as I suspect they will continue to contact you.

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Give the seller the cost for Shipping and Handling - which is any packaging you have to use if his own is not useable.

He can Paypal you the cost BEFORE you return it.     

It is perfectly possible to send return shipping labels between Canada and the USA or to ask eBay to make the arrangement. You are right to be cautious.  No need to be paranoid, but be cautious.                                                                                                        

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

As others have said, it's the seller's responsibility to either provide you a label or provide you the funds to purchase it yourself. I'm pretty sure they should be able to do so via Shippo assuming they can't use the Canada Post website directly (they might be able to?).  The seller has already (apparently) sent you something where they've been dishonest in the way they listed it. There's no way I would trust them to give you the return shipping funds AFTER they received it back.

If they just won't do either of those things, just keep it. They're the ones acting in a dishonest fashion, not you. Or if you feel especially nice and they continue not to work with you on a solution, you could sell it locally and send them the proceeds.

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

For clarity, these are the rules for Sellers in regards to handing returns and what happens when the Seller is responsible for the return shipping costs as the item was not as described, as was the instance in this situation.

The Seller had plenty of options to get the item back, the fact that eBay had to rectify the situation I think sums up this story.

https://www.ebay.ca/help/selling/managing-returns-refunds/return-shipping-sellers?id=4703#section5

Who pays for return shipping – you or the buyer – depends on the reason they're returning the item and your return policy.

If the buyer is sending an item back because it doesn't match the listing description or it arrived damaged or faulty, you're responsible for the cost of return shipping even if you don't offer returns.

If they simply changed their mind or ordered the wrong item, who pays for return shipping is determined by your return policy. If you stated you offer free returns, you'll have to pay, otherwise you can ask the buyer to cover the cost.

Offer to send funds for the return shipping cost

Use the shipping calculator on the carrier's website to find out how much return shipping will cost. If you're unable to determine the cost, contact the buyer and ask them to provide a quote.

Ensure that the amount includes tracking, and on items that have a total cost of $750 or more, include signature confirmation.

Here's how to send funds to the buyer:

1. Contact the buyer through Messages, and ask how they would like to receive funds to purchase a return label.
  2. Send the funds using the buyer's preferred method.
  3. Ask the buyer to confirm that they've received the funds, and to upload tracking to the return request so you can see that the item is on it’s way.
Message 10 of 10
latest reply