Taking a loss on shipping AGAIN......

I have sold an item on eBay for 10.50 US, and even though I request in my listing that buyers and bidders contact me ahead of time for the actual cost of shipping, once again, the buyer just went ahead and sent me the amount that the calculator said is due.  When I went to get the actual shipping of the package, it's going to cost me $2.50 over what was sent.

do I contact the buyer and request the extra cost, or do I just eat it?  If that's the case, I think it's time I quit selling online.  The shipping and underpayments are not worth it.

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Re: Taking a loss on shipping AGAIN......

From time to time I end up paying much more than  I charge the customer, but I eat it.  I think it's not worth the hassle or risking a negative feedback.

I never use the shipping calculator, I usually average what it would cost me and put a flat rate, sometimes it ends up costing less and sometimes more depending on which part of the country it's going.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

The buyers should not have to ask you for an invoice for shipping, that is why their is shipping available in the listing. Plus, there are many times when a buyer cannot purchase an item unless they pay for it immediately so getting an invoice isn't an option.

The buyer purchased the item based on the shipping information that was in the listing so no, you can't ask the buyer for more money for shipping. However, you shouldn't be having a problem with the shipping giving the incorrect price as long as the correct info has been entered. correctly.  If you are having a problem someone here might be able to help.

Was this for the butterfly? What info did you enter into the calculator and why do you think that you will have to pay more now?If the shipping is to Canada, you can use paypal to print expedited shipping and you will save a couple of dollars that way.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Feedback? I consider myself lucky when I get any feedback at all, even when I have gently reminded the buyer.  I sold two items a few weeks ago....got feedback from the newer eBayer, and nothing from the one who had multiple sales and purchases. 

And I have tried to NOT use the calculator.  But I have never been able to get the form completed, so have reluctantly gone along with all their requirements.  If, and when, I decide to list something else, I'll enter in exaggerated sizes and weights, and then reimburse the buyer for overpayment of shipping.  I've always paid back overage on shipping. 

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Almost every item I've bought on eBay, I've checked with the seller on the actual cost of shipping to my area....no surprises that way. Most often, if the item is coming from the US, the cost of shipping is sky-high because Priority is quoted. Always, I have received a polite reply, and a much more reasonable shipping quote.

Yes, this was for the framed butterfly. When I went to prepare the item for shipping, I thought the box looked a little too small for the glassed frame, so did opt for a slightly larger box to ensure it arrives at it's destination (New York) safely. For this, I will lose on shipping.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

When I went to prepare the item for shipping, I thought the box looked a little too small for the glassed frame, so did opt for a slightly larger box to ensure it arrives at it's destination (New York) safely.

So the calculator was right for the dimensions and weight you entered, but not for the dimensions and weight that you used.

And this is the fault of whom, again?

The differences with rates come with tiny increments. A 250 gram Small Packet Air USA will move for $8.03. A 251 gram Small Packet Air USA costs $10.66. Mind you the latter rate also applies up to 500 grams.

Are you using Paypal labels?

You get a discount of between 5% and 18% on many parcel rates when you ship through PP. The Calculated Shipping will show to your customer as the Canada Post counter rate. You can do what you like about the difference.

Oh and use metric. Canada Post went metric in 1974 and any other system results in guesswork, estimates and errors.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

And I have tried to NOT use the calculator.  But I have never been able to get the form completed, so have reluctantly gone along with all their requirements.  If, and when, I decide to list something else, I'll enter in exaggerated sizes and weights, and then reimburse the buyer for overpayment of shipping.  I've always paid back overage on shipping.

It makes more sense to know what size of box you are going to ship an item in  and then charge the right amount rather than charge too little or too much. You don't recover your fees from ebay if you give a partial refund, plus a buyer may decide not to buy if shipping seems to be too expensive. The calculator works but you have to do a little homework first.

As far as not being able to use flat rate shipping...that doesn't work well for everyone or for all items...especially within Canada.   But you should be able to use it if you want to.  When you fill out the form are you changing the drop down box under shipping details to flat: same cost to all buyers? 

Message 7 of 7
latest reply