The package is seized and abandoned by the customs, but still received a bill from UPS

jimzqw
Community Member

I purchased some designer handbags from another country, the package is never released by customs.

I already received the mail from the U.S. customs last month, saying my package is seized and will be abandoned. Then I received a bill from UPS, requesting thousands of dollars for custom fees and brokerage fees. Should I pay? for receiving nothing?

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

The package is seized and abandoned by the customs, but still received a bill from UPS

marnotom!
Community Member
You’ve found yourself on the Canadian eBay discussion boards. Since you’re from the United States, you’d be better off posting to one of the eBay.com discussion boards. I don’t think too many of us here are going to know much about the relationship between UPS and CBP.
Message 2 of 7
latest reply

jimzqw
Community Member

thank you!

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

FWIW-- it is the responsibility of the importer (in this case the OP) to know whether his imports can be brought into the country.

At a guess, these were seized as counterfeits.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

File an ... Item Not Received Claim...

Seller must refund the buyer.....

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Definitely worth trying-- but the Dispute may fail as being to an Undeliverable address- since the shipment could not legally be imported.

But try anyway.

They can't say yes, if you don't ask.

Also- you are covered by Paypal for up to 180 days from purchase and if you back your PP account with a credit card you may also be eligible for a chargeback.

If your seller was shipping you counterfeits (replicas, hommages, knockoffs) you have a better case if you thought you were buying the real thing.

And also there is VeRO, many high end pursemakers do not allow their products to be sold online except through authorized sellers.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member

I suspect the OP has abandoned this thread in favour of the one they started on the .com discussion boards, but there's also this point in the MBG that non-receipt claims for items that didn't clear customs because customs fees weren't paid aren't covered:

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy...

That said, depending on how it's handled, if the handbags are indeed counterfeit and considered to be misrepresented as genuine, that condition may well be overlooked.

But I do find it interesting that the OP is concerned about paying fees to UPS for something they don't have but doesn't seem to be so bothered by their payment to the seller.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply