US shipping Tracked Package and Small Package not Options for Shipping services ?

I would like to offer Tracked Package as a shipping option on a listing, but they are not showing as options.  My package is 29cm x 21cm x41cm and weighs 1.5Kg, I think that it should be an option.  Am I doing something wrong ? 

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

US shipping Tracked Package and Small Package not Options for Shipping services ?

I assume you mean tracked packet. The maximum dimensions length+width+height can't exceed 90cm. Yours are 91cm. I don't know if that's why it's not showing, but I assume it probably is.

https://www.canadapost-postescanada.ca/cpc/en/support/articles/parcel-services-us-international/size...

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

@flipistics wrote:

I assume you mean tracked packet. The maximum dimensions length+width+height can't exceed 90cm. Yours are 91cm. I don't know if that's why it's not showing, but I assume it probably is.

https://www.canadapost-postescanada.ca/cpc/en/support/articles/parcel-services-us-international/size...

@flipistics 

I just went to process a parcel using eBay labels and this message appeared before creating the label.

lotzofuniquegoodies_0-1685330027293.png

According to the formula used at Canada post dimensional weight  should be length x width x height (cm) divided by 6000. (tracked/small packet)

lotzofuniquegoodies_1-1685330411109.png

21 x 17 x 12 = 4284 / 6000 would be .714 which would be way under 2 kg. Actual weight is 1.77

If you are using eBay Labels it is super important to make sure your measurements are accurate. Taking into consideration rounding up. 

-Lotz

Observation # 2.

eBay labels savings stated 9% for small packet air / 12 % for USA tracked

as per CP Level 4(CP Wbsite)...9 % for small packet air/up to 45 % for USA tracked

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

@mags_finds wrote:

I would like to offer Tracked Package as a shipping option on a listing, but they are not showing as options.  My package is 29cm x 21cm x41cm and weighs 1.5Kg, I think that it should be an option.  Am I doing something wrong ? 

For anyone in this situation you can often (not always) resize the box. Easy videos attached. Even a cm or 2 can make a major difference in final package rate and available shipping options. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLbQI4rWvek

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oc7eXEVDT58

-Lotz

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

AFAIK tracked packet and small packet do not used dimensional weight.  Where do you see that they use 6000 as a factor to figure out dimensional weight?  

Expedied and Xpresspost use 5000 as a divisor.

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

See warning message that is noted at the top of my previous message. Parcel measurements were nowhere close to maximums. I've never seen anything similar when using Shippo/CP to create labels. 

Parcel measured: 210 x 170 x 120 mm = 500 mm

According to the CP page

lotzofuniquegoodies_0-1685348956792.png

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

I've run into this a couple of times if length of my package is over 40 cm (you have 41 as one- that's same as mine was!)

I usually sell smaller size items (Barbies) but the few times I've had to send a long case or speciallty box that put it over 40 I had to send with Expedited Parcel US (I usually use Tracked Package but it was not an option).

I just went to Canada Post site and plugged in your dimensions and it gave Expedited Parcel US as cheapest, if you change the number down to 40 (from 41) it then shows Tracked Package.

It's a shame since there is quite a jump in price from Tracked to Expedited USA but I tried had calculated shipping set up and my buyer(s) have been okay with it (well they bought it anyways and left positive feedback). I had thought no one from US would pay that much it would probably go to someone in Canada but it stil went to US buyers the few times in last year I've used it.

As lotz has suggested if you can get the packaging down that one cm it makes a big difference (in my case I couldn't).

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

The warning says nothing about dimensional weight. Tracked/small packet do not use dimensional weight.  As @msau4301 mentioned, the op's dimensions were more than the 90cm allowed for those services so that is likely the problem.

With your package, carrier limits could mean that at 1.77 kgs your package is almost  at the 2kg Tracked Packet weight limit or that at 79cm it is near the 90cm limit.  It is odd the the warning mentions 'carrier' limits instead of saying that the package is close to the TP service limits.  

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

Maybe it was just a coincidence then but when I went to do my listing up it wouldn't allow for Tracked Package (my regular shipping policy to the US) so I had to go to special shipping policy I had created years back when I ran into similar problem and I called it "Larger box shipping", this was when only Expedited US was allowed due to sizing. I went to Canada Post site and tried my package size in there and it showed me Expedited Package with 41" and for fun I plugged in 40" and it showed Tracked Package rate also. The weight wasn't a factor, at least not in my case as I had the same weight entered and only changed one dimension by one inch. I can't remember the other dimensions now but I do remember the 41" because I was mad the one inch made the difference! Just a coincidence then.

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

@msau4301 wrote:

Maybe it was just a coincidence then but when I went to do my listing up it wouldn't allow for Tracked Package (my regular shipping policy to the US) so I had to go to special shipping policy I had created years back when I ran into similar problem and I called it "Larger box shipping", this was when only Expedited US was allowed due to sizing. I went to Canada Post site and tried my package size in there and it showed me Expedited Package with 41" and for fun I plugged in 40" and it showed Tracked Package rate also. The weight wasn't a factor, at least not in my case as I had the same weight entered and only changed one dimension by one inch. I can't remember the other dimensions now but I do remember the 41" because I was mad the one inch made the difference! Just a coincidence then.

Over the last 5 or 6 years I have created over 1000 labels with Shippo. I have never seen that error message. I just started using eBay Labels (with extreme trepidation) about 2 weeks ago. This was the first time I saw that particular error message. Definitely something eBay Labels related. The parcel that gave me the error message was slightly bigger than the palm of my hand so definitely not oversized.

-Lotz

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

Oops, in post 8 I meant to refer to @flipistics post as they were the one who referred to being over the max. 90 cm for tracked and small packet. 

In your case that might have been the problem as well. There is no 40cm max.rule  for any one side of the parcel but if your length + width + heights totaled more than 91cm, changing one side to 40 cm would allow you to use those services.

If anyone is internested the url for the max and min weights for US and International CP services is:

Message 11 of 11
latest reply