When is the shipping cost considered excessive?

I purchased (won auction) a home stereo component CD changer for US $60. The shipping cost was listed as US $66.20. Before I started bidding I asked the seller if there was a less expensive shipping option. Their reply was, "Sorry, unfortunately there are no longer any less expensive options to Canada since USPS stopped ground service. UPS rates are very high unless you are a large company account with discounted rates."  (exact words). I went ahead and bid and subsequently won, and paid. When it arrived I looked carefully at the shipping label and saw that it only cost US $46.62 to ship. That's 29.58% less than the cost listed and what I paid. It was shipped via USPS Priority Mail International. At what point is it considered excessive, where is the line drawn?  To me, paying 29.58% more than what it actually cost seems excessive. Is it worth my time to try and ask the seller if they will refund the difference?  If they refuse to do so, what are my chances with making an excessive shipping cost complaint to  ebay?  Yes, I realize that by bidding I agreed to the stated cost, but sellers have the responsibility to state accurate costs, do they not? And those costs should be all inclusive, correct? By the way, this was not shipped using the Global shipping Program. I only mention this because I was expecting to pay duty and taxes when it arrived, (and had included it in the overall total cost), but was a bit surprised when there were none. But I'm still prepared for a bill from Customs to be coming later. I also went to the .com site and used the shipping calculator to basically confirm the US $66.20 cost. But I also saw a UPS Standard cost for US $58.26, if I recall correctly.  The bottom line is this, is what I paid (29.58% more than actual cost) considered excessive? Should I make an excessive shipping cost complaint to ebay if seller refuses to refund the difference?  I think I have quite a while to think about this but would like to get it done ASAP. So hopefully someone will see this and respond soon.

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Is it worth my time to try and ask the seller if they will refund the difference? 

I usually tell people their time is worth 18 cents a minute -- the ON minimum wage.

How many minutes are you will to spend on this?

If they refuse to do so, what are my chances with making an excessive shipping cost complaint

While I agree that a $20 markup may be rather high, I doubt that either eBay or Paypal would back you in a complaint.

The main reason is that you asked about shipping before bidding and when you were told their fee was firm, you bid anyway and paid.

Remember too, that postage is only part of the Shipping and Handling fee. Unseen costs may be packaging or  insurance or -- well, I can't think of any others.

I was expecting to pay duty and taxes when it arrived, (and had included it in the overall total cost), but was a bit surprised when there were none.

You were expecting to pay even more than you willingly/grudgingly paid. So I guess you got a good deal on the item no matter what the S&H and border fees would have been?

You can leave appropriate feedback. You can also leave Detailed Seller Ratings.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Want to clarify my numbers in the first post, everything else remains the same.

Difference between actual shipping cost and what I paid:   US $46.62 (actual),  US $66.20 (what I paid), Percentage increase from

$46.62 to $66.20 is 42%.

Referenced to $66.20, the difference is 29.58%

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Is it worth my time to try and ask the seller if they will refund the difference? 

I usually tell people their time is worth 18 cents a minute -- the ON minimum wage.

How many minutes are you will to spend on this?

If they refuse to do so, what are my chances with making an excessive shipping cost complaint

While I agree that a $20 markup may be rather high, I doubt that either eBay or Paypal would back you in a complaint.

The main reason is that you asked about shipping before bidding and when you were told their fee was firm, you bid anyway and paid.

Remember too, that postage is only part of the Shipping and Handling fee. Unseen costs may be packaging or  insurance or -- well, I can't think of any others.

I was expecting to pay duty and taxes when it arrived, (and had included it in the overall total cost), but was a bit surprised when there were none.

You were expecting to pay even more than you willingly/grudgingly paid. So I guess you got a good deal on the item no matter what the S&H and border fees would have been?

You can leave appropriate feedback. You can also leave Detailed Seller Ratings.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Thank you for a quick response.  As for the question - point taken. I'll let the issue go and consider myself lucky if there are no duties & taxes to be paid at a later date. It's always good to have someone make you take a broader look at things.  Thank you.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

To be honest, I might be a little irked too at the difference which is probably why I never look. lol 

But as you already said, you agreed to that price when you made the purchase. I suspect that the seller used the USPS prices when they did the listing but received a discount when they actually purchased the label. They may not have known exactly what that discount would be.

Regarding UPS - If the seller had sent the item via UPS you absolutely would have had to pay taxes, duty plus a couple of other fees that many couriers tack onto the total.

Message 5 of 5
latest reply