Why are prices in Canadian dollars. Is EBAY a Canadian company now ?

1metehan
Community Member

Why Canadian Dollars for the prices ?

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

marnotom!
Community Member

Because you’re on the eBay Canada site, eBay.ca. If you were on the eBay UK site, you’d see prices in pounds sterling (GBP / £).  If you were in the Australian eBay site, prices would be in Australian dollars.  And so on and forth.

Redirect your browser to eBay.com to see prices in US dollars.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

It was in 2003 that a Canadian seller could list in US dollars on eBay.com (eBay US).  All listings for all sellers on eBay were in an auction format.

Then came the year when eBay added fixed price listings to eBay.com.  Fixed price listings were kept separate from auction listings.  Auction listings were considered the primary option for sellers on eBay.    Potential buyers could do  a search,  auction listings OR fixed price listings.

eBay then chose to have the auction and fixed price listings together on eBay.com.  When a search was done there was no separation of auction and fixed price listings.   Eventually almost all sellers chose to list on eBay using the fixed price format.  Sellers were very selective with respect to using the auction format

Canadian sellers continued to list on eBay.com in US dollars.

Then an eBay Canada site was set up and Canadian sellers could sell in Canadian dollars on eBay.ca  and in US dollars on eBay.com. 

The most interesting action by eBay was in relation to store subscription fees and the amount charged.  The dollar value was the same... BUT on eBay.com  the amount was in US dollars,  and the same value but in Canadian dollars on eBay.ca.  Today  for an Anchor store the monthly fee  is $299.95 US dollars on  eBay.com  and $299.95 Canadian dollars on eBay.ca.

Today Canadian sellers can sell in Canadian dollars on eBay.ca  and US dollars on eBay.com.

eBay  has also established a physical presence, an eBay office,  in Canada,  making eBay a Canadian company.  As a Canadian company eBay now must collect GST/HST on all fees paid by Canadian sellers on eBay.ca, and remit that collection of GST/HST  to the Canada Revenue Agency.

This all occured in the years after 2003.  This is the eBay we  know today...

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Any eBay member can sell on any eBay site.

I have listings here on dotCA in loonies and on dotCOM in USD.

From time to time I have listed on dotFR in euros, on dotCOdotUK in sterling, and in Australian dollars in the Australian site.

Currently, with the arrival of Managed Payments, sellers must have one bank account per eBay account and that one must be a chequing account with a Canadian bank.

However, the bank account does not have to be in loonies.

If the seller gets most payments in USD, she can set up a Canadian bank account in USD.  (or in euros or sterling-- if her bank allows it.)

But basically, you've wandered across the border. You can see prices in Canadian dollars (loonies) here, and prices of Canadian listings back home on dotCOM in both loonies and USD.

But you are very welcome to visit.

Have a nanaimo bar--

nanaimo bars.jpg

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Any eBay member can sell on any eBay site.

I have listings here on dotCA in loonies and on dotCOM in USD.

From time to time I have listed on dotFR in euros, on dotCOdotUK in sterling, and in Australian dollars in the Australian site.

Just for my own information, i know a lot doing it so whats the point of doing this? Don't if you list on .ca and offer US shipping, people see your listing anyway on the .com?

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Everyone in the world understands the American dollar. Our friends down south often understand nothing else.

Which is why I tend to refer to our currency as "loonies" when posting on dotCOM.

While it is true that if you offer shipping to a country, nationals there will see both the currency of the lister and their own, the US site does offer some advantages, particularly if you don't need to ship parcel rate.

And I believe that a listing on dotCOM will get slightly higher positioning in a "Best Match" Search there than a "foreign" listing.

There are also drawbacks, but that's another question.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

@rocketscollectibles wrote:

Just for my own information, i know a lot doing it so whats the point of doing this? Don't if you list on .ca and offer US shipping, people see your listing anyway on the .com?

One advantage (if you don't have enough free listings), is that a seller can have free listings on both .CA and .COM -- and the counters are separate for both sites.

This month (as someone in MP) as a non-store I have 250 free listings on ebay.COM and 200 free listings on ebay.CA -- plus the 100000 promotional free offer which makes this advantage disappear.

Before MP,  there was also the advantage of getting paid through paypal in US$ and Cdn$ -- and using those funds without conversions to make purchases.

-;-

Message 7 of 7
latest reply