December 10th 2014 Weekly Board Hour

Hello Canadian eBayers,

We are back at our regular schedule this week. Please start posting at your convenience, we will join you at 1 PM Eastern.

Message 1 of 42
latest reply
41 REPLIES 41

Sell Your Item drafts option.

How many drafts can you have. Online help says you can only have 5 drafts

Check this eBay.ca help page

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/sell/unfinishedlisting.html

Here on eBay.com help page

http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/unfinishedlisting.html

Both have the same wording shown below

Regardless of where you started your listing, you can access your draft either on your home computer or on your mobile device.

• You can have up to 5 drafts at a time.
  • If you add a draft after reaching the limit of 5, your oldest draft will be dropped from the list.
  • If more than 30 days have passed since the last time you edited a draft, it will be dropped from the list.
  • You can delete a draft at any time by clicking the Delete link in the draft list.

Yet I Have had more than 5 drafts a few times.

Is it because I have Selling Manager (basic version) subscription? The 2014 Fall Seller Update introduced drafts feature for thousands of listings.

http://pages.ebay.ca/sellerinformation/news/fallupdate2014/all-in-one-tools-details.html#highlights

Highlights
        Create listings—from drafts or from scratch. Draft listings allow you to work with multiple listings in phases. You can now create multiple drafts with just titles and descriptions, and then save the drafts for someone else to add photos. Save thousands of drafts and revisit them for up to 30 days, when it's convenient for you—or a co-worker—to continue working on them.
        You’ll also be able to—instead of one-at-a-time—create new listings in bulk. This functionality—available to some sellers now, and all sellers later this year—is perfect for sellers who have lots of similar items to sell, but no current listings to copy from.

If so, help pages should be updated to state that non-selling Manager users can only have 5 drafts and SM users have more.

Message 2 of 42
latest reply

Hi Raphael, 

Can you confirm whether there are any penalties/punishments/seller downgrades associated with ending fixed price (including GTC) listings?  By ending, I mean a seller closing off the listing without a sale. 

I realize eBay's policy on this is clear where auction listings are concerned, but I couldn't find any specific policy on fixed price listings.  

Some sellers believe (including me) that if you end too many FP listings, it could affect seller status.  Any time when I've ended a FP listing early, I've had to provide a reason - usually I choose "there was an error in the listing".  My assumption from this prompted answer was that too much of this behaviour would end in some sort of punishment from eBay, whether mild or serious no one seems to know.  Other sellers have said there is no limit on ending FP listings early, as they often end all their FP listings before going on holiday, etc.  

I'd appreciate it very much if you could clarify eBay's policy on this, also whether there is any difference if you're a store or a non-store seller in this regard.  Thanks! 

Message 3 of 42
latest reply

In Selling Manager pages, there is an option on the top right "Send us your comments". Whenever I click on that option, it opens up Internet Explorer and gives an error message. Why?

The message says "The website cannot display the page" and the URL is trying to open my Hotmail email account with a long parameter string attached.

It does not matter if I use eBay.ca or eBay.com nor does it matter if I use Selling Manage Drafts view or Active Listing view or whatever view with the Send us your comments link in the top right of the page.

I use FireFox browser and click on the comments link in FireFox so why is it opening Internet Explorer?

I am running old Windows XP which has IE 8 as its highest version supported. Both Windows XP and IE 8 are at updated to the latest available updates and fixes. IE 8 is old and has some issues with eBay so I stopped using it 2+ years ago.

PS Any other forum readers successfully tried the Send us you comments link? Is it defect for all or just my software setup?

Message 4 of 42
latest reply

OK, I have to ask before someone else does: What's up with the "free relist" feature?  

A few months ago, that little yellow box appeared on the SYI (or relisting) form; first it was 3x-free relist, then it was 2x, then 1x, now it says automatic relist and fees may apply.  

Is this shape-shifting feature accidental, experimental, or (as Mrs. Patmore of Downton Abbey would say) just the sprat to catch the mackerel, i.e. another blandishment to entice non-store owners into store ownership with its free listings?  If the latter, why can't eBay just be honest about it?  

Whatever the explanation for this oddity, I'm getting a little tired of carrots dangling in the wind and then being snatched away -- now you see it --- whoops, sorry!  It's confusing and feels just a little sly on the part of eBay. 

Message 5 of 42
latest reply

@pocomocomputing wrote:

Regardless of where you started your listing, you can access your draft either on your home computer or on your mobile device.

• If you add a draft after reaching the limit of 5, your oldest draft will be dropped from the list.
  • If more than 30 days have passed since the last time you edited a draft, it will be dropped from the list.
  • You can delete a draft at any time by clicking the Delete link in the draft list.

Is it because I have Selling Manager (basic version) subscription? The 2014 Fall Seller Update introduced drafts feature for thousands of listings.

http://pages.ebay.ca/sellerinformation/news/fallupdate2014/all-in-one-tools-details.html#highlights

Highlights
        Create listings—from drafts or from scratch. Draft listings allow you to work with multiple listings in phases. You can now create multiple drafts with just titles and descriptions, and then save the drafts for someone else to add photos. Save thousands of drafts and revisit them for up to 30 days, when it's convenient for you—or a co-worker—to continue working on them.
        You’ll also be able to—instead of one-at-a-time—create new listings in bulk. This functionality—available to some sellers now, and all sellers later this year—is perfect for sellers who have lots of similar items to sell, but no current listings to copy from.

If so, help pages should be updated to state that non-selling Manager users can only have 5 drafts and SM users have more.

Hi pocomocomputing,

Great catch. You got it right: it's a difference between draft listings for casual sellers and those who use Selling Manager. The latter is required to unlock the Drafts container in My eBay be able to create as many drafts as you want. Casual sellers, on the other hand, will continue to only see up to 5 drafts at the beginning of the Sell flow.

I'll work with the content team to get these help pages updated with that distinction. 

Message 6 of 42
latest reply

@rose-dee wrote:

Hi Raphael, 

Can you confirm whether there are any penalties/punishments/seller downgrades associated with ending fixed price (including GTC) listings?  By ending, I mean a seller closing off the listing without a sale. 

I realize eBay's policy on this is clear where auction listings are concerned, but I couldn't find any specific policy on fixed price listings.  

Some sellers believe (including me) that if you end too many FP listings, it could affect seller status.  Any time when I've ended a FP listing early, I've had to provide a reason - usually I choose "there was an error in the listing".  My assumption from this prompted answer was that too much of this behaviour would end in some sort of punishment from eBay, whether mild or serious no one seems to know.  Other sellers have said there is no limit on ending FP listings early, as they often end all their FP listings before going on holiday, etc.  

I'd appreciate it very much if you could clarify eBay's policy on this, also whether there is any difference if you're a store or a non-store seller in this regard.  Thanks! 

Hi rose-dee,

As far as I know there are no penalties for ending FP listings early. Since there is no transaction unless someone hits Buy It Now, there is no harm to any buyers by ending a BIN listing, as opposed to canceling all bids on an already running auction. Also, there would be no difference whether the seller has a store or not.

Side note, there is now a way to put a multi-quantity FP listing in "out of stock" mode rather than to end it and lose all sales history, for example if the seller is waiting to restock. Watch for the announcement to that effect really soon.

Message 7 of 42
latest reply

@pocomocomputing wrote:

In Selling Manager pages, there is an option on the top right "Send us your comments". Whenever I click on that option, it opens up Internet Explorer and gives an error message. Why?

The message says "The website cannot display the page" and the URL is trying to open my Hotmail email account with a long parameter string attached.

It does not matter if I use eBay.ca or eBay.com nor does it matter if I use Selling Manage Drafts view or Active Listing view or whatever view with the Send us your comments link in the top right of the page.

I use FireFox browser and click on the comments link in FireFox so why is it opening Internet Explorer?

I am running old Windows XP which has IE 8 as its highest version supported. Both Windows XP and IE 8 are at updated to the latest available updates and fixes. IE 8 is old and has some issues with eBay so I stopped using it 2+ years ago.

PS Any other forum readers successfully tried the Send us you comments link? Is it defect for all or just my software setup?

Thanks for flagging this. I don't know why this isn't working of how come it's opening IE on your machine. That last part is rather puzzling I'll agree 🙂

I'll figure out who we can send this to internally.

Message 8 of 42
latest reply

raphael@ebay.com wrote:

Side note, there is now a way to put a multi-quantity FP listing in "out of stock" mode rather than to end it and lose all sales history, for example if the seller is waiting to restock. Watch for the announcement to that effect really soon.

That would be an excellent feature to have available!  I sell a number of multiple-quantity items and I can't recall how many times I've sold the last item and dropped off all watchers and sales history.  I believe it can help, as both an incentive and comfort level, for buyers to see that an item has had previous sales.  

Message 9 of 42
latest reply

raphael@ebay.com wrote:

As far as I know there are no penalties for ending FP listings early. Since there is no transaction unless someone hits Buy It Now, there is no harm to any buyers by ending a BIN listing, as opposed to canceling all bids on an already running auction. Also, there would be no difference whether the seller has a store or not.

Thanks very much for clarifying this.  I've avoided ending some listings even though I wanted to make a change (e.g. in duration) that isn't permitted in revising a listing.  I won't be so worried now.  Thanks! 

Message 10 of 42
latest reply

@rose-dee wrote:

OK, I have to ask before someone else does: What's up with the "free relist" feature?  

A few months ago, that little yellow box appeared on the SYI (or relisting) form; first it was 3x-free relist, then it was 2x, then 1x, now it says automatic relist and fees may apply.  

Is this shape-shifting feature accidental, experimental, or (as Mrs. Patmore of Downton Abbey would say) just the sprat to catch the mackerel, i.e. another blandishment to entice non-store owners into store ownership with its free listings?  If the latter, why can't eBay just be honest about it?  

Whatever the explanation for this oddity, I'm getting a little tired of carrots dangling in the wind and then being snatched away -- now you see it --- whoops, sorry!  It's confusing and feels just a little sly on the part of eBay. 

In short, the Auto Relist feature didn't exactly turn out to yield the expected results, and adjustments were made to correct the course.

Without going in too much detail, instead of helping items sell more easily, AR created a situation where an overwhelming amount of items that nobody wanted to buy saturated search in some categories. As a result, buyers bought less since it became more difficult for them to find what they were looking for. By restricting the feature, we are encouraging sellers to be more discerning with what items they are offering.

There are more changes coming to Auto Relist in the new year, which will greatly help guide sellers in identifying what items are attractive to buyers and how to improve their general offer.

Message 11 of 42
latest reply

Sorry, another question that's occurred to me (since it seems it's just we three here today): Has there been any further update on the cart disconnect problem? 

Message 12 of 42
latest reply

From the .com announcement board

http://announcements.ebay.com/2014/12/sellers-extra-protection-now-available-when-you-ship-to-34-cou...

Sellers: Extra protection now available when you ship to 34 countries worldwide - See more at: http://announcements.ebay.com/2014/12/sellers-extra-protection-now-available-when-you-ship-to-34-cou...

Sellers: Extra protection now available when you ship to 34 countries worldwide - See more at: http://announcements.ebay.com/2014/12/sellers-extra-protection-now-available-when-you-ship-to-34-cou...

Will this be all listings on .com, just for U.S. sellers or....?

Message 13 of 42
latest reply

@rose-dee wrote:
That would be an excellent feature to have available!  I sell a number of multiple-quantity items and I can't recall how many times I've sold the last item and dropped off all watchers and sales history.  I believe it can help, as both an incentive and comfort level, for buyers to see that an item has had previous sales.  

Having sales accumulating on multi-quantity FP listings is highly desirable and will place you better in search results. 

The feature is already live BTW. Here is how to set it up:

1. Go to My eBay > Account > Site Preferences
  2. Under “Selling Preferences,” click “Show” next to Sell Your Item form and listings
  3. Click “Edit” next to “Use the out-of-stock option”
  4. Select the checkbox, then click “Apply”
Message 14 of 42
latest reply

I received the announcement in the mail last night and it is already posted on .com.

Announcement

Message 15 of 42
latest reply

raphael@ebay.com wrote:

Having sales accumulating on multi-quantity FP listings is highly desirable and will place you better in search results. 

The feature is already live BTW. Here is how to set it up:

1. Go to My eBay > Account > Site Preferences
  2. Under “Selling Preferences,” click “Show” next to Sell Your Item form and listings
  3. Click “Edit” next to “Use the out-of-stock option”
  4. Select the checkbox, then click “Apply”

Aha!  Thank you!  Maybe this explains, in part at least, why sales on my multi-quantity items have almost died.  

I will definitely check into this and use it if it's available to me.  

Message 16 of 42
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

From the .com announcement board

http://announcements.ebay.com/2014/12/sellers-extra-protection-now-available-when-you-ship-to-34-cou...

Will this be all listings on .com, just for U.S. sellers or....?

Hi pjcdn2005,

Unfortunately this is only for US sellers. These measures are in place to protect their performance standards against defects coming from sales they make via GSP.

Message 17 of 42
latest reply

This change sounds good.  I have been frustrated as a buyer in the past because of purchases from listings on which the items were out of stock and the listing remained up and running.  But I see you have to opt into it so it will only hide those listings if sellers choose that feature in their Preferences. 

Message 18 of 42
latest reply

@rose-dee wrote:

Sorry, another question that's occurred to me (since it seems it's just we three here today): Has there been any further update on the cart disconnect problem? 

The situation remains the same for now.

Message 19 of 42
latest reply

@pocomocomputing wrote:

Highlights

Hi pocomocomputing,

I added a clarifying message to the help page. It will be live later tonight.

Thanks,

Ryanne

Message 20 of 42
latest reply