February 25th 2014 Weekly Board Hour

Hello Canadian eBayers,

Welcome to our weekly chat. You can go ahead and start posting at your convenience, we will join you at 1 PM Eastern.

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Good morning.

I know you guys in Toronto try to avoid dealing with the Global Shipping Program (GSP) questions.  Nobody in Toronto ever wants to deal with those questions.  However, sometimes it is important and relevant to the Canadian eBay community to get real, accurate and clear answers to some questions.  If you gals and guys in Toronto do not know the answers, you should know where to get them.

A few days ago, a Canadian buyer posted on the GSP thread:

"Pitney Bowes DOES NOT remit the impot fees they collect to Rev Canada or CBSA from eBay. I called Pitney Bowes and they informed me that eBay collects, disburses and sets the fees. "

Now, this is pretty clear.  Staffers at Pitney Bowes (USA) tell Canadians that they do not collect nor remit GST/HST (and duty if applicable) to the Canadian government.

The information posted by eBay.com indicates it does.

"Pitney Bowes will:

(C) account for and pay the assessed import duties and other taxes due upon importation of the GSP Item, each on your behalf,

....etc..."

It can only be one or the other.

So the question today requires a simple YES or NO.

Does Pitney Bowes and/or its agents actually collect and remit the GST/HST (and duty if applicable) collected from Canadian buyers on eBay and paid through PayPal to the Canadian government?

If the answer is YES as I expect, why would the staff at Pitney Bowes not know about it?

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

What happened to the print option on an item listing page?

When you clicked on it, you would get an eBay print page that allowed you to select different parts of the listing (four different section like description, picture, and so on).

See this topic in the forums today.

http://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Central/PRINT-button/m-p/295146

Posted by bookelph

PRINT  button on the item page seems to have disappeared

(it used to be on the right side of the page, just across from the DESCRIPTION and SHIPPING buttons, and beside REPORT ITEM.)

Checked on .com and .ca.. maybe I'm blind, but I can't see it if they've moved it.

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

How does Global TRS rules apply for 20% discount for sellers listing on eBay.ca but located outside of Canada?

For example, this seller is located in South Korea and posted this recent topic

http://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Central/Why-don-t-I-get-a-seller-discount/m-p/295028

What eBay.ca help page specifies that the seller has to be located in Canada? (Assuming that is the reason for this seller not getting the discount.)

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

I am still getting a ghost Hi myname! at the bottom of My eBay pages for weeks now since I emailed Raphael about this. I replied to a topic where someone new had this issue and asked forum members about this. One person replied that they also see it.

I have tried it on several browsers (FireFox, IE, Chrome, Opera) and two different computers and on an iPad using Safari browser. I see it on all.  Also on eBay.com.au Australia. I saw it on eBay.fr France when I first reported it but no longer.

This is the topic where someone had the same issue.

http://community.ebay.ca/t5/User-to-User-Help/how-do-I-log-out-Nothing-beside-my-name-where-it-says-...

I am surprised this but has not been fixed.

PS Do any other forum readers of this post see the ghost Hi myname! at the bottom of My eBay pages? (Does not happen on other pages like from Selling Manager.

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

Good morning.

I know you guys in Toronto try to avoid dealing with the Global Shipping Program (GSP) questions.  Nobody in Toronto ever wants to deal with those questions.  However, sometimes it is important and relevant to the Canadian eBay community to get real, accurate and clear answers to some questions.  If you gals and guys in Toronto do not know the answers, you should know where to get them.

A few days ago, a Canadian buyer posted on the GSP thread:

"Pitney Bowes DOES NOT remit the impot fees they collect to Rev Canada or CBSA from eBay. I called Pitney Bowes and they informed me that eBay collects, disburses and sets the fees. "

Now, this is pretty clear.  Staffers at Pitney Bowes (USA) tell Canadians that they do not collect nor remit GST/HST (and duty if applicable) to the Canadian government.

The information posted by eBay.com indicates it does.

"Pitney Bowes will:

(C) account for and pay the assessed import duties and other taxes due upon importation of the GSP Item, each on your behalf,

....etc..."

It can only be one or the other.

So the question today requires a simple YES or NO.

Does Pitney Bowes and/or its agents actually collect and remit the GST/HST (and duty if applicable) collected from Canadian buyers on eBay and paid through PayPal to the Canadian government?

If the answer is YES as I expect, why would the staff at Pitney Bowes not know about it?

Hi Pierre,

The answer to your yes/no question is yes. Your other question regarding why the PB employee didn't know that, I'm unable to comment there.

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

@pocomocomputing wrote:

What happened to the print option on an item listing page?

When you clicked on it, you would get an eBay print page that allowed you to select different parts of the listing (four different section like description, picture, and so on).

See this topic in the forums today.

http://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Central/PRINT-button/m-p/295146

Posted by bookelph

PRINT  button on the item page seems to have disappeared

(it used to be on the right side of the page, just across from the DESCRIPTION and SHIPPING buttons, and beside REPORT ITEM.)

Checked on .com and .ca.. maybe I'm blind, but I can't see it if they've moved it.

Hi pocomocomputing,

It does appear that the print button on the View Item page has been retired, I am not seeing it on any sites either.

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

@pocomocomputing wrote:

How does Global TRS rules apply for 20% discount for sellers listing on eBay.ca but located outside of Canada?

For example, this seller is located in South Korea and posted this recent topic

http://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Central/Why-don-t-I-get-a-seller-discount/m-p/295028

What eBay.ca help page specifies that the seller has to be located in Canada? (Assuming that is the reason for this seller not getting the discount.)

On this one I'm unable to tell what is happening. I've sent this to a contact of mine on the Standards team, I'll update the thread when I get an answer. Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

Turbo Lister. Is it ever going to be improved as far as performance is concerned? It is a slow dog to work with.

Any rumors on what is happening to TL. A new database structure. A new program.

Last time I asked about TL in these forums, the reply back was there was going to be a big change in listing programs soon. But the surprise was that Blackthorne was being discontinued. It should have been TL in my opinion that should have been dropped and replaced with Blackthorne.

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

The PRINT function was useful (to me anyway).

Is there any way you can find out if it is permanently gone (I recall it disappeared another time, and reappeared just as mysteriously)

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

@pocomocomputing wrote:

I am still getting a ghost Hi myname! at the bottom of My eBay pages for weeks now since I emailed Raphael about this. I replied to a topic where someone new had this issue and asked forum members about this. One person replied that they also see it.

I have tried it on several browsers (FireFox, IE, Chrome, Opera) and two different computers and on an iPad using Safari browser. I see it on all.  Also on eBay.com.au Australia. I saw it on eBay.fr France when I first reported it but no longer.

This is the topic where someone had the same issue.

http://community.ebay.ca/t5/User-to-User-Help/how-do-I-log-out-Nothing-beside-my-name-where-it-says-...

I am surprised this but has not been fixed.

PS Do any other forum readers of this post see the ghost Hi myname! at the bottom of My eBay pages? (Does not happen on other pages like from Selling Manager.

We've notified the appropriate team about this. They have to triage it against everything else that's on their plate and since this doesn't break the business, it isn't surprising that it may taking time.

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

@pocomocomputing wrote:

Turbo Lister. Is it ever going to be improved as far as performance is concerned? It is a slow dog to work with.

Any rumors on what is happening to TL. A new database structure. A new program.

Last time I asked about TL in these forums, the reply back was there was going to be a big change in listing programs soon. But the surprise was that Blackthorne was being discontinued. It should have been TL in my opinion that should have been dropped and replaced with Blackthorne.

From what I know, I don't anticipate much improvements made to TL in the future. I could be wrong, but it doesn't look like there is much attention being given there.

A good alternative to TL is File Exchange, which allows you to work on your listings offline and make the magic happen all at once by uploading a CSV file. More on File Exchange here:

http://pages.ebay.ca/sellerinformation/sellingresources/fileexchange.html

Regarding the changes to Selling tools, most probably the person who told you about them was talking about the enhancements to Selling Manager and Selling Manager Pro, which now include a Drafts container which you can use via BEAR to create a large number of listings at once. This is my personal favourite way to create or manage listings in bulk. You can read more about this here:

http://pages.ebay.ca/selling_manager/intro.html

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

Poco, I have to disagree with you on this one. I use TL and find it works just great - for me anyway! I use it for both my stores.

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

@bookelph wrote:

The PRINT function was useful (to me anyway).

Is there any way you can find out if it is permanently gone (I recall it disappeared another time, and reappeared just as mysteriously)

Hi bookelph,

Sure, I'll ask and update this post when I get a reply.

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

This concludes our weekly chat for today. Thanks for participating and see you next week!

Message 15 of 15
latest reply