July 30th 2014 Weekly Board Hour

Hello Canadian eBayers!

Welcome to the Weekly Board Hour. Please start posting your questions and comments,. we will join you at 1 PM Eastern.

See you then!

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

I just manually revised an item, something I haven't done in a long time because I've been using TurboLister and now File Exchange.  I noticed a checkbox that said "relist your item for free up to 3 times".

If I take advantage of one of the listing promos, for instance the one that ended at midnight to list up to 5000 items free, will all 5000 of them relist for free up to 3 times if unsold? Is there a catch?  I assume that if you list for 10 days in the promo that the "free" relist would end up costing you the upgrade fee from 7 to 10 days, but if you listed for 7 days with the "3 relists free" box checked, would there be any extra fees?

Also, is there a corresponding box in File Exchange?

And an unrelated question - I bulk listed for the first time using File Exchange but I made a mistake with the picture URL.  I didn't have the pictures uploaded to the web when I sent in the File Exchange file, so ebay was unable to link the photo at the time of listing.  I uploaded the pictures afterwards, so now when you click on a listing the large photo does load.  However, the thumbnail picture in the list view doesn't show.  I have tried following the links provided by File Exchange to "fix" the photo problem, I have manually corrected the photo on ebay and I have tried correcting through Turbo Lister, but no matter what I do I cannot get the thumbnail to show.  Is there any way to fix this, or just learn for next time?

Thanks!

Jennifer

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

@stouffvillejen wrote:

I just manually revised an item, something I haven't done in a long time because I've been using TurboLister and now File Exchange.  I noticed a checkbox that said "relist your item for free up to 3 times".

If I take advantage of one of the listing promos, for instance the one that ended at midnight to list up to 5000 items free, will all 5000 of them relist for free up to 3 times if unsold? Is there a catch?  I assume that if you list for 10 days in the promo that the "free" relist would end up costing you the upgrade fee from 7 to 10 days, but if you listed for 7 days with the "3 relists free" box checked, would there be any extra fees?

Also, is there a corresponding box in File Exchange?

And an unrelated question - I bulk listed for the first time using File Exchange but I made a mistake with the picture URL.  I didn't have the pictures uploaded to the web when I sent in the File Exchange file, so ebay was unable to link the photo at the time of listing.  I uploaded the pictures afterwards, so now when you click on a listing the large photo does load.  However, the thumbnail picture in the list view doesn't show.  I have tried following the links provided by File Exchange to "fix" the photo problem, I have manually corrected the photo on ebay and I have tried correcting through Turbo Lister, but no matter what I do I cannot get the thumbnail to show.  Is there any way to fix this, or just learn for next time?

Thanks!

Jennifer

Hello Jennifer,

The feature you are asking about is called Auto Relist. Using Auto Relist, is 100% free, up to and including any extras you originally put on your listing, no matter if the original listing was part of a promo or not. So using Auto Relist never creates additional charges, although the "relists" may count against your monthly listing count if you have Seller Limits in place (not sure about this one, I'll check the facts and update this post when I know the answer). File Exchange doesn't support AR and likely won't in the foreseeable future.

Not sure what is going on with the thumbnails on the listings you created with File Exchange. I'll try to find someone from the Listing Tools team so they can take a look. For now, I checked your items in Search and they all show pictures there, so at least your buyers can see them. If I can find someone to address this for you I'll get in touch.

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

Hi Raphael,

This was brought up quite a while ago but it is still not fixed. Ebay changed the country of manufacturer in item specifics to Country/Region of Manufacturer but when the United States is entered in the new item specific term, the gsp doesn't recognize it and charges duty to Canadians rather than just tax.  I don't have time right now to give you some examples but I can send some to you if you want me to.

Also...why doesn't ebay require that gsp sellers MUST enter the manufacturing country in item specifics so that the correct duty/tax amount is charged? As it is now.....they can list without entering the info which means that in some cases, we are being overcharged.  It seems that PB would benefit in these cases though. If the seller enters a NAFTA country on the outside of the package, PB won't be required to submit duty for that item even though it has already been paid for by the buyer.  That would be true in the situation mentioned above as well. Perhaps the buyers should be the ones who benefit from NAFTA in all cases rather than PB.

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

Last week, a question was asked about the "page not responding" problem when users try to get information ion recent bids/purchases made by buyers.

Your reply (post 16): "Sorry I dont see "buyer" but I click on "by bidder" and was able to reproduce the error message. I'll inform the team. Thanks for reporting this issue."

A week later, the problem has not been corrected.

Are you sure it is an issue, not a policy change implemented a long time ago on eBay.com finally catching up on eBay.ca?

If so, why is eBay making it so difficult to find out what buyers are doing?

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

Hi Raphael,

This was brought up quite a while ago but it is still not fixed. Ebay changed the country of manufacturer in item specifics to Country/Region of Manufacturer but when the United States is entered in the new item specific term, the gsp doesn't recognize it and charges duty to Canadians rather than just tax.  I don't have time right now to give you some examples but I can send some to you if you want me to.

Also...why doesn't ebay require that gsp sellers MUST enter the manufacturing country in item specifics so that the correct duty/tax amount is charged? As it is now.....they can list without entering the info which means that in some cases, we are being overcharged.  It seems that PB would benefit in these cases though. If the seller enters a NAFTA country on the outside of the package, PB won't be required to submit duty for that item even though it has already been paid for by the buyer.  That would be true in the situation mentioned above as well. Perhaps the buyers should be the ones who benefit from NAFTA in all cases rather than PB.

Hi pjcdn2005,

Thanks for flagging this. Do you have a specific item number I can look at and take to the GSP team? I'll definitely want to follow up with them on this.

Edit: To answer your 2nd question, the whole point of GSP is to enable US sellers who normally don't export to be able to offer international shipping with no additional effort on their part. As such, and on eBay in general, making any attributes mandatory in the listing process usually results in huge breakage in listing completion rates, something that isn't desirable. It is Pitney Bowes' job to assess the Country of Origin and file the cross border paperwork accordingly. The Import Charges being something on which the buyer makes the decision to or to not go ahead and buy, we can't hold the seller responsible for the Country of Origin field. At the end of the day, if they don't fill that out properly and as a result, their listings show inflated Import Charges, they will be the ones losing business.

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi pierrelebel. Always nice to see you here. :-) Thanks for re-raising the issue regarding Items By Bidder. You are once again a step or two ahead of us: you guessed this correctly. It IS in fact a policy change. To project the privacy and security of all eBay users a decision was made to disable this feature globally. That being the case, the user experience that we're left with is obviously not good enough. We have asked for more helpful messaging around this, as it currently just looks broken.
Message 7 of 13
latest reply

Good afternoon Rodney.

Somehow, they seem to get you out of your office, from time to time, to answer my questions!

It makes me feel so special! Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

Some Canadian sellers have experienced difficulty leaving feedback for their buyers:

http://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Central/Not-able-to-leave-feedback-What-s-this/m-p/254177#U254177

Are you aware of the issue?

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Pierrelebel. You ARE special. :-) Actually we all sit together in an open concept office here, so there's nowhere for me to hide even if I wanted to. I am nearly always here in the background during board hour.
Message 10 of 13
latest reply

raphael@ebay.com wrote:

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

Hi Raphael,

Hi pjcdn2005,

Thanks for flagging this. Do you have a specific item number I can look at and take to the GSP team? I'll definitely want to follow up with them on this.

Edit: To answer your 2nd question, the whole point of GSP is to enable US sellers who normally don't export to be able to offer international shipping with no additional effort on their part. As such, and on eBay in general, making any attributes mandatory in the listing process usually results in huge breakage in listing completion rates, something that isn't desirable. It is Pitney Bowes' job to assess the Country of Origin and file the cross border paperwork accordingly. The Import Charges being something on which the buyer makes the decision to or to not go ahead and buy, we can't hold the seller responsible for the Country of Origin field. At the end of the day, if they don't fill that out properly and as a result, their listings show inflated Import Charges, they will be the ones losing business.

I will send you some listing numbers later on.

As far as your second point....I disagree.  For one thing, many sellers don't even realize that it is a issue if they don't list the import charges in the items specifics.Plus, having the wrong import charges listed does not affect just that seller, it affects all of ebay and all sellers. Some buyers see the incorrect charges and see it as ebay being dishonest and as money grabbers. If those buyers leave ebay, that affects all of us. Imagine too how many people that particular buyer tells other potential buyers about the overcharge on import fees.

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

Some Canadian sellers have experienced difficulty leaving feedback for their buyers:

http://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Central/Not-able-to-leave-feedback-What-s-this/m-p/254177#U254177

Are you aware of the issue?

Hi Pierre,

I'll get that looked at by the Feedback team. Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

This concludes this week's Board Hour. Thanks for participating and see you nest week!

Message 13 of 13
latest reply