September 30th 2015 Weekly Session

Hello everyone,

Welcome to our weekly session. Today I'll leave the thread open for most of the day and come reply as time permits.

Here are the issues I am currently tracking:

• Full shipping FVF charged on combined orders with discounted shipping (dutchman48)
  • Notifications reappearing in the header (pocomocomputing)
  • UPC codes suddenly not recognized on live listings (mjwl2006)

And the issues for which I have had news:

• Listings allowed to go live without a photo (rose-dee) - This is a known bug that is being worked on.
  • SYI stripping the weight off when switching back to USD on an item that was originally in USD and set up with calculated shipping (block36) - bug has been logged and work should begin soon.
  • SYI preventing relist and Sell Similar if the original listing had a non compliant photo (pierrelebel) - problem has been identified and I am engaging with the relevant team to address.
Message 1 of 50
latest reply
49 REPLIES 49

Hi Raphael

Got emails today in my email that I had offer on 4 items (All listed on .com)

Clicked on review and respond and it says I do not have any offers. but bottom right says you have one competing offer or such.

Logged into .ca where my store is and no emails in messages for offers.

Then logged out and logged into .com and the offers show up. I opened one of the messages and clicked on review and respond and I had to sign into .ca to then deal with the offer.

Is this going to be more of the garbage Ebay is playing with for Canadians listing on .com and .ca if they are in Canada?

Any one else have any of these issues showing up yet.

Please find out if this is also going to be the norm automatically for Canadians listing on .com and .ca together. I open my ID through .ca.

Message 2 of 50
latest reply

Good morning Raphael and Rodney

I am confused (what else is new?)

Could you please take a few minutes today and clarify where eBay-Canada stands in the larger eBay world.

Many years ago (2007-2009?)  eBay announced that eBay-Canada would be incorporated into a North American eBay for marketing purposes.  When eBay releases financial information, it generally divides revenues into two sources: domestic (presumably USA) and international.  Where does Canada fit into that? 

When dealing with Canadians, is eBay looking at us as where we are located (Canada) or where we buy (eBay.ca / eBay.com) or where we sell (eBay.ca / eBay.com) ?

In other words, where does eBay Inc see us, Canadians?

Message 3 of 50
latest reply

@dutchman48 wrote:

Hi Raphael

Clicked on review and respond and it says I do not have any offers. but bottom right says you have one competing offer or such.

Then logged out and logged into .com and the offers show up. I opened one of the messages and clicked on review and respond and I had to sign into .ca to then deal with the offer.

Is this going to be more of the garbage Ebay is playing with for Canadians listing on .com and .ca if they are in Canada?

Please find out if this is also going to be the norm automatically for Canadians listing on .com and .ca together. I open my ID through .ca.

Hi dutchman48,

I just looked at your eBay Messages on eBay.com and I see all 4 offer emails there. Can you have a look and confirm? 

Message 4 of 50
latest reply

Raphael

I also now can no longer send an invoice from .ca as well. I have to log into .com and never had to before.

Message 5 of 50
latest reply

raphael@ebay.com wrote:

@dutchman48 wrote:

Hi Raphael

Hi dutchman48,

I just looked at your eBay Messages on eBay.com and I see all 4 offer emails there. Can you have a look and confirm? 

I said they were on .com. They never were on .ca until I went through the double login as stated above. I just also added I can no longer send an invoice from .ca either

Message 6 of 50
latest reply

@dutchman48 wrote:

Raphael

I also now can no longer send an invoice from .ca as well. I have to log into .com and never had to before.

Can you send me an email with the details of the invoice you're trying to send so I can try for myself?

Message 7 of 50
latest reply

@dutchman48 wrote:

raphael@ebay.com wrote:

@dutchman48 wrote:

Hi Raphael

Hi dutchman48,

I said they were on .com. They never were on .ca until I went through the double login as stated above. I just also added I can no longer send an invoice from .ca either

Since the issue isn't visible anymore (missing emails on .ca) it's impossible for me to trouble shoot this. If you ever see this happen again please don't touch anything and email me directly.

Message 8 of 50
latest reply

raphael@ebay.com wrote:

@dutchman48 wrote:

raphael@ebay.com wrote:

@dutchman48 wrote:

Hi Raphael

Hi dutchman48,

Since the issue isn't visible anymore (missing emails on .ca) it's impossible for me to trouble shoot this. If you ever see this happen again please don't touch anything and email me directly.

I do have to deal with my offers and buyers!

Message 9 of 50
latest reply

@dutchman48 wrote:

raphael@ebay.com wrote:

@dutchman48 wrote:

raphael@ebay.com wrote:

@dutchman48 wrote:

Hi Raphael

Hi dutchman48,

Of course, which is why I ask that you contact me as soon as you see the problem so I can take a look and allow you to continue on with your business 🙂

Message 10 of 50
latest reply

Good Morning,

I'm still a little baffled by the Fall Seller Update and how the on time shipping will play out. I was working on a few of my existing listings today, closely looking at my pictures, layout etc and clicked on the Shipping and Payment tab. Here it tells the potential buyer the service I am using and the estimated delivery time,  but then right there under that, there is little disclaimer put there by ebay on all listings, it states the following:

"Estimated delivery dates-  include seller's handling time, origin Postal Code, destination Postal Code and time of acceptance and will depend on shipping service selected and receipt of  cleared payment. Delivery times may vary, especially during peak periods."

To me, Ebay is saying "hey, things happen, and not all delivery estimates are perfect due to unforeseen circumstances",(I get that) yet you will then allow a buyer to rate us, give us a defect if the item doesn't arrive in that estimated time. On one had you are saying the system isn't perfect with shipping estimates because of variables, yet on the other hand you will hold sellers accountable for an imperfect system. 

It is really troubling to know that after all these years of 100% positive feedback and superior service that you will allow any buyer on any given day the power to remove my TRS status with one click when they rate me on the performance of Canada Post, U.S Customs and USPS ability to deliver in what Ebay clearly states on every listing is an "estimate" and deliver times may vary.  

I think you have explained that you have built in adequate "padding"  on those estimates then why add the disclaimer if they are not confident. As we know weather, customs, incorrect routing, all play a part in on time delivery and a seller absolutely cannot control that. 

Thanks for your time.

Message 11 of 50
latest reply

Hi Pierre,

@pierrelebel wrote:

Many years ago (2007-2009?)  eBay announced that eBay-Canada would be incorporated into a North American eBay for marketing purposes.  When eBay releases financial information, it generally divides revenues into two sources: domestic (presumably USA) and international.  Where does Canada fit into that?

This one I'll pass to Rodney.

@pierrelebel wrote:

When dealing with Canadians, is eBay looking at us as where we are located (Canada) or where we buy (eBay.ca / eBay.com) or where we sell (eBay.ca / eBay.com) ?

In other words, where does eBay Inc see us, Canadians?

In the eBay ecosystem, Canadian users are defined as any users with an address located in Canada. With that said, certain policies or programs may look at geographical location, site of listing or site of purchase to determine which program they fall under. For example:

• Sellers' performance standards are measured against thresholds specific to regions where their buyers are located. Sales to US buyers count against US standards and sales to all buyers count against Global standards.
  • Buyers are covered by the protection program attached to the site from which they buy.

Message 12 of 50
latest reply

@amya4295 wrote:

Good Morning,

I'm still a little baffled by the Fall Seller Update and how the on time shipping will play out. I was working on a few of my existing listings today, closely looking at my pictures, layout etc and clicked on the Shipping and Payment tab. Here it tells the potential buyer the service I am using and the estimated delivery time,  but then right there under that, there is little disclaimer put there by ebay on all listings, it states the following:

"Estimated delivery dates-  include seller's handling time, origin Postal Code, destination Postal Code and time of acceptance and will depend on shipping service selected and receipt of  cleared payment. Delivery times may vary, especially during peak periods."

To me, Ebay is saying "hey, things happen, and not all delivery estimates are perfect due to unforeseen circumstances",(I get that) yet you will then allow a buyer to rate us, give us a defect if the item doesn't arrive in that estimated time. On one had you are saying the system isn't perfect with shipping estimates because of variables, yet on the other hand you will hold sellers accountable for an imperfect system. 

It is really troubling to know that after all these years of 100% positive feedback and superior service that you will allow any buyer on any given day the power to remove my TRS status with one click when they rate me on the performance of Canada Post, U.S Customs and USPS ability to deliver in what Ebay clearly states on every listing is an "estimate" and deliver times may vary.  

I think you have explained that you have built in adequate "padding"  on those estimates then why add the disclaimer if they are not confident. As we know weather, customs, incorrect routing, all play a part in on time delivery and a seller absolutely cannot control that. 

Thanks for your time. 

Hi amya4295,

I totally understand that it might feel like the control is out of your hands when it comes to on time shipping, especially if you use untracked shipping services. In about a month, you'll start seeing what your OTS metric looks like in the Seller Dashboard preview. That preview will show you how well you fare under the new rules, a full 3 months before these rules come in effect. You might see that things aren't as bad as they might seem today. In any case, once there is data to look at it will be much easier to assess the impact of the OTS metric on any seller's business. 

Message 13 of 50
latest reply

"Buyers are covered by the protection program attached to the site from which they buy."

What exactly does that mean?

If a Canadian buyer, with a Canadian address, logged on eBay.com, purchase an item from a Canadian seller who has listed on eBay.ca, which protection program applies?  What if the Canadian seller had listed on eBay.com?  Is there a difference if the buyer was logged in on eBay.ca?

Message 14 of 50
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

"Buyers are covered by the protection program attached to the site from which they buy."

If a Canadian buyer, with a Canadian address, logged on eBay.com, purchase an item from a Canadian seller who has listed on eBay.ca, which protection program applies?  What if the Canadian seller had listed on eBay.com?  Is there a difference if the buyer was logged in on eBay.ca?

When it comes to buyer protection, it only depends on what site the buyer was on when they purchased the item. Listing site, seller and buyer countries have no relevance what so ever.

So in your first scenario above (buyer purchasing from eBay.com), the buyer wold be protected under the eBay.com program. If the buyer bought on eBay.ca instead, they would be protected under the eBay.ca program.

The eBay.com and eBay.ca programs are identical.

Message 15 of 50
latest reply

raphael@ebay.com wrote:

@dutchman48 wrote:

raphael@ebay.com wrote:

@dutchman48 wrote:

raphael@ebay.com wrote:

@dutchman48 wrote:

Hi Raphael

Hi dutchman48,

Of course, which is why I ask that you contact me as soon as you see the problem so I can take a look and allow you to continue on with your business 🙂

I just sent my invoice on the 4 items from .com, and the shipping discounts set up are not working. Shipping should have been $3 and it wanted to charge $6.

How much more of this garbage are we in Canada supposed to put up with before getting fed up?

Raphael, this is no reflection on you but on Ebay treating Canadians as trash.

I will also be checking my invoices to make sure the 20% discount still applies to sales on .com since nothing else is the same any more.

Message 16 of 50
latest reply

raphael@ebay.com wrote:

@pierrelebel wrote:

When it comes to buyer protection, it only depends on what site the buyer was on when they purchased the item. Listing site, seller and buyer countries have no relevance what so ever.

So in your first scenario above (buyer purchasing from eBay.com), the buyer wold be protected under the eBay.com program. If the buyer bought on eBay.ca instead, they would be protected under the eBay.ca program.

The eBay.com and eBay.ca programs are identical.

This is going to be a nightmare as well especially with all the stuff I have seen happen today.

Message 17 of 50
latest reply

@dutchman48 wrote:

raphael@ebay.com wrote:

@dutchman48 wrote:

raphael@ebay.com wrote:

@dutchman48 wrote:

raphael@ebay.com wrote:

@dutchman48 wrote:

Hi Raphael

Hi dutchman48,

I just sent my invoice on the 4 items from .com, and the shipping discounts set up are not working. Shipping should have been $3 and it wanted to charge $6.

How much more of this garbage are we in Canada supposed to put up with before getting fed up?

I will also be checking my invoices to make sure the 20% discount still applies to sales on .com since nothing else is the same any more.

I take no offence at all from what you are saying. I would however love to be able to investigate and figure out any of the issues you encounter, but I really don't have enough to look at. Are you able to send me an email with all the details you can gather? Which order was it that gave you the wrong shipping charge on the invoice? Thanks in advance.

Message 18 of 50
latest reply

I understand that we will have that data provided soon and as I have 5 full stars for shipping, I can assume that things must be going ok for me, but will buyers act differently when having to answer a very specific question with specific dates about when their item arrived? Maybe most will click positively, maybe some will feel that a Canadian shipment took far longer than a U.S shipment and click no, despite overall positive feedback, because they can't remember when it arrived but in their mind it took too long! I have U.S buyers contact me after two days looking for their items even after I send them a courtesy email reminding them that it is an International sale. I guess the part that wasn't answered is why does ebay call these times an estimate, whose definition is "an approximate judgement", and places a disclaimer under our shipping services, yet holds a firm line in using that estimate to judge the quality of us as sellers.

One last thing, if a buyer tries to answer the "did this item arrived by this date " question with a "no" but the estimated shipping time period has not even elapsed yet, will the system stop them. Example buyer receives item Oct 3rd and goes to leave feedback on October 3rd - estimated time was between Oct.1st-Oct. 4th and he tries to say "no" it did not arrive on time. Will the system stop that and advise them that the allowable time has not elapsed yet so if they are in receipt of the item they should choose "yes".
Message 19 of 50
latest reply

raphael@ebay.com wrote:

@dutchman48 wrote:

raphael@ebay.com wrote:

@dutchman48 wrote:

raphael@ebay.com wrote:

@dutchman48 wrote:

raphael@ebay.com wrote:

@dutchman48 wrote:

Hi Raphael

Hi dutchman48,

I take no offence at all from what you are saying. I would however love to be able to investigate and figure out any of the issues you encounter, but I really don't have enough to look at. Are you able to send me an email with all the details you can gather? Which order was it that gave you the wrong shipping charge on the invoice? Thanks in advance.

I just had someone in the US buy 12 tokens after I accepted all his offers. He paid for each one separately. I hope it is not another one of these cart issues where they can not be added to the cart because Ebay chooses to have them show up as immediate payment required. That needs an answer ASAP as I am tired of Ebay gouging on shipping as well as Paypal on multiple payments. I can't afford to refund all the extra payment and eat the costs for $3 and $4 items.

Please find out about this ASAP as I am totally PO'd this morning with all the you know what with no notification of any kind from Ebay of any changes.

Message 20 of 50
latest reply