June 7 2017 Weekly Session

qottie
Community Member

Hello everyone,

Opening up the thread for our Weekly Chat Session for June 7, 2017.  This thread will be open until tomorrow, so please post any questions or subjects for which you would like eBay support.

Speak to you tomorrow!

Message 1 of 23
latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

On the discussion boards I would like to see the date that the discussion started.  That might help with these zombie threads from the 1900's.

date started.jpg

Message 2 of 23
latest reply

And perhaps eBay could let Lithium know that when we spot those threads, someone usually says it is a Zombie Thread or a Necro Thread.

A quick daily Search for those terms by Lithium would allow closing them to further comment.

Message 3 of 23
latest reply

It was in Reply 14 of the May 24 session that I made a first note of the fact that  I had changed my billing currency from US to Canada dollars in May of 2016, and for about 12 months I was still being invoiced my store subscription in US dollars.

My last invoice in US dollars covered a period from April 16 to May 15.

The discussion did not appear to go well oln May 24... so I immediately went to eBay and found someone  who finally made an adjustment.

I did get an invoice in Canadian dollars on May 31.... The billing was for May 1 to June 30...l two full months....

However... that invoice  was a mess.

(1)  I was being billed  for May 1 to May 15.... My yearly store subscription for this time period  was already paid on my most recent US dollar invoice.

(2) My subscription for an Anchor Store  was being double billed.....  first as a monthly subscription  and second as a yearly subscription.

To help you understand the situation  I will be forwarding several emails to you.

First,,,, information about my US dollars invoice

Second ... information on my invoice in Canadian dollars  about the period covered.. May 1 to June 30, and then the double billing for my Anchor store subscription

Third......  This is my analysis of what should happen....  The quickest way to adjust the invoice  is to add a discount....  and then hope this never happens again.

An adjustment must be made.... The  sooner the better...  If I have to pay this Canadian dollars invoice....  eBay will most definitely have one UNhappy seller...

and then knowing eBay... I just my get another bill in US dollars...  please make sure this does `not happen.

and then the billing in Canadian dollars should be for a yearly subscription of an Anchor store...

Please make the adjustments to the May 31 invoice... Now .....not tomorrow....

If the adjustment is not made... then my continued selling on eBay is put into a difficult situation

Message 4 of 23
latest reply

Can anyone explain this?  All my listings show in US $  listed on .com but when I go to my active sheet it shows I listed on .ca.  There is no difference whether I listed on .com in US $ or on .ca in CDN $, they all show up as .ca?????  Also when I check ebay.com it shows the same thing.  

listed on .ca.jpg

Message 5 of 23
latest reply

Just wondering if there is any chance that we will be able to print labels for oversize letterpost items when we move over to Shippo? It would save a lot of drives to a post office for us rural sellers.

Message 6 of 23
latest reply

Good morning! 

I absolutely do not mean to step on any toes, but there have been so many questions asked, threads started, and answers given, in many different places over the past week or two concerning how the automated shipping discount/flat rules operate, some of it apparently contradictory, some of it later corrected, that this subject begs clarification. 

For the sake of every seller who comes to this open forum, and as a point of easy reference, could someone at eBay Canada please set out a comprehensive explanation of how the automated shipping/flat rules function, both on their own and in conjunction with checkout features (e.g. cart, "Request Total").  I've been an eBay user for over 15 years, both as an experienced buyer and experienced seller, and I'm still confused.  

If eBay is right (and I imagine they are) that buyers prefer not to communicate with their sellers on checkout, then I would think that understanding precisely how automated checkout rules are currently programmed by eBay is critical to sellers. 

Maybe a flow chart would help to explain various scenarios?  I'm interested specifically in what the buyer sees at their end.  Just a few examples (referring to Canadian sellers only) of scenarios might be: 

1)  A Seller lists on both .ca and .com with flat rate shipping, and has discount rules (no flat rules) set up on both sites; 

2)  Buyer logged onto .com purchases items that are listed on both sites and puts them in one cart; 

3)  Buyer logged onto .ca does the same; 

4)  Same seller has discount and flat rules set up on both sites -- what happens with buyer logged onto .com and buyer logged onto .ca? 

5)  Same seller has discount rules set up on .com only, and U.S.-resident buyer logged onto .com puts items from both sites in cart; 

6)  Same seller has discount rules and flat rules set up on .com only, and same .com buyer puts items from both sites in cart; 

7)  Same situations as #5) and 6), but U.S. buyer is logged onto .ca only

😎  Same situations as #5) and 6), but Canadian-resident buyer is logged onto .ca to purchase; 

9)  Same situations as #5) and 6), but Canadian-resident buyer is logged onto .com to purchase; 

10)  Same seller has no discount/flat rules set up on either site, and buyer puts items from one (or, alternatively, both) sites in cart -- will "Request Total" be available to buyer on both sites?  Will U.S. and Canadian buyers see exactly the same thing, regardless of where they reside, or which site they log onto to purchase?

11)  A seller lists on .com only and has a discount rule (e.g. "buy 4, get free shipping") set up on that site  What happens when a buyer puts 3 items in their cart?  My understanding is that "Request Total" is then not available (and the buyer will get the error screen saying seller has disallowed shipping discounts)?  Would setting up a flat rule on that site to cover situations where 2 to 3 items are put in the cart obviate that problem?

12)  What if the seller lists on both .ca and .com and wants to set up such rules on both sites?  What will buyers on each site see?

Other concerns:

(a) In general, do shipping discount rules and flat shipping rules work together?  In other words, do they ever cancel each other out?  Is it possible to have both discount rules and flat shipping rules on two sites (.com and .ca)? 

(b) What about listing on 3 sites?  Many sellers would like to list on .ca, .com and .uk for example.  How do discount/flat rules work on other sites (or do they?), how do they work in conjunction with rules on .ca and .com (especially if a buyer puts items from more than 1 site in their cart), and can 3 sets of rules be set up?

Lastly, if a seller wants to list on both sites (.ca and .com), what is currently the best way to ensure that: 

(a)  No buyer will see the red error screen mentioned above; 

(b)  Buyers from whichever country, logged onto whichever site to buy from that seller, can put whatever they want (regardless of listing site) into one cart and be assured they will get automatic discounts that the seller has set up applied properly to all items? 

I think we need help...Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 23
latest reply

@musicyouneed wrote:

On the discussion boards I would like to see the date that the discussion started.  That might help with these zombie threads from the 1900's.

date started.jpg

This is a good suggestion, and one that we've worked with Lithium to incorporate into other sites' Communities. Currently there is not a way to build that out on the current version of the Canadian Community boards, but it's something we will look for in the event of a redesign.

Tyler,
eBay
Message 8 of 23
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

And perhaps eBay could let Lithium know that when we spot those threads, someone usually says it is a Zombie Thread or a Necro Thread.

A quick daily Search for those terms by Lithium would allow closing them to further comment.

Good idea - I know it's something that is on their radar, but I'm not sure how much time they have to spend locking necro threads. If you do come across any please feel free to tag me in it and I will get them locked out too. I try to spend at least one day a week going through and locking out older threads, but as we all know, there are a lot of them. Pinpointing ones that are particularly bothersome would help me out. 🙂 Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 9 of 23
latest reply

@cumos55 wrote:

It was in Reply 14 of the May 24 session that I made a first note of the fact that  I had changed my billing currency from US to Canada dollars in May of 2016, and for about 12 months I was still being invoiced my store subscription in US dollars.

My last invoice in US dollars covered a period from April 16 to May 15.

The discussion did not appear to go well oln May 24... so I immediately went to eBay and found someone  who finally made an adjustment.

I did get an invoice in Canadian dollars on May 31.... The billing was for May 1 to June 30...l two full months....

However... that invoice  was a mess.

(1)  I was being billed  for May 1 to May 15.... My yearly store subscription for this time period  was already paid on my most recent US dollar invoice.

(2) My subscription for an Anchor Store  was being double billed.....  first as a monthly subscription  and second as a yearly subscription.

To help you understand the situation  I will be forwarding several emails to you.

First,,,, information about my US dollars invoice

Second ... information on my invoice in Canadian dollars  about the period covered.. May 1 to June 30, and then the double billing for my Anchor store subscription

Third......  This is my analysis of what should happen....  The quickest way to adjust the invoice  is to add a discount....  and then hope this never happens again.

An adjustment must be made.... The  sooner the better...  If I have to pay this Canadian dollars invoice....  eBay will most definitely have one UNhappy seller...

and then knowing eBay... I just my get another bill in US dollars...  please make sure this does `not happen.

and then the billing in Canadian dollars should be for a yearly subscription of an Anchor store...

Please make the adjustments to the May 31 invoice... Now .....not tomorrow....

If the adjustment is not made... then my continued selling on eBay is put into a difficult situation

Hi Cumos55 - I've been out of the office for the past week, which is why I haven't replied to your PMs. I'm aware of the situation and will be in touch with you today about what I can find out. Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 10 of 23
latest reply

@vintagenorth wrote:

Just wondering if there is any chance that we will be able to print labels for oversize letterpost items when we move over to Shippo? It would save a lot of drives to a post office for us rural sellers.

Hi vintagenorth,

Let me take this offline, and see if I can find that out for you via Shippo & Canada Post.  I will update this thread when I have an answer, and send you a direct message to confirm.  I should have the answer shortly.

Message 11 of 23
latest reply

@musicyouneed wrote:

Can anyone explain this?  All my listings show in US $  listed on .com but when I go to my active sheet it shows I listed on .ca.  There is no difference whether I listed on .com in US $ or on .ca in CDN $, they all show up as .ca?????  Also when I check ebay.com it shows the same thing.  

listed on .ca.jpg

That's definitely unusual, as that column should be reflecting the actual listing site. I'll get this reported as a potential technical issue - thank you for bringing it to my attention!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 12 of 23
latest reply

Hi @vintagenorth,

I got a quicker reply than expected, and unfortunately Shippo will not support the Canada Post Letterpost service, much like the PayPal solution doesn't support it today.  If you are looking to buy labels for Letterpost, I believe you can do that on the Canada Post EST system, though I am not sure if it supports oversize items as well.  Hopefully that will help reduce your drives to the post office.

Message 13 of 23
latest reply

When will we get updates from any of the issues from last fall?

2nd request

Message 14 of 23
latest reply

@vintagenorth wrote:

Weigh and measure and use postage

Message 15 of 23
latest reply

@dutchman48 wrote:

When will we get updates from any of the issues from last fall?

2nd request

We're still chasing updates on this. We'll send another request for more info and update this thread tagging you when we hear back. Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 16 of 23
latest reply

And it is possible to buy discount postage on eBay! *cough*

Message 17 of 23
latest reply

Hi rose-dee,

We are short on time for this hour, but I will try to get a response up to your questions later today.  I will mention you in the post so you know the answer is up. 

Message 18 of 23
latest reply

tyler@ebay
Community Member

Thanks for joining us - the weekly chat is now closed.

We'll be back next week, and will open a thread next Tuesday afternoon/evening for you to post your questions throughout the night.

Tyler,
eBay
Message 19 of 23
latest reply

femmefan1946,

Can you be more specific?  Do you mean buying postage right on eBay.ca?  Or are you asking for discounts on a specific type of postage?  Obviously you can buy discounted postage for many services via the eBay / PayPal solution, and the same will be true when we move to the Shippo partnership.

If you get cut-off by the thread being shut down and have a specific question, you can message me or post your question elsewhere.

Message 20 of 23
latest reply